IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TY Kokomo & The O'connors
7/4/23, 12:32 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

First off, if you dont like me or my post, then just back out now bc you wont like this one either and it's a long post and this isn't about you. If your my friend then I encourage you to keep reading.

For me personally July 3rd and 4th can be a great time and it can be a sad time as my late father a very well known man and respected man in the Kokomo and Howard County area passed on July 4th 2021. His last good night of living was July 3rd 2021 and as he went to sleep that night he texted me and said hows the racing and I said it's awesome Dad and he said great enjoy the race, see you tomorrow...that was the last time I would hear/read that.

This man took me to Kokomo my entire childhood life until my accident at the age of 13, as he worked the back stretch gate. When my friends and I wouldn't listen, my Dad would get one of his good friends, one of the Deputy Sheriff's working at the track and we would get put in shackles haha. Always sitting along the back stretch in the back of his pick up truck. Every race holding Trenton up on the wall during wheel pack so he could give his Dad, DoubleD, Dave Darland the thumbs up. Dave knew where we all was as our families were very good friends. Dave would roll by giving the thumbs up.

Fast forward to May 2017, after a long stint away from racing due to my accident, I returned to the Kokomo Speedway due to my business and the work that I do as I was called to the track. That night was the BCDouble. Wouldn't you know it after all those years of missing some phenomenal racing and drivers, I get to see Dave Darland win yet another Feature. That was a special moment in itself.

Fast forward to last night. The eve of my Dad's 2 year death anniversary. I needed a good night mentally and some relaxation as things in my life are going crazy with it being 4H prefair week. Absolutely beautiful night, one of the biggest crowds I have ever seen outside of the obvious big time shows. Basically a "regular show" with Fireworks. Nearly 100 cars signed in. 24 Nonwing Spints, nearly 50 Mods, around 25 Thunder Cars. Backstretch was standing room only and even that was packed. Front stretch didnt look like there was very many empty seats either. This is awesome for the track, The O'Connor Family, and racing in general!!

As I was standing in the shop talking to Reece and Jim and another guy about lot of things and thanking them for many things, it was time for the redraw. I'm standing there b.s.ing with DoubleD and Colton, and Cole, then Caleb walks up. Cole draws first with a 6. Dave tells Colton go ahead and Colton says no and looks at me and says you draw for me so I draw a 3 for Colton and Paul in the Legendary Hazen 57 machine, Dave draws a 5. We all walk on the others got the other 3 spots.

Feature time, unbelievable. Colton is absolutely dominating the entire race, DoubleD was in 2nd and was nowhere even close to Colton, Colton and Paul had the race won with ease until a late caution. DoubleD ends up passing Colton on the restart and takes over the lead ultimately going on to win the Feature. I hope not but that very well could have possibly been the last time I see DoubleD, The Hometown Hero, The People's Champ, Dave Darland claim a Feature victory and it happened to be at his hometown track, a house and track he built, on the eve of my Dad's death anniversary!!

As others said and others I watched including myself it was a very emotional moment!! I went and talked to my good buddy Dave after what was an absolutely amazing fireworks show and had some pictures taken with me, him, and Trenton and then went on to congratulate Colton and Paul on a very nicely ran race that they should have won. Colton said man I thought you drew me the lucky spot and we was gonna get it done and Paul chuckled. I said well Colton at least you can say you lost to The Legend, a track he built, with Cole rounding out the top 3.

In the Mods, Derek Losh dominated the entire show, going on to claim the Feature victory. In the Thunder Cars, Sheldon Oberle claimed the Feature win.

All in all, what a phenomenal night, packed house, packed pits, great racing, and outstanding fireworks show!! Congratulations to all the drivers and teams and thank you very much to The O'Connor Family for putting on yet again one hell of a show at the baddest bullring in Indiana, the one and only Kokomo Speedway!!!! Happy Independence Day to all!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 7/4/23 at 12:42 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > TY Kokomo & The O'connors