IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks you saw racing at but are now gone
10/26/07, 4:53 PM   #11
Re: Tracks you saw racing at but are now gone
Dwight Clock

Since my list totals 104 tracks I will simply name the ones that I miss most; Islip, Riverside Park, Albany-Saratoga (paved), Fulton (paved), Reading, Langhorne, all Nazareth dirt tracks (1/2, 1, 1 1/8), Jennerstown (dirt), Log Cabin (VA), No. Wilkesboro, Trenton 1m, Old Bridge, Flemington, Beltsville, Pocono 3/4, Silver Spring, Island Garden (indoor), and Heidelburg.

10/26/07, 5:12 PM   #12
LocalYokel

[QUOTE=Brolzy;15687]Pinebrook Speedway in NJ (3/4 midgets and microstocks). I actually raced an R/C car there once, too. Way too big for that.
QUOTE]

I was a big wheel champion at Pinebrook! I also miss Flemington alot.

10/26/07, 5:19 PM   #13
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Lincoln Speedway in Illinois is still up and running

http://www.lincolnspeedway.org I believe

10/26/07, 5:27 PM   #14
mburton92

Avilla, Indiana holds alot of great memories. Could never figure out why another dirt track didn't open up in northeast Indiana instead of all the paved tracks.

10/26/07, 5:33 PM   #15
Augie

Hales Corners
Wilmot - O' wait that dump is still open, good place for a Walmart!
Godfrey
Colby
Millstream

10/26/07, 9:56 PM   #16
FishBurger

New Bremen - Dirt and Paved - Saw Mike McGreevy win the first race there (USAC Midgets) after it was paved.

Glen Este RaceBowl - Karl Kaiser & Don Lamb were 2 of the top dogs there.

Lawrenceburg Speedway - 1/2 Mile - My favorite at the time, Stan Bowman, once ran his modified off the track between 3 and 4 and into a horse barn. He was O.K., car was hurt, horses spooked. Chair seat spectators just in from church in their finest clothes.... covered with mud when Cecil Beavers pitched it sideways and nailed the gas entering 1. Redneck Wild Bill Salee missed the feature, so he pulled his s-box onto the track sideways and got out as the field was coming thru 3 for the green.

The Legendary Lawrenceburg Speedway - 1/4 mile

Kentucky International Raceway - An old horse racing facility, I saw several stock car events there including an ARCA race. Jay Wyatt in the Flying Zero was almost unbeatable.

Columbus, IN Fairgrounds - The TQ track where I missed the feature won by Bobby Christian. My racing career ended shortly thereafter. Lack of funds, lack of talent, lack of understanding spouse.

Tri-County/Queen City Speedway - Weekly USAC Midget shows there one year on Thursday nights. Some really good USAC Stock Car events. Nasty flip down the backstretch by Dale Breedlove in Jim McElreath's sprinter. Gene Crittenden, another of my favorites, was really strong in stocks but lost his life there later.

Cincinnati Gardens - If the fumes and the 3.2% beer didn't kill you, you could see some pretty good indoor midget races there. First time I ever recall seeing Don Vogler with youngster Richie signaling him from the infield.

Reading Fairgrounds - So flat it almost looked as if it was banked a bit the wrong way. Good racing though, and often frustrating for the USAC regulars.

Dayton Speedway - My favorite of the now long gone speedways and the best of the high banks IMO. I recall thinking that Jan Opperman was a dirt only guy until I watched him win a feature there in the Longhorn Racing car. Sonny Ates was spectacular there in Henry Meyer's Iddings Glass #93. Saw Claire Lawicki destroy one of the most beautiful sprint cars I ever saw. He was O.K. Also remember a frightening Mike Mosley crash in A.J. Watsons DOHC Ford.

Manzanita - A recent addition.

There may be more, but now I'm depressed, so

Last edited by FishBurger; 6/9/09 at 7:54 PM.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
10/26/07, 10:12 PM   #17
tntbusco

Avilla. I agree what a great little track. Even with terrible management once Howard Bice passed away. I also wonder why no dirt tracks have opened after Warsaw,Avilla and Bryan closed. It seems only asphalt tracks are open and none of them do too well. Where can we get someone to open a dirt track and get rich???? Hey Tony why not
Northeast Indiana??? Oh well a guy can dream can't he??:headbang:
Northern Indiana deserves to see guys like this :foxcostanbrough: also without driving for hours

10/27/07, 5:41 PM   #18
FishBurger

Just thought of another one....Thorn Hill Drag Strip in Norther Kentucky. But then again, that one probably doesn't count here at IOW. :wink1:

10/27/07, 6:05 PM   #19
Dwight Clock

I have to add one also. Penn National, a 1/2 mile dirt track in eastern Pa. Flat with dark, almost black dirt it was a great drivers track for both modifieds and sprint cars. One of the best URC races I ever saw was contested there on July 17, 1983. Dave Kelly had the lead going into turn four on the last lap, was passed on the inside by Donnie Kreitz Jr., and came back on the outside to nip Kreitz in a finish that wasn't decided until two days later when a photo proved that Kelly had won.

6/8/09, 11:14 AM   #20
mod134

Mototown USA, Windsor, CT - Ran Mini Sprints and Stock Cars indoors from Jan. - April 2008.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks you saw racing at but are now gone