IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The racing community lost another today...
11/2/07, 4:55 PM   #1
The racing community lost another today...
Knoke77

Bob Nichols of Columbus, Indiana passed away today at the age of 79. Although not commonly known in today's racing society, Bob was a pioneer in TQ midgets and mini-sprints locally. Bob and his son Robert owned a sprintcar years ago but spent most of their time in the TQ and mini-sprint ranks.

Bob himself is 6th all-time in UMRA point standings and 9th all-time in feature wins.

Bob did more for me in my racing career then I could have ever asked for. From building engines in my TQ days to helping me put in my first sprintcar engine he was always there to help regardless of the situation. After already losing two grandfathers I feel as if I lost another today.

Rest in piece Bob and thank you for all that you have contributed to my life.

Jason Knoke

11/2/07, 5:16 PM   #2
Re: The racing community lost another today...
1BIGracefan

Jake,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss if there is anything I can do for you. You know I am there for you.

Kyle

11/2/07, 5:20 PM   #3
bigmojo5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoke77 View Post
Bob Nichols of Columbus, Indiana passed away today at the age of 79. Although not commonly known in today's racing society, Bob was a pioneer in TQ midgets and mini-sprints locally. Bob and his son Robert owned a sprintcar years ago but spent most of their time in the TQ and mini-sprint ranks.

Bob himself is 6th all-time in UMRA point standings and 9th all-time in feature wins.

Bob did more for me in my racing career then I could have ever asked for. From building engines in my TQ days to helping me put in my first sprintcar engine he was always there to help regardless of the situation. After already losing two grandfathers I feel as if I lost another today.

Rest in piece Bob and thank you for all that you have contributed to my life.

Jason Knoke
From Jim Morrison
Hate to hear the Bob has passed.
If you were running stuff Bob put together you had more than just a chance to win. You were someone others had to contend with. He's one of those faces you see in dictionary when you look up the word RACER.

11/2/07, 5:39 PM   #4
bgbrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
From Jim Morrison
Hate to hear the Bob has passed.
If you were running stuff Bob put together you had more than just a chance to win. You were someone others had to contend with. He's one of those faces you see in dictionary when you look up the word RACER.
We Have been Running Cars built by Bob since I started in Tq Midgets. That was 1987, I even tagged along with him and Robert when they race their first Mini Sprint at Salem Fairgrounds.

Bob Nichols was one of the founding Members of the Umra Tq Midgets. He was a Driver Champion in 1980 at the age of 52. He then won Back to back championships with his son Robert driving for him. Bob also built the 2006 Umra Championship car Driven By My Son Kenny Byrge.

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the 4 crown this year and spend the Day talking racing with Bob Nichols. I know that we couldn't see the Track most of the time but it was still one of the best races I have ever seen mainly because It was the Last time at the track With Bob.

Rest in Peace Bob. You are a racing Legend. And A friend that we will miss.:respect::respect:

Dale Byrge

11/2/07, 6:54 PM   #5
Danny Burton

Derek Scheffel's dad, Ron, has been giving updates lately and it wasn't looking good at all. I talked with him a couple of years ago and asked him if he remembered my dad. Of course he did; they went to school together in Azalia, Indiana long ago.

Bob was one of a kind and will be missed. Jake, thanks for sharing this. I had the feeling as soon as I saw your title for this thread.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

11/2/07, 6:55 PM   #6
Throttle10e

Robert.......

Shane and I are sorry to hear about your dad passing. You know we are here for you if you need anything. Godspeed to our friend Bob.

Danelle

11/2/07, 11:22 PM   #7
TQ97

We lost a good one today....you couldn't of met a nicer guy.

Here's hoping there's a dirt track to run on and cars to work on up there for Bob :checkered:

11/3/07, 12:44 PM   #8
somebodysmam

We have lost a very good friend. RIP Bob

He was a valued member of AMSA

He was a valued member of mankind.

Robert ,you,your son and mother are in our prayers

Maurice,Harriet,Zack and Dale

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The racing community lost another today...