IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Needed: A little encouragement
11/21/07, 11:27 AM   #11
Re: Needed: A little encouragement
Al Soran

Hang in there Tom. When there's pain, just close your eyes and put yourself sitting on a plank at the track next Spring. Feel the cool quiet air on your face. The calm of a Midwest evening gently interupted by the sound of the year's very first sprint car's rear tires not giving at first, then reluctantly turning, revealing the slight whining of the rear end gears and then......BOOM! It fires, shattering the silence, and sending goose bumps up your legs. After it passes, you smell that sweet spent methanol for the first time in months. Moments later, there's a dozen of 'em slinging Indiana dirt skyward, lifting the front ends, bicycling, slamming onto the turns. Ahhh! Yes!! It will get here, and you will be there my friend, and this pain will pass.

11/21/07, 11:28 AM   #12
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Shoemaker View Post
Tom,

About a month and half ago I had a similiar situation. I had a severe abdominal pain. The pain got worse the next day, almost like contractions every 20 minutes. The worst pain I have ever felt. I finally went to the ER. They ran a CT Scan and some X-rays. They found an obstruction in my small intestine. The CT Scan showed areas around my appendix. They had another doctor check out the area and found that actually my appendix was fine but my illium (part of intestine) was inflammed. Which was causing the severe pain. I spent 4 days in the hospital running tests and getting a colonoscopy. Being tied up in the hospital definitely was a horrible experience for me with such an active lifestyle. It was hard to sleep with an IV and nurses coming in all the time, not being able to really move for 4 days. It was very depressing as well. I was in so much pain and depressed about being tied down..
I found out that I may have Crohn's Disease, which is where your small and large intestine can't break down a lot of foods. Your system isn't able to absorb things such as Calcium and Zinc.
I was stirred in the direction of a Doctor who had problems such as before. He was diagnosed with Crohn's and Ulcertive Colitius (SP?). He went through tests, medicine and such before he found a diet that suited him.
The Book is called "The Maker's Diet" - by Jordan Rubin.
Most of the information could be benificial to anyone about having a healthy digestive system or really just educating yourself about what foods to look for at the store. I learned things like (not drinking anything while you eat a meal - reason being the digestive system needs the correct time to digest the nutrients, while drinking washes some through without being absorbed)..
I have changed my diet to certain things. I am not completely following the diet, but have cut back or eliminated food that causes problems when digesting. I took all of this for granted and I was glad I educated myself about it.

Glad things are going well for you now, Tom.

Tyler Shoemaker
www.tylershoemakerracing.com
Tyler, my wife has had Crohn's and colitis for several years now. Sometimes she has unbearable pain. She takes 3 or 4 different meds. I've seen it first hand with her and it is terrible to see her suffer.

I've also had a friend and coworker that had surgery for Crohn's a few years back, and they are doing much better now.

I hope that it all works out for you, because I know it can be really bad. Best of luck and have a good Thanksgiving.

P.S. Thanks for the tip on that book.

11/21/07, 12:30 PM   #13
Jerry Spencer

Stay strong summer is just around the corner.

Jerry,Sarah,Paul and Josh Spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com

11/21/07, 12:32 PM   #14
Flatrightrear

Thank you everyone for your positive support. Looking back I was whining quite a bit about my problem when so many have it 10 times worse than me. So I guess I am thankful to be able TO whine. Just call me Mario. :emote20: Tom

11/21/07, 2:02 PM   #15
nonwing

Tom, I've had 3 abdominal surgeries for colon cancer (2 within 3 months of each other) and I was told that abdominal surgeries are one of the most painful surgeries you can have. You should contact your surgeon and try and get more pain meds. I have found that surgeons are not big on pain meds, but you need to push them. They have this fear you will get hooked, but I remind them that there are places you can go to get un-hooked and you should not have to go through this being uncomfortable. The problem is that if you are hurting then you have a very difficult time doing your walking which really speeds up the healing.Try and walk at least once a day if not two.

Also, don't be surprised if it takes all 8 weeks to get back on your feet and go to work. I thought they were nuts, but it took me 8 weeks the first time, 7 weeks the second and only 4 this last time. Regardless, it feels like it takes for ever. You will also struggle with using you stomach to lift or carry anything for quite a while. Believe it or not, it took a year before I felt like I could really move around well. Hopefully, you can bounce back sooner.

Hang in there and take your pain meds. Stay positive, relax and try not to get too bored.

Tyler, Kevin, Danny B's wife and Bill G - I wish you guys the best. Abdominal stuff is a rough deal for anyone.

George Wilkins

11/21/07, 2:44 PM   #16
Pat O'Connor Fan

Hi Tom,
The words in the post right above this one came from one tough man. George recovered to the extent that he was able to return to the cockpit at least once this past summer. :respect:
I'm going to be so bold as to assume that you will be able to attend races next spring. I hope to meet you, and many of the board's other "regulars" when the 'Burg has their early season USAC sprint car event.
Get that Flatrightrear aired up, and we will see you at the sprint car races next spring!

11/21/07, 7:41 PM   #17
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Tom, I hope you start feeling much better soon! What a trauma! It will take time but try to stay positive! It sounds like you are lucky to be in the land of the living!
Best wishes to you and everyone else on this thread!

11/21/07, 8:03 PM   #18
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Tom, you are in our thoughts and prayers! Get well soon:checkered:

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

11/21/07, 9:15 PM   #19
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Tom,

I've never had any personal experience with anything of that nature so I can't give you any advice. But you are in my thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to seeing you in your usual spot at Haubstadt this summer!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Needed: A little encouragement