IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Macon Speedway - TOP GUN WEEKEND - 6/28&29/2024
7/1/24, 8:35 PM   #1
Macon Speedway - TOP GUN WEEKEND - 6/28&29/2024
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Macon Speedway - TOP GUN WEEKEND - 6/28&29/2024
Before this great event gets too far away, I wanted to say how disappointed with the Fri/Sat. USAC crowd. It was $30, worth every penny to me, perhaps not your local fan, lower car count and all. Plus we did have some iffy weather conditions, which actually made for great track conditions & some real horsepower (thus the front weight controversy?). If you never been to this lil bull ring, it's a track I grew up around from age 6 but that's a long story that I won't put on here.

These 2 nights had some really great heroic & strategic Sprint Car racing just like the days of old. Kudos to All involved including Concessions/workers, Track man O'Connor, Mr. Turner & Brown & USAC for putting on a great & timely show plus having the fortitude to save the track Saturday after the post qualification sudden cloudburst. They easily could have called it but instead persevered so that we got to see 3 exciting heats & a most breathtaking 50 lap feature on a beautiful June summer night in central Illinois.

I really hope that MACON will have it again, being that there are new owners. Why am I worried? Because you people sit at home & don't come out. Really worried how owners made out money wise.

I said this before any of the television stuff really got rolling, that if the fans don't attend in person, then television doesn't have a product to sell.

I sincerely hope that FLO, USAC and new owners read this because I do have one thing that was really terrible I thought & this ones especially on Flo (however they won't care but the others should!)
Now having said that, in over 6 decades of seeing Open Wheel oval racing, I have NEVER seen the Winner's Circle podium interviews conducted in turns 1 & 2 facing the infield!!!! NOT facing the fans that paid their hard-earned money & drove X miles to come to see this event. What or who decided to move it from the front stretch Friday should be fired or severely reprimanded. I ask anyone involved with this decision WHY?
Do they interview the Indy 500 winner in the Snake Pit? Do they interview the Kentucky Derby winner in the horse barn? Do they interview the Tour de France bicycle winner under the Eiffel Tower? What the hell is wrong with you people?
I was appalled that this was allowed & frankly that none of you on IOW that attended said anything about it but maybe you were on the road already? I saw Ben, Dan & Funk to name a few. I'm not sure that the owners knew this was going to happen? Granted, people on the back stretch realize that the Winter Circle interviews are not going to happen in front of them but the people on the front stretch expect it to happen in front of them! GEEZ!

Now let me say one more thing whether or not you like Robert Ballou when he finished up he made sure he turned to the right, away from the pit entrance. He had his crew intentionally push him back in front of the front stretch to wave and greet the people that cheered (& yes, booed) for him all the way back around the back stretch the same thing on his way out but not not the other 2 podium finishers but Robert Ballou did. That's a class act!

So tell you what Flo, you need to set that Podium up like it's supposed to be at every other track. On the front stretch, where its expected, in front of the people that pay the money and come to these events in person. Track owners, Promoters should demand this.

And that...., as Mr. Harvey used to say, so many years ago “Is the rest of the story.”
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

2 members like this post: itsanonwingthing, oppweld
7/1/24, 9:25 PM   #2
Aurora78

The podium was in the sameplace as it was last year. After Saturday feature last year all the cars were stopped on the track so the fans could walk the track and talk to the drivers and Chris handed out sharpies to get autographs.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/1/24, 9:45 PM   #3
Indy1808

Ok So ….you approve.
Last edited by Indy1808; 7/1/24 at 9:58 PM.

7/1/24, 10:10 PM   #4
Aurora78

I didn't say that.

7/1/24, 10:50 PM   #5
Re: Macon Speedway - TOP GUN WEEKEND - 6/28&29/2024
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I think there's more going on than weather. I think the economy is finally catching up with people. This doesn't mean they don't make the shows "THEY REALLY WANT TO MAKE" but maybe three of the ten shows I've gone too were *WELL ATTENDED* Four were certainly money losers and Midget week Burg was a bloodbath.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, flagboy55, jdull99
7/1/24, 11:05 PM   #6
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Definitely noticing poor crowds at Flo events with shaky weather forecasts. People don’t risk it anymore when they can stay home and see it anyway. I wish they would have scheduled the midgets after Springfield like last year. We went to that one. That was a good show and made the whole day more fun.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
7/2/24, 2:01 AM   #7
opnwhlmnd

Victory Lane at Macon has been in the same spot for quite a while now. I know it’s disappointing to some but no USAC/ Flo conspiracy on this one.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, TBONE
7/2/24, 2:05 PM   #8
Re: Macon Speedway - TOP GUN WEEKEND - 6/28&29/2024
Indy1808

I find it surprising that everybody is okay with tv have more and more priority over the attending consumers.
It's very disappointing. I'm so blessed to have seen this sport in most of it's hey day. Not sure how much longer it will be around.

Everyone have a safe 4th of July Holiday no matter what or where you go or do.
Happy Birthday AMERICA! God Bless The USA!
Last edited by Indy1808; 7/2/24 at 2:45 PM.

1 member likes this post: okie
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Macon Speedway - TOP GUN WEEKEND - 6/28&29/2024