IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Stewart open wheel racing (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=23901)

badgerfan 9/29/09 9:09 PM

Re: Stewart open wheel racing

Anybody have a guess on Smoke at the Chili Bowl or Fort Wayne?

lilrim 9/29/09 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerfan (Post 138307)
Anybody have a guess on Smoke at the Chili Bowl or Fort Wayne?

I Dont think he will miss his two favorite races of the year.?

RJ21 9/30/09 1:27 AM

To sum up an answer to whats wrong with TSR openwheel division, Getting rid of Jay Drake and turning over control to Outlaw side of shop appears to have caused a loss of focus on USAC side.Cutback of money on Chevs part im sure didnt help, Midget engine program never got competive, again due to Chevs cutbacks, Levi and Tracy have remained competive in spite of probleme all year, Lets hope Tony gets things back on even keel so we dont lose this team next year.

Midget82 9/30/09 3:40 AM

I liked how the midget program ended, but was then Tony was able to run one of the cars himself... Kinda funny to me. :19:

ChappyEight 9/30/09 8:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midget82 (Post 138368)
I liked how the midget program ended, but was then Tony was able to run one of the cars himself... Kinda funny to me. :19:

Well, he does own them. You don't need an entire program to have one on hand for whenever you want.

openwheelKT 9/30/09 8:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ21 (Post 138362)
To sum up an answer to whats wrong with TSR openwheel division, Getting rid of Jay Drake and turning over control to Outlaw side of shop appears to have caused a loss of focus on USAC side.

True or not, that's what I have thought since about mid-season. The focus doesn't seem to be the same on the USAC side. Hines drove a "wing car" for several shows recently. He was back to the "regular" car this weekend. Not sure what the thought process or reason was for that.

dirtywhiteboy 9/30/09 8:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by openwheelKT (Post 138386)
True or not, that's what I have thought since about mid-season. The focus doesn't seem to be the same on the USAC side. Hines drove a "wing car" for several shows recently. He was back to the "regular" car this weekend. Not sure what the thought process or reason was for that.

Maybe Tony wants to audition drivers for the 15 car if the rumors of Schatz leaving and joining with the Big Game treestand team (team owner's name escapes me) that McCarl use to drive for are true.

If I had access to a driver with the talent that Tracy Hines has, I'd find a way to keep him in one of my cars.

openwheelKT 9/30/09 9:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy (Post 138387)
Maybe Tony wants to audition drivers for the 15 car if the rumors of Schatz leaving and joining with the Big Game treestand team (team owner's name escapes me) that McCarl use to drive for are true.

If I had access to a driver with the talent that Tracy Hines has, I'd find a way to keep him in one of my cars.

I’m not sure how running a wing car without a wing would be a good audition. Tod Quiring is the guy’s name. That’s where Dollansky is heading to next year. McCarl still drives for him and will do so again next year. They will be teammates. They could have a 3rd car, but I would be surprised.

LEADERS EDGE 9/30/09 10:37 AM

It's Tony's stuff....he can do with it what he wants. Would he have raced under the conditions that his USAC guys have this year.....no, but then again he has people hired to run those teams and he must trust their judgement.

Anyone that knows me knows I am not a Stewart apologist, but it's his business just like it's our choice where we spend our money. Kasey Kahne is the same way. With the help of their sponsors, their WoO teams make money and their USAC teams lose money. Simple as that.

This is an extremely interesting discussion in these terms: The so-called dream is to be able to race for a living. Part of that is gathering sponsors and higher paying shows. To make the sponsors happy you have to advertise and all of that.

My point is this:All the talk is about the "little guy" and how they are left out and all of that, but if it wasn't for the "big guy" who does the little guy go drive for? Also, can't the "little guy" become a "big guy" if his business takes off or he hit's the lottery or what have you. It isn't like the people who are the "big guys" were always the big guy. Some maybe, but not all.

It isn't like all of a sudden lawyers,doctors and successful businessmen started owning race cars. That is how it's pretty much always been. The difference is they wouldn't put their own kids in them then, but now most successful people who are car owners will put their child in it instead of hiring a driver. That again is kind of a jealousy thing because when I hear someone say: " Those spoiled kids with their rich daddies are ruining the sport" what I hear is: "Man I wish I had what they have". I will agree that some of those kids don't have respect for theirs or others equipment, but many do. There are alot of broke guys who don't have respect for theirs or others equipment either.

By 1998 a new Brayton SB2-2 Midget Motor was $20,000. We got 15 races between rebuilds and that was with diligent overseeing. Today, the middle range Esslinger is $22,000. From what I hear you can get 15-20 shows between rebuilds. You can win races at 99.5% of all of the tracks in the country with that motor. It is a far superior motor than the Toyota and house Chevy. Much more reliable than the Fontana and Esslinger XT.

Ask the Clauson family what they won Belleville with. The biggest motor eater in the country. It wasn't a $40,000 motor. It wasn't even their best motor.

I to this day have no idea why the size of the hauler needs to be brought up when discussing costs. That is a choice that a team makes, and with payments as they are, often it costs the same for a tractor and and large trailer as a dually and 48 footer on a yearly basis. That is trailer envy more than a legitimate complaint.

Don't get me wrong here, I am as low buck as anybody.

dirtywhiteboy 9/30/09 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by openwheelKT (Post 138398)
I’m not sure how running a wing car without a wing would be a good audition. Tod Quiring is the guy’s name. That’s where Dollansky is heading to next year. McCarl still drives for him and will do so again next year. They will be teammates. They could have a 3rd car, but I would be surprised.

My original post quoted where Tracy was driving a wing car. My "rumor" was appearntly some old info. I was told McCarl was out of the Quiring ride and that Schats was moving to that car. It's great to hear McCarl is staying in that ride.