IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maverick Mayhem Feedback
6/25/24, 3:18 PM   #1
Maverick Mayhem Feedback
staggerman

I attended all 4 nights and it was a great to see some great winged racing in Indiana. Big thanks to the Maverick and IRA sanctions for putting this event together. Car counts were tremendous and had a great variety of teams participating. As someone who loves all sprint car racing but I get mainly to winged shows in Ohio nowadays. Indiana fans should be proud to be able to go to events at Lincoln Park, Bloomington, Tri-state and Terre Haute. Great facilities, nice staff, know how to work a track when needed, and good food at each. Really give a thumbs up to the tenderloin at Terre Haute!

Suggestions for 2025:
1) Add non-wing sprints as lone support class each night. This would expand the attendance from the non winged fans who could get exposed to winged racing and vice versa. I saw many complaining online of the $30 price for attendance but that is only $5 more than a USAC show and much larger purse was paid.
2) Have set race format that is consistent night to night
3) Thursday was a tough sell for the fans, maybe a 3 night weekend is enough but not sure what track I would get rid of as I liked them all?
4) Promotion needs improved, more on social media and local advertising. Many people did not know the event was going on

Lets do it again in 2025

6/25/24, 3:48 PM   #2
Re: Maverick Mayhem Feedback
Dale

The B and C Saturday were two of the best races I have seen this year.

6/26/24, 8:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
I attended all 4 nights and it was a great to see some great winged racing in Indiana. Big thanks to the Maverick and IRA sanctions for putting this event together. Car counts were tremendous and had a great variety of teams participating. As someone who loves all sprint car racing but I get mainly to winged shows in Ohio nowadays. Indiana fans should be proud to be able to go to events at Lincoln Park, Bloomington, Tri-state and Terre Haute. Great facilities, nice staff, know how to work a track when needed, and good food at each. Really give a thumbs up to the tenderloin at Terre Haute!

Suggestions for 2025:
1) Add non-wing sprints as lone support class each night. This would expand the attendance from the non winged fans who could get exposed to winged racing and vice versa. I saw many complaining online of the $30 price for attendance but that is only $5 more than a USAC show and much larger purse was paid.
3) Thursday was a tough sell for the fans, maybe a 3 night weekend is enough but not sure what track I would get rid of as I liked them all?
4) Promotion needs improved, more on social media and local advertising. Many people did not know the event was going on

Lets do it again in 2025
I will never understand the wing hatred. I enjoy both. I have a ton of respect for the drivers that are able to run well in both. Field quality was GREAT!

6/26/24, 10:10 AM   #4
hilly

Race Count This Year: 4

We only made it to Terre Haute. I thought the racing was great! My first time seeing wings on at TH. Watching them come into turn 1 from the infield was wild. Worth the money IMO. My boys loved it and the ice cream was good lol. I second the idea for nonwing support class.

6 members like this post: Dale, dirtybob29, flagboy55, Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012
6/26/24, 2:11 PM   #5
Hubie48

I don't have hatred, just not a wing guy (and I doubt I ever will be)

That being said, the series was excellent and I enjoyed as the racing was close. I was flabbergasted at the car counts. It is no big mystery, its the money from 4th thru the field which makes it viable

6 members like this post: flagboy55, nathans1012, OnTheHammer, racenut69, spicoli, Tom23
6/27/24, 4:12 PM   #6
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post

Suggestions for 2025:

Lets do it again in 2025
Having non-wing as a support class is a stupid suggestion for 2 reasons. The first is that the classes of cars like two different tracks. Wings like it drier and non-wing like it wetter. The wings go first and wear out the track and then the non-wing get a dry-slick huggy pole race which makes their racing suck and cements them as a slower, not as entertaining race. Second is we (non-wing) don't want to classified as a lower class. They spend a lot of money just like wings to race a different style of racing.

6/27/24, 7:27 PM   #7
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
Having non-wing as a support class is a stupid suggestion for 2 reasons. The first is that the classes of cars like two different tracks. Wings like it drier and non-wing like it wetter. The wings go first and wear out the track and then the non-wing get a dry-slick huggy pole race which makes their racing suck and cements them as a slower, not as entertaining race. Second is we (non-wing) don't want to classified as a lower class. They spend a lot of money just like wings to race a different style of racing.
You absolutely could not have worded your statement any better! Well done on the common sense.

4 members like this post: Fat RR, flagboy55, OnTheHammer, wallbanger II
6/27/24, 7:58 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
I agree 100% used to go to waynesfield and see three groove racing Non Wing.

Since they paired about every race with wings, Now it's a one lane snoozefest. They even grade the cushion off............ Pfft.

6/28/24, 2:01 PM   #9
flagboy55

I’m curious how this will work out going forward. I didn’t wish any I’ll will toward them, in fact I hoped it would do well. However with what can only be described as abysmal attendance through the front gate, you would think it has a dubious future. It seems to me that in Indiana, the wing folks might have the bullhorn, because there’s not enough of them to raise their own voice. I can only imagine how poorly attended this would have been had the IRA not been involved. I get a kick also out of the folks telling me I have to support it. Guess what? I know what I prefer and will try to support that when I can. I actually supported this, in spite of not attending one race in person. Like I told my friends out on the PA trip, I’m always told, if you can’t make it to the track, be sure to watch on Flo. And that’s exactly what I did. I don’t really blame anyone about what happened as far as turnout goes. I applaud Abe and Spiker for giving it a try. Better to swing and miss than to never take the bat off your shoulder

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
6/29/24, 11:54 AM   #10
DJlives

I don't think the IRA involvement had any impact on the attendance. This is not a knock on a solid series but their top drivers don't have a burgeoning fanbase in Indiana = Perhaps in time they will.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Maverick Mayhem Feedback