IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini Spirnt Radiator Rock Protection and Air Flow
5/24/13, 6:01 PM   #1
Mini Spirnt Radiator Rock Protection and Air Flow
racer8432955

Need to keep my car cooler. R1 on gas, distilled water & water wetter in a aluminum radiator. Financially, switching to alchohol in NOT an option right now.

Does anyone use one of the half hoods as pictured below? I'm guessing air flow can't get better than these style hoods (i call 1/2 hoods)?

That said, would some honeycomb and Outerwears speedscreen be enough protection with this type of hood?

What about the aluminum air ducts big sprint cars run directing air up, but covering 1/2 the radiator. I can see the protection of it, conversely the air flow would decrese. I'm guessing this not a problem with alky?

Any thoughts? As always I appreciate the help. Have a nice Memorial Day!

5/24/13, 11:26 PM   #2
Re: Mini Spirnt Radiator Rock Protection and Air Flow
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer8432955 View Post
Need to keep my car cooler. R1 on gas, distilled water & water wetter in a aluminum radiator. Financially, switching to alchohol in NOT an option right now.

Does anyone use one of the half hoods as pictured below? I'm guessing air flow can't get better than these style hoods (i call 1/2 hoods)?

That said, would some honeycomb and Outerwears speedscreen be enough protection with this type of hood?

What about the aluminum air ducts big sprint cars run directing air up, but covering 1/2 the radiator. I can see the protection of it, conversely the air flow would decrese. I'm guessing this not a problem with alky?

Any thoughts? As always I appreciate the help. Have a nice Memorial Day!

On gas you need to invest in a little electric fan and run your generator. Open the front like the pic and all you are going to do is destroy your rad. Methanol will fix all that.

Honest Dad himself

5/25/13, 4:59 PM   #3
MC@Performance Fab

An electric fan with either gas or alky is a good idea. Generally speaking running a radiator out front with no body work to help build a high pressure area in front of the radiator isn't very efficient.
Look at your body work in front of the radiator and try altering it to build a high pressure area in front and use the fan to help create a low pressure in back of the radiator. Also using a good shroud with the fan will help.

5/25/13, 5:26 PM   #4
d_norrie92m

racer8432955,

I run a GSXR1000 on gas. I have a Henchcraft with a 1/2 hood and I use a Radiator and Fan that has the most surface area that would fit in a Henchcraft (from Larry at Speedpartz). For coolant, I also use Water Wetter and distilled water. The only thing I have in front of my radiator is a piece of Honeycomb and perforated steel with staggered .25" holes - 58% open (from McMaster-Carr). -also, make sure you have holes in top of your hood or some other way for the air to get out or you might as well block your radiator off!

I hope this info is helpful,
Doug Norrie
Last edited by d_norrie92m; 6/21/14 at 11:42 AM.

5/28/13, 1:56 PM   #5
racer8432955

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_norrie92m View Post
racer8432955,

I run a GSXR1000 on gas. I have a Henchcraft with a 1/2 hood and I use a Radiator and Fan that has the most surface area that would fit in a Henchcraft (from Larry at Speedpartz). For coolant, I also use Water Wetter and distilled water. The only thing I have in front of my radiator is a piece of Honeycomb and perforated steel with staggered .25" holes - 58% open (from McMaster-Carr). -also, make sure you have holes in top of your hood or some other way for the air to get out or you might as well block your radiator off!

I hope this info is helpful,
Doug Norrie
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am already running a fan. I will work on gettting the rad. better airflow.

Doug, Have you sustained much radiator damage only running your 1/2 hood configuration? I you have a pic of your hood / front half of the car i would appreciate it.
Thanks Again!

5/28/13, 2:45 PM   #6
TQ29m

Rocks have not been a problem, the way I have mine set up. My radiator is behind the front section of the hood, it is a twin tube from C&R Racing Radiators, in Indy, so it has lots of area, and that much more water. I made an apron, that fits on top of the radiator, and pretty much seals off any air going over the top, then on the bottom, I made some oval ductwork, that fastens with dzus buttons to the lower frame rail cross piece, and ducts the air up to the rad, then on top of the rad, I have a bib that catches the air, and directs it thru the radiator, I also have two nacaducts in the hood to pick up that extra bit that wants to go over the top. I use waterwetter, and 50/50 mix antifreeze, and a 3/8" hole in a washer on the input side of the radiator. Been running this setup since 05, with no problems yet. This is a crossflo, 2 pass radiator. This is on a YZF600R Yamaha that I run with the bigger Honda's in a TQ. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 5/28/13 at 5:12 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini Spirnt Radiator Rock Protection and Air Flow