IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Progress
12/18/07, 3:03 PM   #1
Progress
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

On Dec. 18, 1898, an automobile speed record was set. The record was 39mph. No word on the drivers name or car brand. On Dec. 18, 1979, Stanley Barrett broke the sound barrier on land by driving 739.6mph.

12/18/07, 3:07 PM   #2
Re: Progress
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I find this a little low as Stanley Steamers of the time were capable of 90mph+ I could be a little off and this could be for a internal combustion engine.

Chuck, realizing there were little in the way of smooth roads at the time

12/18/07, 4:34 PM   #3
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I find this a little low as Stanley Steamers of the time were capable of 90mph+ I could be a little off and this could be for a internal combustion engine.

Chuck, realizing there were little in the way of smooth roads at the time
Not in 1898 Chuck. In 1912 no car averaged 90 mph in qualifying for the 500 Mile Sweepstakes at Indianapolis. As you stated, roads were terrible back then. I doubt any road would have allowed any car to do 90 mph.

12/18/07, 4:45 PM   #4
DonRacer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record

12/18/07, 4:58 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

In 1906 the Land Speed Record was broken by a Stanley steam car, piloted by Fred Marriot, which achieved 127 mph (203 km/h) at Ormond Beach, Florida. This annual week-long "Speed Week" was the forerunner of today's Daytona 500. This record was not exceeded until 1910, and has not been broken by a steam car since.

Granted 10 years late but before the Indy Classic But the Stanley was in Buisness from 1896 to 1917 with little changes till condensers were added to collect spent moisture. From Wickpedia.com

Chuck, who knows the technology to go that fast existed, Steam Loco's traveled in excess of 100 since the 1860s but the plyable rubber tire and roads were not widely used or didn't exist in most cases a typical wooden tire rim of early autos would have probably self destructed about 30-40mph

12/18/07, 5:11 PM   #6
Seadog

I always thought that Stanley Steamer was really slow....at least that's what I found out when they cleaned my carpet the other day.:emote20:

12/18/07, 5:25 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

There are specials on Speed and other channels daytime that feature Leno's Garage, I believe he has 4 Stanleys and one Colorado made Steamer. He regularly takes one out for a spin and has gotten tickets in Excess of 80.

Chuck, who though Gregg could remember them days

12/18/07, 5:29 PM   #8
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
There are specials on Speed and other channels daytime that feature Leno's Garage, I believe he has 4 Stanleys and one Colorado made Steamer. He regularly takes one out for a spin and has gotten tickets in Excess of 80.

Chuck, who though Gregg could remember them days
Remember what days? I can't even remember the last time I went to the bathroom!:emote20:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Progress