IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Announcer
6/29/24, 4:39 PM   #11
Re: USAC Announcer
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

IDK, Think it's time we all be a little nicer. Most of the time if I say anything, it's from a constructive. I think this could make it better reason.

I say things because at the end of last year Chet was doing a broadcast and like halfway thru the show he started yelling as if someone from FLO or USAC had told him. YOUR NOT BEING ENERGETIC ENOUGH or something. Also gave a few jabs at the fans on twitter.

Mike Joy even did so a few times the last couple years *Jab at the fans either on the broadcast or twitter* I couldn't believe it. I think he owns the production company for Fox. People as wrong as they may be don't like that stuff

It's a thankless job and even the ones I don't like are putting up with Heat, Wet, Half a year away from home and fans criticizing everything.

If Bud was still n vogue. I'd call em Real American Heros. *Mr. Dirt Track representative announcer guy*

6/29/24, 5:35 PM   #12
Ilovedirttrackracing

Well I am hoping that he will be interviewing Robert Ballou tonight in victory lane. That will give everyone another reason to complain about the things that we all love ❤️. Lmao. Have fun and enjoy the great things that we all love. God bless America 🇺🇸. Go Blu. Thanks ❤️

6/29/24, 5:47 PM   #13
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Im sorry, Im unimpressed with HL's coverage. They sound like they're at a wake and would rather trade self deprecating jabs at each other than give facts and figures and future event dates. The downtime is EXCESSIVE and a repeating drone loop is ridiculous. I also don't get the not interviewing the winners. The Playlist crap is just that, IT's a event, Play music that gets people reved up and interested not TAYLOR SWIFT.
I am quite impressed with HL coverage. Professional, informative, knowledgeable mike personnel lead to a well presented program. I think their downtime is very minimal compared to other similar broadcasts. I find their jabs at each other comical at times. I believe they have hit a well rounded happy medium considering that they are still in their infancy. JMO

6/29/24, 6:04 PM   #14
sp6967

all flo needs is Darrell Waltrip and digger, that would help the broadcast.

6/29/24, 7:02 PM   #15
Blacki-Suede

As a former track promotor I can attest to the fact that, according to fans, the track announcer was never good enough. What fans must remember, the announcer’s job is to entertain. If you are a die hard race fan you really don’t need an announcer as you already know what is going on, if you are at a track for entertainment you need an announcer. Hopefully one that is knowledgeable and entertaining.

BTW: I agree that the downtime on FLO coverage could use a little help. Plenty of interesting things could be used to fill in that time.

4 members like this post: 2fast4u, Charles Nungester, Hubie48, oldfan49
6/29/24, 7:03 PM   #16
ossuks

Ahh, any time you have to listen to the same guy 70 -90 times a year they all get old, not thier fault! At least they can hang thier hat on an original line, the guy at the WOO uses the line that was always used to intro the band KISS, " you wanted the best you got the best" as if it was his own!

1 member likes this post: Hubie48
6/29/24, 7:38 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacki-Suede View Post
As a former track promotor I can attest to the fact that, according to fans, the track announcer was never good enough. What fans must remember, the announcer’s job is to entertain. If you are a die hard race fan you really don’t need an announcer as you already know what is going on, if you are at a track for entertainment you need an announcer. Hopefully one that is knowledgeable and entertaining.

BTW: I agree that the downtime on FLO coverage could use a little help. Plenty of interesting things could be used to fill in that time.
They can say what they want about Bert Swoffert. But as A kid I think the most we visited was four or five times a year and I knew the names and cars they drove every week, even when they'd switched rides. I still misspronounce Johnny Crabs and Salamino just as he did.

3 members like this post: Blacki-Suede, TQ29m, wallbanger II
6/29/24, 8:26 PM   #18
Rapid Rick

I have no problem with him on Flo, but with less than optimum PA systems at some of these tracks his voice is very hard to hear. No problem hearing Pat Sullivan with cars on track. At Bloomington midget week no idea on qualification runs. By the way, what happened to that nice electronic scoreboard that used to travel with midget week?

1 member likes this post: Fat RR
6/29/24, 9:13 PM   #19
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 12
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Rick View Post
By the way, what happened to that nice electronic scoreboard that used to travel with midget week?
You mean the one that use to freeze up and they had to reboot multiple times a race? Haven’t seen it in multiple years.

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
6/29/24, 11:04 PM   #20
Bill Angel

I miss Chet, I think he was entertaining and he did a lot of interviews and reviews that seems to be missing now.
I’m not a “lunch money” fan!
I got the impression Tony Laporte tried to come to USAC announcing trying to educate the viewers although most of us knew more than he did. He’s come a long way and found his niche. He’s very entertaining and knowledgeable now.
I find the High Limit production by Flo to be the best of the 3 (USAC, WOO, High Limit)

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Hubie48, Kansasdirtfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Announcer