IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pontiac Silverdome (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=115608)

ronmil 12/6/20 2:30 PM

Pontiac Silverdome

Forty years ago today I attended the Heroes vs Outlaws invitational midget race at the now defunct Pontiac Silverdome.
Just wondering if anyone else on this forum attended this event?

dirtracer74 12/6/20 2:48 PM

Re: Pontiac Silverdome

I was there. 9 years old, but I remember it well. They had a few circle track events, some on the floor, and others they built dirt tracks for.

https://waterwinterwonderland.com/im...bert_krupa.jpg

https://www.waterwinterwonderland.co...ave_dobner.jpg

http://www.speedwayandroadracehistor...461160.jpg?490

http://www.speedwayandroadracehistor...ilverdome.html

badcoupe 12/6/20 3:43 PM

Before my time but I attended many at the Hoosier dome as a kid. The go kart race was invitational and our engine builder always went we’d go to watch him and the midgets. Loved the sound of the scat V4 in there. Years later we were there racing a TQ it was the realization of a dream for my brother and I. Grew up watching and finally got to race it.

Midget 89 12/6/20 4:06 PM

My wife and I. Shot pictures for National Speed Sports News.

chop 12/6/20 4:06 PM

So I was not the only one to hang on to the program. Lol

oppweld 12/6/20 4:44 PM

Who won?

chop 12/6/20 6:22 PM

Gene Gennetten won the 1st race on dirt. I would scan some stuff from the program, but cant seem to get the file size small enough to attach.

snowdrift 12/6/20 6:38 PM

I was there I would scan my shirt to show it but can’t get it to work

duel 12/6/20 6:55 PM

I was there. They had 90 midgets I believe. heats in the afternoon were pretty good. Then the features in the evening were a dusty mess. Still fun though all day there. I went to the few they had after on the real asphalt floor. I think the 2nd year they had a pile of treated moist dirt sitting outside and it froze so they ran the floor. The Super Bowl was played there the week before.

rapid robert 12/6/20 7:18 PM

I was there, I was 31 years old. I met and talked with a young guy named Sam Swindell. Even got to shake his hand. That was a great show.

ronmil 12/6/20 7:20 PM

I have my program too!

snowdrift 12/6/20 7:48 PM

I remember the night finale was a dust bowl and they hand garden hoses in the corners to try to keep it wet

ossuks 12/6/20 9:21 PM

was going to post the same .....trying to water the track with a garden hose!

duel 12/6/20 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowdrift (Post 535276)
I remember the night finale was a dust bowl and they hand garden hoses in the corners to try to keep it wet

I could not believe that. I remember it. I heard it cost a ton of money to clean the dust out of that place.

Mudclodbob 12/7/20 11:02 AM

I was there with two cousins. We had a great time watching a lot of great drivers. Agree the heats were good, features at night were really dusty. I recall the two hour trip home became a scary 5 hour drive in fog that limited visibility to the front of the hood.

chop 12/7/20 4:45 PM

what I remember about the dust. that I thought was funny was the seat ushers had a small feather duster. would use it to get the seat clean before you sat down.

some of the drivers there
Tom Bigelow
Pancho Carter
Rick Ferkel
Nick Fornoro JR
Stan Fox
Jim Hettinger
Steve Kinser Listed as the 3 time world of outlaw champ
Arnie Knepper
Greg Leffler
Steve Lotshaw
Van May
Robin Miller yes the writer guy
Jeff and Jerry Nuckles
Kevin Olson before the light bulb repair days
Larry Rice
Tim Richmond 1978 rookie of the year in usac sprints
Roger Rager
Joe Saldana listed as campaigning with the Hoffman racing team
Les Scott Like to watch him race at kalamazoo speedway in a midget
Ron Shuman
Jeff and Sammy Swindell think I may have see them race once or twice
Sleepy Tripp
Bill Vukovich
Bob Wente SR
Doug Wolfgang
Steve Chassey
Mel Kenyon Listed as king of the midgets
Lealand McSpadden
Ken Schrader Listed as finishing 13th in usac midget points for that year
Benny Rapp seemed like he raced forever

tamati 12/7/20 6:28 PM

I was there thought it was great for the middle of winter.

Wizard05 12/7/20 6:32 PM

Was there with the Ohio Traveler Rick Ferkel. Still remember it well. then ran the late model show as well;

DICNJAN 12/7/20 8:42 PM

was there ..was a good show remember they watered with a garden hose ...was a 24 hr day..left kokomo at 6 am got back home the next morning bout the same time..Ron Fisher was our driver taking us up there...

Stealth87 12/8/20 4:14 AM

I unfortunately was not born yet. However, my parent's car won it the next year (I believe) when the dirt was frozen outside and they ran on pavement. Massive pay day for those times!

Puppy 12/8/20 5:20 PM

My brother and I were there, our neighbor took us.

ronmil 12/8/20 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudclodbob (Post 535286)
I was there with two cousins. We had a great time watching a lot of great drivers. Agree the heats were good, features at night were really dusty. I recall the two hour trip home became a scary 5 hour drive in fog that limited visibility to the front of the hood.

I remember a driving rainstorm on the long drive back to Evansville. I finally found a little mom and pop motel and got off the road until the daylight arrived. After the rain departed it was a pleasant drive on an unseasonably warm Sunday.

snowdrift 12/8/20 7:39 PM

Seven of us from the farmland area went in my dads motor home had a blast sadly it was one of my dads last racing trips before his checker flag . I thank him every time I go to race for inducing me this great sport

Dick Monahan 12/9/20 12:29 PM

I was there because a handful of NEMA cars were there. The one that Genetten drove was one of ours: Ed Czyzewski's "Polish Pirate" special. I remember that Ed and his crewman, who I knew only as "Hoppy", had trouble getting up on the podium because they only had one leg between the two of them. As I told our fans many times over the years, Ed lost both of his on Pork Chop Hill in Korea, and I'm afraid I don't remember where Hoppy lost his. They were two great guys who supported NEMA for many years.

Scott Daloisio 12/9/20 11:42 PM

I came back to that race to shoot it for some western racing publications and planned my vacation in Detroit to go with it. I think I am still cleaning dirt out of my ears. The promoter (his first name was Steve, but cannot remember his last name) was a concert promoter. When the night show got so out of hand with dust, he took action himself and began spraying the track with a garden hose (I have a photo of it on my Facebook page). The problem was he was spraying not only the loose stuff on the outside, but also on the groove turning it into a skating rink. Spins were ridiculous and people in the pits were begging him to stop spraying the groove, but he refused to listen.

Stevensville Mike 12/10/20 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio (Post 535367)
...and planned my vacation in Detroit....

Rarely heard words.... :)

Scott Daloisio 12/11/20 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike (Post 535409)
Rarely heard words.... :)

I was born and raised in Detroit. At that time, I had only been in California for six years and was still young and stupid. Now I am old, and still stupid, but I have no ambition to ever vacation there again.

Stevensville Mike 12/11/20 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Daloisio (Post 535428)
I was born and raised in Detroit.

Me, too. East side. Left in 1978. Never went back.

jwracer14 12/11/20 7:17 PM

I think Dean Isley was the promoter.

ronmil 12/12/20 3:22 PM

I am amazed at the number of comments this thread has drawn and the number of people who were in attendance.

Stevensville Mike 12/12/20 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmil (Post 535462)
I am amazed at the number of comments this thread has drawn and the number of people who were in attendance.

Never underestimate the memories of the members of Indiana Open Wheel.com, Ron. THAT is why this whole site continues as it does. You included, friend.

fourteen fan 12/12/20 6:28 PM

I was there that night. Watched a Late model dirt race, ASA race, and many Lion, Pistons games, Led Zepplin, and the Who concerts. And many other events.

snowdrift 12/12/20 7:35 PM

I went the first and third race I missed the second one did they have more than 3 been to long ago to remember

jim goerge 12/13/20 4:02 AM

Was going to go , BUT the day before we left buddy"s wife gave him a BEAUTIFUL baby girl, named her Jimmi Sue, and she"s still a beautiful lady. ps she also loves dirt racing. :8: