IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Asteroids and Half Miles
10/11/24, 1:07 AM   #21
Re: Asteroids and Half Miles
revjimk

I've been to Terre Haute twice, rained out both times (same for Gas City)
One of these days...
This summer I finally got to see "Lets Race 2" at Eldora, big 1/2 mile, wingers & traditional both. I prefer small tracks, but enjoyed the hell out of ALL the races!

10/11/24, 1:12 AM   #22
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
This made me laugh! "low limit series"!

& here, I've been wondering if USAC was gona need to go back to wings...

Btw, this whole thread is COOL! Lots of talk, with facts and figures, just from regular posters, who have good information and research. Very informative.

Certainly, a low number of races in 86/87! Wow. Where there a few rainouts???

WoO ran some non-wing races I think when it 1st started, but were there some other legitimate series around that ran some non-wing events too? As far as pavement, there has always been the Little500, but was there a series like the current pavement non-wing series in the mid-west around this time? (I gather there were a number of pavement non-wing races in FL for some time).
After further thought, I'll answer some of my own question...I remember reading that ISW was not part of the USAC schedule; maybe til later in those years posted? (or right after?). &, could it be said the CRA sprint car series was actually more popular in those years than it is now? Also, were there more weekly tracks running traditional sprints back then?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

10/11/24, 2:07 AM   #23
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Kyle Larson is afraid of half miles so if you follow his low limit series he’ll try to indoctrinate you into wings and small tracks. I for one have a brain and can obviously see non-wing at Terre Haute and the other dinosaur tracks completely blow away his stupid series that the sheep follow. Please don’t make me take the L out of your name and join the enlightened lol.
Furthermore, I'm sure you know Larson swept all the classes at big fast 1/2 mile Eldora when he was a young'un.... & he had a pretty serious accident in a wingless car a few years later.
He's not scared of 1/2 miles, I'm pretty sure his NASCAR team made him stop racing wingless 410s. They've been pretty cool about letting him race any other kind of dirt track events. But they have to protect their investment....
Hell, I think anybody even racing a 305 Race Saver has plenty of balls

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
10/11/24, 2:13 AM   #24
revjimk

No balls??? https://www.google.com/search?client...LUixFNSNg,st:0

10/11/24, 6:31 AM   #25
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Thats pretty insulting.... he isn't scared of those giant NASCAR tracks at 200 mph, is he? I know he doesn't do wingless sprint cars any more (wish he would!), but I saw him win twice in a wingless sprint car on a 1/2 mile, at Oskaloosa.
I personally wouldn't dare race any kind of sprint car on any kind of track, & I don't see where you get off questioning the courage of a GREAT driver
Exactly! You were way easier on him than I would’ve been but I just chalked it up to him being drunk

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
10/11/24, 8:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
Have you seen the Crown cars on half miles this year?
Yes you get a few good races, but you get far more snoozers. I will agree with you, I think the crown cars do very good on 1/2's. At the same time, you cannot race these cars every single weekend. I have watched most of the Lucas Oil Late Model, HiLimit, and USAc sprint races this year. Most of the snoozers are the big tracks. You get passing on the initial start and on restarts. Most of the time when they get to traffic they are so strung out the traffic does not matter. On the tracks where it does matter, majority of the time the caution comes out just as the leader is getting slowed up by the traffic.

10/11/24, 11:13 AM   #27
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Kyle Larson is afraid of half miles
Yet he is a three time Knoxville Nationals champion. He loves Port Royal and has multiple victories there. Kings Royal winner at Eldora. Ran and liked the Bristol dirt races. We could go on but no reason too.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Asteroids and Half Miles