IndianaOpenWheel.com

Indiana Open Wheel (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/index.php)
-   Indiana Open Wheel Forum (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hartford, MI MTS Sprint & Open Wing Sprint Invitational-8/14 (https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=86727)

nathans1012 8/5/15 2:33 PM

Hartford, MI MTS Sprint & Open Wing Sprint Invitational-8/14

Hartford Speedway
Hartford, Michigan
http://www.hartfordspeedway.net

Friday, August 14th 2015
Open Wing Sprint Invitational
MTS 410 Non Wing Sprints <> Standard MTS Payout
-
Open 410 / 360 Wing Sprints, MTS 410 Non-Wing Sprints, UMP Modifieds, & UMP Stock Cars
-
Grandstands - $15.00
Pit Pass - $25.00
-
Open Wing Sprint Invitational - Open to all 410 & 360 Wing Sprints

*NO ENTRY FEE - BUY YOUR PIT PASS AND RACE

*Open Tire Brand - Medium or Hard 105/16-15 Right Rear

*8 Lap Heats - 20 Lap Feature

*Questions? Call Promoter Tim Dibble (269)-313-9132

*Guaranteed Payout below $1,500 win, $300 start, & $100 tow

01. $1,500 to win
02. $950
03. $700
04. $600
05. $500
06. $425
07. $400
08. $375
09. $350
10. $325
11. $300
12. $300
13. $300
14. $300
15. $300
16. $300
17. $300
18. $300
19. $300
20. $300

$100 Tow Money

Midget 89 8/5/15 6:44 PM

Re: Hartford, MI MTS Sprint & Open Wing Sprint Invitational-

Hartford seems to be taking a good hard look at sprints. Could it be a regular weekly class?

Stevensville Mike 8/5/15 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midget 89 (Post 421623)
Hartford seems to be taking a good hard look at sprints. Could it be a regular weekly class?

Whether they are, or not, every time I have been there, the crowd has been huge. It will also be for this Friday - American Late Models. Not exactly open wheel, but the staff over there at the track has been doing a top shelf job.

Joltin Joe 8/5/15 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathans1012 (Post 421607)
Hartford Speedway
Hartford, Michigan
http://www.hartfordspeedway.net

*Open Tire Brand - Medium or Hard 105/16-15 Right Rear

How is it "Open Tire Brand" when those are Hooiser compound and sizes?

nathans1012 8/5/15 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joltin Joe (Post 421627)

You'd have to ask them. I copied from the tracks website.

MIracing 8/5/15 8:12 PM

Quote:

In an early post they put they were dabbling with the future. Does that mean weekly sprints? Not necessarily, it could mean they might try a few open shows next year.

I think it could work to run weekly sprints somewhere Friday night in Michigan. They wouldn't have competition. They are currently competing with two other local tracks running late models on Friday night. The payout they are giving is not much different than their late model payout. So, I could see it taking place of late models.

Like Mike said that place is packed especially on the nights they have had sprints. I also agree no matter what the Dibbles do they will do a great job trying to make it the best possible for the fans.

Spi-nex 8/5/15 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joltin Joe (Post 421627)

Sorry about that... it was 4AM when I typed that up. I just tweaked it to say any 16" RR. Make it simple. Thanks for pointing that out.

Spi-nex 8/5/15 8:49 PM

Quote:

We're poking around with different ideas as we edge towards the conclusion of the season. We have five weeks remaining and we're going to try and shake things up a bit to see if there is any particular direction we should be going.

The addition of the Open Sprint portion of the program was a direct result of our fans wanting more sprint car racing. This is also an opportunity to spotlight the MTS Sprints among a broader audience to potentially expand their brand.

We will be paying special attention to our Late Model program this week (8/7) and the Open Sprint show on 8/14 and see what happens. Nothing has been decided at this point regarding 2016. It seems that the Late Model community is in flux right now and our fans want more sprinters. But are there enough sprinters around to support a half mile on weekly or semi-weekly basis? I don't know for sure and that's why we are dabbling now instead of leaving questions on the table when snow flies.

My personal hope would be to see someone like Kevin Thomas Jr. show up to run double duty and see if he could do the sweep. (But then that's just the race fan in me.)

MIracing 8/5/15 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 421637)
We're poking around with different ideas as we edge towards the conclusion of the season. We have five weeks remaining and we're going to try and shake things up a bit to see if there is any particular direction we should be going.

The addition of the Open Sprint portion of the program was a direct result of our fans wanting more sprint car racing. This is also an opportunity to spotlight the MTS Sprints among a broader audience to potentially expand their brand.

We will be paying special attention to our Late Model program this week (8/7) and the Open Sprint show on 8/14 and see what happens. Nothing has been decided at this point regarding 2016. It seems that the Late Model community is in flux right now and our fans want more sprinters. But are there enough sprinters around to support a half mile on weekly or semi-weekly basis? I don't know for sure and that's why we are dabbling now instead of leaving questions on the table when snow flies.

My personal hope would be to see someone like Kevin Thomas Jr. show up to run double duty and see if he could do the sweep. (But then that's just the race fan in me.)

What a great honest answer. Best of luck to you guys the next couple of weeks and in the future. I know I'll be making another trip to Hartford in the future. As for Kevin Thomas Jr., he is making his way to Knoxville that weekend. Maybe Caleb Armstrong will come put on a show though.

Spi-nex 8/5/15 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIracing (Post 421638)
As for Kevin Thomas Jr., he is making his way to Knoxville that weekend. Maybe Caleb Armstrong will come put on a show though.

KT was just arbitrary name as I know he does both wing & non-wing. We'd love to see and welcome Mr. Armstrong! :)

Joltin Joe 8/5/15 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 421633)
Sorry about that... it was 4AM when I typed that up. I just tweaked it to say any 16" RR. Make it simple. Thanks for pointing that out.

IMO it should be any 16" or 17" tires. Hoosier is the only one that has 16" RRs. If you go to 17" that lets people with Hoosier DT3s or Amarican Racer MC2 or 3s be able to use them.

chop 8/5/15 9:38 PM

I will be there to watch the show. But the question to ask is how many sprint cars want to race on a 5/8 track for that amount of money. Also be able to travel to get there on a Friday. Its a big track. I know I have raced on it. Not trying to be a$$ about this, but that is the real question. When they 1st opened the track they ran both LM and sprints weekly. I have not seen a LM race there this year, but hear the numbers are down. How many times in Michigan on a sat night has SOD, Butler and MTS, when they all are racing have 25 cars each? In the state of Michigan, how many racing sprint cars are left?

Spi-nex 8/5/15 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chop (Post 421643)
I will be there to watch the show. But the question to ask is how many sprint cars want to race on a 5/8 track for that amount of money. Also be able to travel to get there on a Friday. Its a big track. I know I have raced on it. Not trying to be a$$ about this, but that is the real question. When they 1st opened the track they ran both LM and sprints weekly. I have not seen a LM race there this year, but hear the numbers are down. How many times in Michigan on a sat night has SOD, Butler and MTS, when they all are racing have 25 cars each? In the state of Michigan, how many racing sprint cars are left?

The size of the track is also another thing we are looking at for 2016.

It's a gamble for sure on this deal. Allstars promised us 22 of their regulars and we got 10 a few weeks ago. I don't promise or pretend to expect things when it comes to car counts. I've seen WAY too many places do that and get bit. We will do our best with advertising and see what we can come up with. Either way we will crank out a fast efficient program and make it worth both fans and drivers time.

MIracing 8/5/15 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 421649)

It's a gamble for sure on this deal. Allstars promised us 22 of their regulars and we got 10 a few weeks ago. I don't promise or pretend to expect things when it comes to car counts. I've seen WAY too many places do that and get bit. We will do our best with advertising and see what we can come up with. Either way we will crank out a fast efficient program and make it worth both fans and drivers time.

I was surprised at the low numbers for the All Star show. I am hopeful more local teams will give this show a try. For the all stars it was a pretty big gamble for a low budget team. Buy an expensive tire, tethers, travel and hope to make the show and probably still come out in the hole. Here they get to run tires they already have, they don't need anything additional and more than likely will be able to be competitive.

MTS 8/9/15 11:03 PM

Mts non wing will be 1000 to win 300 to start. Open hoosier rr other corners open yo any brand

nathans1012 8/10/15 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 421649)

Carious to what you mean by size of track is another thing we are looking at for 2016?
Possible re-shaping track - Making track smaller? :32:

Spi-nex 8/10/15 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathans1012 (Post 422274)
Carious to what you mean by size of track is another thing we are looking at for 2016?
Possible re-shaping track - Making track smaller? :32:

Well. I don't think making the track BIGGER would be very feasible.... :11;

nathans1012 8/10/15 6:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 422277)
Well. I don't think making the track BIGGER would be very feasible.... :11;

Thanks for that hint of what might be done. Would help car count if it is done and made smaller.

Spi-nex 8/10/15 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathans1012 (Post 422287)
Thanks for that hint of what might be done. Would help car count if it is done and made smaller.

Nothing has been decided yet at this point.

Wizard 05 8/10/15 11:40 AM

I think if they DOWNSIZE Hartford it will be a very sad day.. That is the only real track left in the state..They have totally killed I-96..My grandfather help Steve Clark build that place and at one time was the place to race..Now because a few whine about it some BOZO reworks the thing and now the only big track left in the state is Hartford..Yes it is big..Yes it can be costly (and if you crash REAL costly) yes it can eat motors.. But I thought a lot of this go into racing to go fast and scare the hell out of ourselves..When that place gets and stay tacky hold on and hold your breath it is going to be a great night.

staggerman 8/10/15 11:49 AM

IRA and Wilmot is off this weekend. Someone should put some info out on the IRA and Wilmot Facebook pages to see if there is any interest

MIracing 8/10/15 12:36 PM

I don't think you can blame low car counts completely on the size of the track. Let's look at the All Star race. That night they were up against IRA, MOWA for Illinois Speedweek, NRA, Attica, NSL and SOD (although at the same track a few of those guys might have run with the all stars if they had an off night). That is spreading the number of cars in the region pretty thin. It was also sandwiched between Kings Royal and Nnoxville Nationals.

Again car counts for the local shows, they are up against 3 other tracks on that side of the state running Friday nights.

There are so many variables night in night out to blame it completely on the track.

SpfldMile 8/10/15 1:02 PM

I made my first visit to Hartford a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I wasn't lucky enough to catch an open wheel show there, but really enjoyed the place. I love big tracks and Hartford is big. My kids even liked it, and they are tough to please.

Spi-nex 8/10/15 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpfldMile (Post 422315)
I made my first visit to Hartford a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I wasn't lucky enough to catch an open wheel show there, but really enjoyed the place. I love big tracks and Hartford is big. My kids even liked it, and they are tough to please.

Thanks for coming. :6:

It's an interesting dilemma half mile tracks are put in (all half miles, not just Hartford). On one hand drivers tell you they will only come if the track is made smaller and on the other hand the people that already support you come because they love a track for the way it is.

If a half mile is struggling for FANS and CARS, then I suspect either a change in how things are promoted or changing to a smaller track to boost the car counts is an appropriate move.

At Hartford we aren't struggling for fans on the regular weekly shows. That's one thing I'm personally damn proud of is the amount of people we get consistently showing up week in and week out. Our weekly payout is second to none for our drivers. Hospitality second to none. Efficiency is top notch (with the exception of the Allstars which there were extenuating problems there behind the scenes).

Being in a landlocked state we're forced to depend on 1 state to provide cars and try to draw a few travelers from the south. Not a good position to be in, but it's the hand we are dealt. Places in Indiana, Iowa, etc are surrounded by states that make traveling easy.

I love Hartford for being Hartford. Big, gnarly, and fast. I'd love to bring in USAC and Silver Crown to do a real traditional style race if I could find a way to get enough fans to support an event like that, but too few people in Michigan know what USAC is or offers (which is a crying shame).

Like MIracing said... so many variables to consider. At the end of the day we're getting people, respectable car counts for a half mile, and we're making money as a business. There are a HELL of a lot of bullrings that would love to be in as fortunate of a position that we have worked to attain.

spicoli 8/10/15 4:17 PM

We love Hartford, just the way it is. I'd be there to watch this Friday, but already had vacation planned. If sprints are run weekly next year (prefer non-wing) we'll have a car there.

nathans1012 8/10/15 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 422333)

It's an interesting dilemma half mile tracks are put in (all half miles, not just Hartford). On one hand drivers tell you they will only come if the track is made smaller and on the other hand the people that already support you come because they love a track for the way it is.

If a half mile is struggling for FANS and CARS, then I suspect either a change in how things are promoted or changing to a smaller track to boost the car counts is an appropriate move.

At Hartford we aren't struggling for fans on the regular weekly shows. That's one thing I'm personally damn proud of is the amount of people we get consistently showing up week in and week out. Our weekly payout is second to none for our drivers. Hospitality second to none. Efficiency is top notch (with the exception of the Allstars which there were extenuating problems there behind the scenes).

Being in a landlocked state we're forced to depend on 1 state to provide cars and try to draw a few travelers from the south. Not a good position to be in, but it's the hand we are dealt. Places in Indiana, Iowa, etc are surrounded by states that make traveling easy.

I love Hartford for being Hartford. Big, gnarly, and fast. I'd love to bring in USAC and Silver Crown to do a real traditional style race if I could find a way to get enough fans to support an event like that, but too few people in Michigan know what USAC is or offers (which is a crying shame).

Like MIracing said... so many variables to consider. At the end of the day we're getting people, respectable car counts for a half mile, and we're making money as a business. There are a HELL of a lot of bullrings that would love to be in as fortunate of a position that we have worked to attain.

The way Hartford is run, along with the track size, people behind the scene, promoters / owners, support of the fans in the region is why I love it there so much.
It's a crying shame driver don't support the track more then they do.
The support from the fans is tremendous.
Every time I'm there the grandstands are absolutely pack.
For those that haven't been there the stands are HUGE and made of concrete.
The food is great, the Facilities are in good condition, and kept in shape.
I would love to see a huge open wheel show there.
Lets say USAC Silver Crown, USAC Sprints, the new National Sprint League vs IRA Sprints, and maybe UMP Modifieds.
That would be a spectacular show if it where to ever be pulled off and Hartford is big enough to do it.
The one thing I like about Hartford more then anything is they will do what ever it takes to get fans there and try their best to put on a show for the fans.
They know how to promote a race track period.

duel 8/10/15 5:12 PM

Any usac show in Michigan you don't see a lot of Ohio or Indiana plates on cars. That was pointed out to us a few years back when the promoter of I-96 told us to look in the lot. He did a lot of advertising and said he was upside down $20g's. Last time a couple of years ago usac ran Hartford the crowd was not great and some of the top cars stayed in Indiana. It would be nice to see some big shows there again. One of those bucket list tracks for sure. I for one hope the track stays a big half. I will be there Friday.

Spi-nex 8/10/15 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duel (Post 422342)
Any usac show in Michigan you don't see a lot of Ohio or Indiana plates on cars. That was pointed out to us a few years back when the promoter of I-96 told us to look in the lot. He did a lot of advertising and said he was upside down $20g's. Last time a couple of years ago usac ran Hartford the crowd was not great and some of the top cars stayed in Indiana. It would be nice to see some big shows there again. One of those bucket list tracks for sure. I for one hope the track stays a big half. I will be there Friday.

I was at the Hartford USAC show years ago. I specifically walked through the parking lot and remember counting 3 out of 5 license plates were Indiana.

chop 8/10/15 8:10 PM

If I remember right, the last time Usac was at Hartford it was a 2 day show that was rained out 1st night at 1-96. I was at the last Usac show at 1-96. It was a good race. but not a lot of cars or people. Berlin had a Silver crown race more then a few years ago, It was a midweek show that did not bring in a big crowd. (it was not a Usac show, but the club that tried to run them one year)

So this Friday we have sprint cars at Harford, I-96 and Spartan speedway.

I would like to see them try some type of Usac show in the fall when they put the dirt down at Berlin. They have had big crowds and good races for a really bad track surface.

MIracing 8/10/15 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spi-nex (Post 422333)

I have been to Hartford this year and I follow them on the social media and their website. My home track and any track would be fortunate to be run by the people of Hartford.

Eric Smith 8/12/15 7:26 AM

From everything I've experienced (only sprint races the last 4 years), Hartford is top notch. The track is always pretty good, the facility is always clean and looks good, the staff is always friendly and helpful, and the stands are always full. They definitely take care of the racers there. But the pits are always empty. My opinion is that the fans pack the place because of the size and speed there. Coincidently, that's the same reason I think the racers stay away. Crash once and even your steering wheel is junk. Multiple motors die there every time I've been there. So it's a big risk to race there. The track is in a hard spot. I think if they make the track smaller, the fan count may shrink, but the car count will definitely increase. It has to be a hard balance. As someone who builds, fixes, and finances my own car, I would love to see it smaller. Much smaller. A couple hours closer to help would be nice as well. Having said that, can't wait for this show Friday night.

flagboy55 8/12/15 10:10 AM

Always said it would be a great track for silver crown cars. Next year might be a good time to get them as Syracuse will be done after this year. I love the place but the regular shows are somewhat bland to me. The speed is awesome but that sometime leads to the cars being strung out. Haven't seen sprints there for a few years, gonna try to get there Friday

Midget 89 8/12/15 10:38 AM

What about a quarter-mile on the inside and keep the big track on the outside. Tri-City (Auburn, MI) did this when they were paved.

Spi-nex 8/12/15 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midget 89 (Post 422501)
What about a quarter-mile on the inside and keep the big track on the outside. Tri-City (Auburn, MI) did this when they were paved.

That idea has been tossed around, but we would need to fill in the infield which is extremely cost prohibitive. You don't get the full scope of just how deep the infield is until you're standing down there.

The current thought that is "IF" there was a reconfiguration we would utilize the current 1 & 2 turns, then cut in through the turns 3 & 4 access road turning the track into a 4/10th mile. It would still be a fast track and wouldn't compromise the current half mile, but it would "offset" the track from the grandstands a bit. I'll have to sketch something up to show you guys.

MIracing 8/12/15 12:43 PM

Is this show a positive thing or negative for MTS?

On one hand you get to race in front of fans that might not normally come to a non wing show. If you put on a good race they might think about supporting you in the future.

On the other hand you had a race scheduled with the track and now they bring in winged sprints for a higher purse. You get guys like Eric Smith who have run wing and non wing this year who will keep the wing on because of a higher payout. This hurts the MTS car count and possibly the image. It can hurt the image of MTS with fans and drivers alike.

Spi-nex 8/12/15 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIracing (Post 422518)
Is this show a positive thing or negative for MTS?

On one hand you get to race in front of fans that might not normally come to a non wing show. If you put on a good race they might think about supporting you in the future.

On the other hand you had a race scheduled with the track and now they bring in winged sprints for a higher purse. You get guys like Eric Smith who have run wing and non wing this year who will keep the wing on because of a higher payout. This hurts the MTS car count and possibly the image. It can hurt the image of MTS with fans and drivers alike.

Eric called us and stated that he is going to be running both. It's a $600 payday just to start both races. Not too shabby for those wanting to do the double. We also upped the start pay for MTS cars to $300 to match the wings.

The goal is to 100% secure a quality show and allow us to probe into the future of Hartford. There will be two types of people that look at this type of race: A- Those who are slighted that we would add wings or B- Those who see this as an opportunity both as drivers and fans. No matter what MTS will be able to have the opportunity to expand their brand to a larger audience. Not very many places can say that.

Can26 8/12/15 3:23 PM

Nope, Both cars are staying parked in the garage. If the MTS purse was to match EQUALY the surprise wing show, well then maybe... but since it's not ... Watson Racing

staggerman 8/12/15 4:05 PM

I am just a little nervous on the car count for the winged show at Hartford as I now find out I-96 has their 410 show the same night. SOD is off on Friday but they are running on Saturday at Plymouth so not sure how many of those guys will come out on a Friday. So does Daggett, Mann, Ridnoer, Dahlman go I-96 or Hartford. Just wish the promoters would work together in MI. I know some will say the purse is higher at Hartford but most of those guys live real close to I-96 and that can make a difference.

As for the MTS imagine they will get around 18-20 cars.

MIracing 8/12/15 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staggerman (Post 422535)
I am just a little nervous on the car count for the winged show at Hartford as I now find out I-96 has their 410 show the same night. SOD is off on Friday but they are running on Saturday at Plymouth so not sure how many of those guys will come out on a Friday. So does Daggett, Mann, Ridnoer, Dahlman go I-96 or Hartford. Just wish the promoters would work together in MI. I know some will say the purse is higher at Hartford but most of those guys live real close to I-96 and that can make a difference.

As for the MTS imagine they will get around 18-20 cars.

My guess is Daggett either will race I96 or not race. Ridenour is hurt. 13 cars went to I96 last week. Lamberson is coming to Hartford. The other 12 My guess is will return to I96 butthe higher guaranteed purse and tow will help Hartford. There are 2 more, I know of going to I96 that weren't there last week. So, Hartford will be getting guys who didn't travel last week or who are from out of state. That's my prediction. I'm no expert. :)

Spi-nex 8/12/15 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can26 (Post 422530)
Nope, Both cars are staying parked in the garage. If the MTS purse was to match EQUALY the surprise wing show, well then maybe... but since it's not ... Watson Racing

Sorry to hear that, but understand. I wish you nothing but the best in whoever/wherever you decide to support this weekend! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIracing (Post 422537)
My guess is Daggett either will race I96 or not race. Ridenour is hurt. 13 cars went to I96 last week. Lamberson is coming to Hartford. The other 12 My guess is will return to I96 butthe higher guaranteed purse and tow will help Hartford. There are 2 more, I know of going to I96 that weren't there last week. So, Hartford will be getting guys who didn't travel last week or who are from out of state. That's my prediction. I'm no expert. :)

Daggett will be at Hartford.