IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race track superstitions
10/29/09, 3:37 AM   #1
Race track superstitions
HoosierDirt

Most people are superstitious in one way or another. Auto racing has it's own line of superstitious things.Some of the things that I have heard about include:
Eating peanuts in the pits.
Eating fried chicken the day of the race.
Wearing of anything with the color green on it.
Having a green car or anytype of green on the car
And of course the number 13.
Putting the 'right' glove on first before the left.
Putting on the helmet before entering the car.

If you ever tried to eat a peanut in close proximity of a racecar, you most likely would be asked to quickly move away from the car.
It's a known fact that most racecar drivers are quite superstitious. So where did it all start? The legend of the peanut comes from years ago when supposedly a driver in the Modifieds was eating peanuts before he went out to race and subsequently crashed and died.
The story of the peanut spread through the racing circuit like a bad case of poison ivy. Before you knew it, nobody would touch a peanut at the racetrack
Then you have the color green -- I mean anything green: clothes, cars, you name it. Green cars supposedly wreck more than other color cars so no one wants to drive one.
The list goes on and on but you get the picture. Racecar drivers are superstitious and they make no bones about it. So if you find yourself cruising around the garage area, take my advice -- whatever you do, don't EVER eat green peanut M&M's or you might find yourself flying over the fence and I don't mean in an airplane
Last edited by HoosierDirt; 10/29/09 at 4:17 AM.

1 member likes this post: VaDirt
10/29/09, 3:54 AM   #2
Re: Race track superstitions
Russ

When my uncle raced at Kokomo & Bunker Hill in the 1960's & 1970's. He was serious about the "no peanuts in the pits" thing. I got cussed up and down for sitting on the left rear and eating peanuts one Sunday night at Kokomo. I was only 15 and he scared the crap out of me.

10/29/09, 6:32 AM   #3
Danny Burton

Wimmen in the pits used to be a no-no. I can't imagine why. Just kidding, ladies; don't forget that.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

10/29/09, 7:44 AM   #4
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
Wimmen in the pits used to be a no-no. I can't imagine why. Just kidding, ladies; don't forget that.
Danny, women are bad luck all around, not just in the pits :2: Ladies I am simply joking, but it's because the DWB has such bad luck with them. Show me a little love every now and then.

10/29/09, 8:07 AM   #5
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny burton View Post
wimmen in the pits used to be a no-no. I can't imagine why. just kidding, ladies; don't forget that.
but now look at them...when the big dogs are in town....the wimmen ...is usually eye candy for us perverts....lol

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
10/29/09, 10:08 AM   #6
GregD

The superstition about peanuts is very old. The way I heard it is that it comes from the midget races at the Nutley Velodrome in the late '30s. Before the races fans would put gifts on the seats of the midgets. One of the drivers received a bag of peanuts and you guessed it he was killed in the race.
I have no idea if this is correct but it is what I have always heard and I know that the superstition has been around longer than I have. Duke, what have you heard on this superstition?

10/29/09, 10:47 AM   #7
cmakin

I read somewhere that the peanut superstition has origins at IMS. The way I was told, this was back when folks (fans) used to build their own scaffolding over their passenger cars to watch from the infield. It seems that one year there was a delay, and one (or more) of the race cars was parked under or near some of the scaffolding until the race was run. On raceday, this particular car had mechanical trouble, and pieces of peanut shells were found in the intake. So far as I am concerned, the supertition is aimed more at peanuts in the shell than the other.

10/29/09, 12:42 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

The ole Number being the same upside down as right side up comes to mind. But I haven't witnessed it being unlucky
69 11 88 all have championships

10/29/09, 1:13 PM   #9
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
The ole Number being the same upside down as right side up comes to mind. But I haven't witnessed it being unlucky
69 11 88 all have championships
Chuck, to some 69 is a very good number.

I've always looked at it this way: If I cheer for someone they will have bad luck. That's why I tell everyone I know and am friends with I am not cheering for them during the race.
Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 10/29/09 at 1:14 PM.

10/29/09, 1:56 PM   #10
LEADERS EDGE

Some people believe that cameras steal your soul as well.

Something as common as peanuts and underwear can only have power over you if you believe it does. If you believe it is, it is. No matter what the truth is.

I think Steve Kinser kind of blows up many of those superstisions.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Race track superstitions