IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #41 9/5/08 9:47 PM
Originally Posted by mac miller:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...ille%7cohio%7c

The current Darke county fairgrounds horse track can be seen at the top center of this satelite view. As far as I know, other than some cycle races, thrill shows and demo derbys there was never car racing on the fairgrounds track.

The real Greenville Motor Speedway can be seen in the bottom center of this photo about a half mile straight south of the fairgrounds track. It is the dark, almost circular, shape. The track closed in 1952 following a fatal accident. and the property has never been developed. The old wooden grandstand was still standing up into the early 70s.
The arch shaped area, with the dot in the middle, just above the old speedway was the Speedway Drive In theatre. The dot in the middle was the concession stand/projection booth. Following the closure of the track, this "drive in" was built in the old track parking lot. I spent many happy evenings at that "drive in" during my high school years.
BY YOURSELF IN A V6?:applaud:
billyb (Offline)
  #42 9/6/08 7:10 PM
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE:
BY YOURSELF IN A V6?:applaud:
Hey,Superduke, are you going to be at Jungle Park the 27 th? I done some laps in my 39 ford coupe last year, left some skid marks length of the grandstand. Maybe still there!:thumb:O:
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #43 9/6/08 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by billyb:
Hey,Superduke, are you going to be at Jungle Park the 27 th? I done some laps in my 39 ford coupe last year, left some skid marks length of the grandstand. Maybe still there!:thumb:O:
WILL BE THERE! FLYING IN FROM ABQ. NM. WILL HAVE VUKOVICH WITH ME!:thumb:applaud::checkered:
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #44 9/8/08 8:46 AM
ALSO WE ARE GOING TO WINCHESTER SUN AFTERNOON FOR THE USAC SPRINTS AND THE OLDTIMERS MEET! THERE WILL BE A LOT OF VINTAGE RACE CARS THERE!:thumb