IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New to lightning, need bailey setup help
10/21/15, 6:36 PM   #1
New to lightning, need bailey setup help
jasonwess

so I purchased a early 2000 bailey up right a few years back it needed a lot of work and at that time I contacted bailey to purchase a few parts and tried to learn a few things about the car. to be honest they were not much help, almost on the rude side, so i gave it up and continued racing my micro witch I'm glade i did because I learned a lot. So now its time to go lightning racing i have not been able to find bailey on-line anymore are they still in business? Im looking for a some basic setup info bar size, blocking, front axle width, and right rear location any help would be appreciated

10/21/15, 6:46 PM   #2
Re: New to lightning, need bailey setup help
Jim Gardner

2 inch blocks up front 3 in the rear. Run straight 900s in the rear with an 850 in the LF and an 875 in the RF. Crank half a round in the RR and leave the tire out as far as possible and work your way from there.

2 members like this post: cmiracingvids, jasonwess
10/21/15, 7:39 PM   #3
cmiracingvids

Also, pick up Steve Smith's Mini Sprint Chassis Technology book. It's online from lots of sources for about 20 bucks. Well worth it. Great book that'll help you out a lot.

1 member likes this post: hoscalecody
10/21/15, 8:59 PM   #4
jasonwess

thanks Jim, now under the rear axle the bottom bar runs diagonally up and back to the torsion tubes do you block the rear from the diagonal bar or from the flat bottom bar?

10/21/15, 9:14 PM   #5
Hillbilly95

My car is like that. The block measure assumes you would be coming off of a flat frame rail. I set mine up level on a concrete floor and figured it out with a tape measure. My 3-1/4" block is actually only about 1-1/8" thick because of the slope of the frame rail.

1 member likes this post: jasonwess
10/21/15, 9:21 PM   #6
Bradleyracing86

Sure you have a Bailey?

10/21/15, 10:58 PM   #7
Bradleyracing86

Need to verify what car you have.
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 10/21/15 at 10:59 PM.

10/22/15, 6:43 AM   #8
jasonwess

its a bailey up right a few years back sent photos to bailey and had it confirmed

10/22/15, 1:26 PM   #9
Jim Gardner

that's interesting mine were all ERCs- same pickup points but didnt have this cross member which you've mentioned. Those block heights refer to the straight bottom frame rail

10/23/15, 6:20 AM   #10
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Jim, maybe he's referring to the kickup on the main rails? I had to make blocks with an angle for my Doemelt; sort of ended up looking like a map of Indiana, which isn't a bad thing...
Is the setup you gave for wing or non-wing? Just curious.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New to lightning, need bailey setup help