IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   More Midget Races Cancelled (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=52672)

speidel21 9/8/11 2:15 PM

Re: More Midget Races Cancelled

how are TQ's dead? Had to have B-main at the last race, I believe the average car count has been 21 cars this season. Thats about as good as any type of racing for a weekly average.

backitin 9/8/11 2:20 PM

Back in the "good old days" they used to run quite a few run what you brung races round flemington speedway and such. It was always the most fun we had racing "our" small block modified. There were weight limits and safety tech, thats it. Youd have all kinds of cars racing against each other and it was a blast. It also by it's nature tended to be a low brow event cause most guys wouldnt want to bring they're fancy Grant King Big blocks out and take a chance of being tangled with a street stock or something. Why the heck wouldnt something like that work with sprintcars and such. The other thing that can keep costs a little lower are claimer rules. Most guys hate the thought of their engine being out of their car at the end of the night, why build a $30,000.00 engine when places 2-5 could claim your engine for $10,000 or whatever. I'd never heard of this anywhere but you could also have a claimer rule on shocks, which are a ridiculous expence. Before the mid seventy's which were the "good old days" a low buck team could and usually would if they had a better driver beat the big buck teams. You built your own chassis, engines ect. and a real smart, good driver could beat a guy with all the money in the world. And thats a fact, cause I was there.

TQ29m 9/8/11 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 (Post 252191)
Ok bob, I'm just saying you have confidence in your car. Not asking you to change it, I'm just saying our series should change it's rules to allow tq midgets to run with us on non wing shows.. Better for you to have more races better for us to have more competition and car count..
Posted via Mobile Device

Just trying to break down what you're saying. I have "confidence"in my car, for what ever that refers to, or I wouldn't bother loading it in the trailer. Asking us, to run "against" you, would be like taking a knife to a gun fight, the way I understand it, you run 1000cc's, we run a max of 836cc's, not a good senario, for us, and as far as the number of races, we have had 12 so far this season, 4 off weekends, and 2 rainouts, and one called because of excessive heat, and we are already booking races for next season, and we have 3 left on our plate for this season, let me see, that's 21 races, if we had wanted to run every weekend. Just wanted to see what it looked like in print, but I don't see any "dying" in those numbers. And, Nick, you're correct on the ave car count. Keep em flying! Bob!:)

racerjim2 9/8/11 3:35 PM

I think maybe some of these mini sprint racers are jealous of the TQ's.

All they have to do is join the TQ ranks.:6:

slide22 9/8/11 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerjim2 (Post 252209)
I think maybe some of these mini sprint racers are jealous of the TQ's.

All they have to do is join the TQ ranks.:6:

I don't think I have any reason to be jealous of TQ's. I've gotten to race at places like KC Raceway, Bloomington, Lawrenceburg, Paragon, Lincoln, etc. etc numerous times over the past 2 years for high payouts and full fields. We're not subject to racing at fairground tracks every weekend.

DAD 9/8/11 4:03 PM

Mini sprints are a lot closer to midgets than 3/4 midgets are to minisprints performance wise. I would really like to see a 950 lb 3/4 midget with a cut down 1000 cc motor in it or for that matter a Kenyon car with a 1000 cc in it. Lets keep the furflyin it good for the heart rate and gives people something to think about and maybe race a little more. The big problem is TV's and front gate count. Lets tell the promoter we will run for a precentage of the front gate. No guarantee purse. OUCH!

speidel21 9/8/11 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slide22 (Post 252212)
I don't think I have any reason to be jealous of TQ's. I've gotten to race at places like KC Raceway, Bloomington, Lawrenceburg, Paragon, Lincoln, etc. etc numerous times over the past 2 years for high payouts and full fields. We're not subject to racing at fairground tracks every weekend.

Fairground tracks, when prepped right, can produce good racing. last fairgrounds race the top 4 came from 9th, 17th, 12th, and 18th,and wasnt from attrition either. Whole key is track prep. It would be good to see full midget racing make a comeback, somehow.

backitin 9/8/11 4:56 PM

Tell you what, everybody needs to run a car like shown in my avatar. $3000.00 plus untold elbow grease. Fast, light, dependable and I dont care what anyone says will run with any new stock 1000cc. Then we can start having fun and stop moanin bout costs.

TQ29m 9/8/11 5:43 PM

Slide22, we've run all those places in our series, plus a lot more, especially out of state, on a regular basis, Atomic Speedway, in Oak Ridge TN, used to be at least 2 times a year, I don't know how many times we've ran at Danville, Illinois, these TQ's have been around since right after WWll, and believe it or not, they do have a good following, however, we feel we put on a better show on the smaller tracks, more close combat if you will, don't get strung out, and follow the leader so much, it's the way we do things, it's worked for over 50 years, and still working, so why try to fix something, that isn't broken? Also, we have better control over our fate, on the tracks where we are the main attraction, rather than tossed in with 4-5 other classes, it's nice to run once in a while at Vernon, or Bloomington, or Lawrenceburg, or Gas City, or LPS, where the people come to see the sprint cars, and anything else, is just burning daylight. JMHO! Bob!:)

Andrew S. Quinn 9/8/11 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c47 (Post 252189)
im not going on a treasure hunt to get my answer. i already have the rulebook and a car that conforms to it.
care to be a little more specific?

I've been wondering the same thing.

"Spec" tacular?
"Spec" tate?
"Spec" ial?

I thought "Spec" racing was like the Ford Focus Midgets,or the Kenyon Midgets.

I dont know what Chuck thinks Spec racing is.