IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New guy looking for some advice!
9/20/24, 4:47 PM   #11
Re: New guy looking for some advice!
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I would recommend a 600cc Mini Sprint. I loved my time racing them. I think about buying another one all the time and I'm 61 years old now. Lol. There are many different classes Winged and Non-wing. Even a senior class. US 24 Speedway in Logansport runs every week. I not sure if Miami County Fairgrounds Speedway (Peru) is still running every week or not. Many of the Central Indiana Dirt Tracks also run them from time to time.

A lot of the sprint car stars of today started in them.

A TQ Midget would be another option. Even Tony Stewart still races one from time to time.
I would second this opinion. Micro cars would be a great way to get started. There are many, many people racing micros that are larger than you are. It is really funny to see people climb out of a micro. As others have stated that a ton of people have moved up from micros to sprint cars. It is definitely the "hot" proving ground for young people to move up the ranks of dirt track racing.

As others have stated, I would not buy a car until you have volunteered to help a team for a year. This will let you learn the sport and will let you learn the cost/time commitments while someone else is paying the bills. The other thing that volunteering will do is give you friends in the pits. It will give you someone that you can pit next to and someone that will help you when you first start out. This is what I did many years ago and it was invaluable.

Finally, you need to spend some time around a micro track to understand which class you want to start out with? Do you want to run a wing or not? Do you want to start in the most popular class "A" class, or do you want to look into an entry class like "restricted".

Regardless of what you do, good luck.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New guy looking for some advice!