IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > That other, "Indiana Past-time"
2/15/08, 6:10 PM   #31
Re: That other, "Indiana Past-time"
Wolfe-e

Heck Pat, I think that ya-hoo should be fired too.... In a way this is a part of his mess..... I could get behind Alford... but I'd say that whoever takes the job will be taking a post with No Chance of post season play. Like you say, look at whose in charge of NCAA. There not going to let this slide..... I say give it back to the Coach for those two years and give Alford time to get out of his contract........ Ah come on guys, ya know its not going to be anyone we'd pick........ I can see it now..... First UK then Louisville and next..........

2/15/08, 7:22 PM   #32
axsom#11

sampson and greenspan need to go , Greenspan needs to go back to the pro's and take Sampson with him . And Weds. nite no time out at the end and Tabor in the game ,should have been Thomas or White to help not some one with a couple of games under his belt ,he made to mistakes in the last 2 minutes . And the team should have set a play , We all knw Knight would have called a time out and told the players what he wanted his player too do not what they want to do. BONE HEAD MOVE ,But that would be a Sampson Coaching Move!!! Must GO!!!

2/15/08, 10:28 PM   #33
Danny Burton

If they're gonna fire Sampson, and I think they should, they'd better do it right. See what happened to our neighbors to the east. Jim O'Brien took 'em for a bundle.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

2/16/08, 8:36 AM   #34
Dwight Shelton

I believe Sampson should be fired next week when the results of the AD's investigation is due to be done. He is most likely guilty of the same infractions as he incurred at Oklahoma.
I'm not real excited by most of the names mentioned so far--namely past ball players from IU to be new head coach. Would consider Alford--he did things at Iowa that for the most part Iowa had never experienced but all at once the Iowa fans became Duke or North Carolina fans and demanded Iowa climb to a spot of reverence that all fans would be in awe of!!!
My short list would be headed by Rick Pitino, Don't know his status unless pursued.Tubby Smith and Thad Matta I would question as well. And its to bad Matt Painter is at Purdue---he has been extremely impressive.

2/16/08, 9:21 AM   #35
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Shelton View Post
I believe Sampson should be fired next week when the results of the AD's investigation is due to be done. He is most likely guilty of the same infractions as he incurred at Oklahoma.
I'm not real excited by most of the names mentioned so far--namely past ball players from IU to be new head coach. Would consider Alford--he did things at Iowa that for the most part Iowa had never experienced but all at once the Iowa fans became Duke or North Carolina fans and demanded Iowa climb to a spot of reverence that all fans would be in awe of!!!
My short list would be headed by Rick Pitino, Don't know his status unless pursued.Tubby Smith and Thad Matta I would question as well. And its to bad Matt Painter is at Purdue---he has been extremely impressive.

Pitino would be a good choice, he was in town before Sampson was hired,word was his wife wasn't too crazy about the deal.Bruce Pearl would be a good choice IMO, but getting him from Tenn. would probably be next to impossible.I just hope IU doesn't self impose infractions, I.E. post tournement play, that would hurt the players who have done nothing.I have to believe that RMK is laughing his %@$ off!

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2/16/08, 10:55 AM   #36
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Shelton View Post
Would consider Alford--he did things at Iowa that for the most part Iowa had never experienced but all at once the Iowa fans became Duke or North Carolina fans and demanded Iowa climb to a spot of reverence that all fans would be in awe of!!!
Exactly right about the Iowa fans. Alford did more with less than any coach in the Big Ten or all of college basketball for that matter. I think the boneheads who called for him to leave are seeing that now with Lickliter. Todd is an excellent coach, but doesn't have any kind of talent to work with. The talent he had at Butler puts Iowa to shame. If he was at Indiana, he would have a much better talent pool to recruit from and a better program to sell to the recruits. Top prospects go to Iowa for wrestling and IU (or they used to) for basketball. With that said, I don't think Alford would have ever fit in well at IU as the coach. Too much of RMK's shadow to pressure him, and Steve has the kind of personality that is suited for more of a quiet, small program with very little pressure like he has now at New Mexico. He's much better off at a small program where he can easily surpass expectations instead of going to the high profile school and be pressured to win no matter what.

Somebody else mentioned Quinn Buckner, who I think would be a great choice also. I know he's a former player, which shouldn't be a requirement, but he would be an excellent choice even if he didn't go to IU. He would have no trouble pulling the fanbase back together after the Kelvin Sanction disaster. He can relate to the new style of young players because of his NBA and broadcast experience, but also bring back the old Bobby Knight diehards.

2/17/08, 1:07 AM   #37
Wolfe-e

"More of. As the Ball Bounces" Tonight on my AOL site, ya know that one that pops up every time I get on IOW, theres a piece about a Fan being told to take off his shirt or leave last Wed. nights game... What Did it Say?....... Bring Back Bobby Knight! and the zeros made him take it off, twice.... Sounds like security is with Sampson,,, I thought those guys looked like the Gestopo!.......... Man, I;ll be glad when Race Season gets here.........

2/17/08, 10:44 AM   #38
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Anybody that thinks this 7 day "investigation" is real is a fool. The school has had the aligations for weeks.....they just because public this week. They have already looked into it. The 7 day deal is to make sure they have everything in order to send him on his way. There is no way you could conduct a real and total investigation in 7 days. They are just trying to make themselves look better. They already know what they are going to do.

You could see it last night.... He's hugging his players and acting like they won the NCAA championship at end of the game. Never seen that from a coach that beat a team they should have at home. MSU is good, but at home IU should win. Sampson's actions last night tells me he knows he's gone too. I'll be disappointed if that isn't true.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > That other, "Indiana Past-time"