IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gambling on Auto Racing?
6/6/24, 4:57 PM   #11
Re: Gambling on Auto Racing?
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1808 View Post
That's right! I have questions.
Since You think I am stupid about this inform me.
Do they have a part in this? They seem to promote advertise it, Make money off of it? Has the mission statement changed?

Why attack me for questioning that? This is far from being any stick n ball sport gambling.
I have been a member of this Club for many many years, as was my Father. Are you?

I (and apparently others) want to know if USAC is involved & why?
Now do you understand?
Also, Is this not what a public forum is for?
First off, it's not my job to educate you. And it's not a public forum. It's a privately owned message board, that has rules, as in the Terms of Service that Bill wrote, that you agreed to, when you joined this board. Personal attacks are against the rules and if you can't make your point with attacking someone's integrity, you're not going to influence or persuade anyone, anyway.

And as a member of USAC, if you have a problem with something they're doing, you should show up in person and air your grievances. And if you still want to question their integrity or their respect for the sport, you should do it to their face, instead of on an internet message board, under a screen name.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5 members like this post: Blitzman, opnwhlmnd, RacingFan52, TQ97, Vookie
6/6/24, 5:06 PM   #12
Vookie

NHRA partners with ALT Sports Data or exclusive global sports betting data rights.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2024/nhra-...ng-data-rights

https://dirtrackr.com/daily/1090
Last edited by Vookie; 6/6/24 at 5:14 PM.

6/6/24, 5:48 PM   #13
DJlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodramazone20 View Post
This gambling angle is a gimmick...its all smoke and mirrors...they are grasping for straws as the product on the track continues to dwindle away...Trusting this sanctioning body to operate this on the up and up is a stretch and if you do, then God Bless you.
Are you truly aware of the depth and breadth of USAC's involvement's? It goes way beyond SC, sprints and midgets and even just sanctioning races.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
6/6/24, 9:10 PM   #14
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
First off, it's not my job to educate you. And it's not a public forum. It's a privately owned message board, that has rules, as in the Terms of Service that Bill wrote, that you agreed to, when you joined this board. Personal attacks are against the rules and if you can't make your point with attacking someone's integrity, you're not going to influence or persuade anyone, anyway.

And as a member of USAC, if you have a problem with something they're doing, you should show up in person and air your grievances. And if you still want to question their integrity or their respect for the sport, you should do it to their face, instead of on an internet message board, under a screen name.

Jerry
I’m confused. Jerry you usually are one of the people I enjoy reading on this forum. This thread has either got you out of character or you have changed. The first response you wrote the gentleman made accusations on a public forum. Then your second response mentions this isn’t a public forum. I’m confused which is it? If this message board is not a forum for the public to discuss things whether you like what was said or not, then what is it?? Again so I’m not confused did you think he was attacking you or USAC??

1 member likes this post: progressive22
6/7/24, 9:25 AM   #15
flagboy55

Racing is already surrounded with attempts at breaking the rules. Pick any cliché you wish that applies, “if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying” there’s more. And that’s just for what’s posted as income. Now throw in a potential windfall from an adjusted outcome, and there you have incentive for foul play. I don’t gamble on sports, so I don’t really care. I do however care about the integrity of the sport, which is already dubious at times by some opinions. Do I think any shady stuff will happen, I doubt it. Do I think this will help USAC’s exposure, not much. Will USAC find some revenue from this, possibly. All in all I think it’s unnecessary, but I don’t run the show, I just buy tickets and subscription’s to my favorite racing on the planet.

2 members like this post: erich45, oppweld
6/7/24, 11:02 AM   #16
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
......“if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying” there’s more. And that’s just for what’s posted as income. Now throw in a potential windfall from an adjusted outcome, and there you have incentive for foul play. .................
This was tried at a couple of East Coast tracks during the midget boom right before WWII. They had betting windows just like horse tracks. It didn't last too long because of drivers figuring out that they could make more money betting through their friends than they could racing. I believe Chris Economaki mentioned this in his autobiography.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Indy1808, tirespinner
6/7/24, 12:43 PM   #17
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 12
Race Count Last Year: 22

Someone please tell me why USAC is such a sacred cow, that they can't benefit from possibly increasing fan engagement, viewership, sponsorships, and advertising deals that will increase as the sport hopefully becomes more popular. I do not know of one sports league that you can't bet on. This doom and gloom mentality baffles me. Everyone on here complains about the payouts. I see this as a possible way to generate more income, so hopefully it can trickle down to the teams and drivers. Is it possible that someone involved in the sport will try to change the outcome of a race due to betting? Sure, it can happen in any sports league and should be dealt with by harsh punishment. I understand this may worry some folks, but how about directing your questions to USAC to find out " what's in it for them ". I'm not worried, so if somebody finds out let us know.

6/7/24, 2:35 PM   #18
chathamracefan

The risk with gambling is higher the further away one gets from the top levels of the sport. For example a Kyle Larson makes enough $ as is to risk it by fixing races. At the usac level the temptation would be higher purely from a risk vs reward. Same thing applies with college sports and some of them have gotten in trouble for betting with draft kings or one of the other apps. All usac can do is put in strong deterrents to stop it. Lifetime bans or similar type of punishments if one ever gets caught in a fixing scheme.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
6/7/24, 3:36 PM   #19
flagboy55

Chief, I don’t know anyone who’s against increased exposure, it’s just that gambling comes with some inherent risk that’s already manifested itself in other sports. Heck, guy’s will soak a tire for $1500, and everyone knows it’s cheating, imagine what someone might do for more. It’s just the baggage with this that some see a potential problem with. I think they would draw more exposure if they could get one of their graduates to put their name on the series. But that’s a topic for another time

6/18/24, 5:47 PM   #20
Vookie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB7D5o_5Z7U

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gambling on Auto Racing?