IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need Help with DSR Zero Pump
6/18/24, 10:56 AM   #1
Need Help with DSR Zero Pump
ericg25

Hey all, wondering if there's anyone out there who can help me figure out what i need to do to get my fuel system working properly. I'll list some info below, if anyone has any pump curves for a DSR "0" pump that would be great, it's been really tough to get any good info on this since Darryl passed away.

Pump part number: DSR p/n 0-30069 (card says CCR rotation, 1.66 GPM @ 1800 RPM @ 50 PSI)
Engine: Iron block & Head SBC w/ Willy's 4412 carb. I have dyno sheets that show fuel usage in #/hr vs. rpms

Problem: Engine stumbles a lot on lower rpms, especially starts and restarts. It behaves like a rich stumble. I think the pump provides too much fuel to the carb for it to work properly so i'm looking for help on sizing a bypass system that will take the excess flow away from the carb to help it work more effectively. Waterman won't offer any technical help, only rebuild parts, as they don't have any performance data on the DSR pumps.

Any help or suggestions on who to talk to on getting this sized and sorted out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6/18/24, 11:49 AM   #2
Re: Need Help with DSR Zero Pump
Frank Reiner

What is the fuel pressure at the carb inlet under full load?

6/18/24, 2:39 PM   #3
Hustlin-Hoosier

Race Count Last Year: 22

Does your fuel system have a Pill Holder that returns fuel to your fuel tank ?

6/18/24, 6:44 PM   #4
ericg25

@ Frank Reiner: I don't have a fuel pressure gauge installed. It's a Willy's Super Bowl carb, which I've heard multiple sources (incl. Willy's themselves) say that their arrangement can cause pressure spikes in the inlet line up to 100psi when suddenly dropping the throttle under full load. Obviously this complicates things.

@ Hustlin Hoosier: No it doesn't but I'm considering adding one to cut down on the flow going to the carb. I'm thinking it just doesn't need this much fuel but I'm struggling to figure out how to size that. Have heard from one friend that a Kinsler 3112 w/ a .100 pill is a good start, no idea where to start with quantifying that though.

6/18/24, 7:26 PM   #5
Frank Reiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericg25 View Post
@ Frank Reiner: I don't have a fuel pressure gauge installed. It's a Willy's Super Bowl carb, which I've heard multiple sources (incl. Willy's themselves) say that their arrangement can cause pressure spikes in the inlet line up to 100psi when suddenly dropping the throttle under full load. Obviously this complicates things.

@ Hustlin Hoosier: No it doesn't but I'm considering adding one to cut down on the flow going to the carb. I'm thinking it just doesn't need this much fuel but I'm struggling to figure out how to size that. Have heard from one friend that a Kinsler 3112 w/ a .100 pill is a good start, no idea where to start with quantifying that though.
1) Does the word "dropping" mean closing the throttle?
2) Can you provide pictures of the fuel system components: pump (as installed), pressure regulator, carb? Can you provide a sketch of the connections between components? What is the displacement of the engine? Gasoline or alcohol?
3) The fuel flow mentioned in your first post would support ~1200HP on gasoline!! Pro Stock territory.

6/18/24, 8:12 PM   #6
ericg25

Quote:
1) Does the word "dropping" mean closing the throttle?
2) Can you provide pictures of the fuel system components: pump (as installed), pressure regulator, carb? Can you provide a sketch of the connections between components? What is the displacement of the engine? Gasoline or alcohol?
3) The fuel flow mentioned in your first post would support ~1200HP on gasoline!! Pro Stock territory.
1) yes, especially closing the throttle quickly. This makes it hard to put a pressure gauge on the system, so Willy's recommends that you don't use one at all. The only means you have of limiting your fuel pressure is limiting the restriction on your return line.
2) I've drawn a system schematic to the best of my abilities. The super bowl system is kind of weird, very little info available from it but the intent is to remove the needle & seat system, which i ran last year, varying pressure using a regulator between 3-9 psi. I still experienced similar issues before switching. It's a 355 ci small block chevy, right around 400 hp on the dyno
3) that's what was written on the tag when DSR sent the pump back to me in 2022. I haven't had the pump rebuilt but store it in Marvel Mystery Oil in the offseason and have no reason to believe it's got any issues. I swapped it out for a Waterman 400 for a few races last season and it ran nearly the same.
Attached Images
2024 fuel system schematic.jpg (89.8 KB, 30 views)

6/18/24, 9:20 PM   #7
Frank Reiner

A very interesting system indeed. Typical floatless carburetors have a standpipe in the bowl to establish the fuel level, with the exit of the standpipe connected to a scavenge pump. The question here is: what in the valving of the Willy's system acts to create a low (below atmospheric) pressure condition at the scavenge connection?

For the immediate problem that you are facing: closing throttle at high rpm, a barrel valve that both closes to an idle flow rate to the bowl, and, diverts excess fuel to the return line (like a high-speed bypass in an injection system) would be required. The key to your problem would seem to be in the connections between supply and return. What guidance does Willy's offer?

6/19/24, 2:12 PM   #8
ericg25

Quote:
For the immediate problem that you are facing: closing throttle at high rpm, a barrel valve that both closes to an idle flow rate to the bowl, and, diverts excess fuel to the return line (like a high-speed bypass in an injection system) would be required. The key to your problem would seem to be in the connections between supply and return. What guidance does Willy's offer?
Listening back to some GoPro footage from the other day, it's actually acting up on both deceleration and when I'm getting back onto the throttle (unless I didn't let the RPMs drop low enough, in which case it runs OK off the corner).

I'm running the -8 return line as suggested by Willy's. They are good to deal with for what they know (late models and mods) but don't seem to have too much of a response to the questions I was asking. The Super Bowl system doesn't even come with an info sheet on tuning or anything, they recommend having them install it and dyno test it, and it comes back to you with zero info. Calling them, I was able to get the pointers about upsizing the return line and hi flow vent, which i installed. I've now also heard from someone else with a similar issue that the return line needs to have as little vertical rise in it as possible, so I'm going to try rerouting that too.

6/19/24, 2:59 PM   #9
Frank Reiner

Is your fuel pump camshaft driven or belt driven? If it is belt driven it could be run at a lower ratio (less than 1/2 speed), so as to reduce the overall flow rates.

The comments about vertical orientation of the return lines do tend to emphasize the desirability of a return scavenge pump. Would class rules permit that?

Could the combined return connections in the Willy's plumbing be separated into two returns, one for the overflow, and a separate one for the supply side to dump the pump output when the barrel valve is closed at high RPM?

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need Help with DSR Zero Pump