7/3/24, 11:16 PM   #11
Re: Kokomo
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Go Blu!!!

7/4/24, 10:19 AM   #12
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Wow what a night at Indiana's baddest bullring and in my opinion one of the best tracks in the country!! So many great things last night.

The Fireworks Race is always on July 3rd at Kokomo every year. It's became a special race to me bc it's the last time I spent good time with my late father, as he passed on the morning of July 4th 2021. It's also a special night for the Crow Family as this night is know as the Dave Crow Classic. RIH Dad and Dave.

Let's fast forward to current. The City's Sewer project is coming along very quickly, very nicely. Next up, the crowd...holy **** was there a crowd or what!!!! I've not seen a "regular show" that packed at Kokomo since I was a kid. Probably anywhere since the late Jerry Gappens had GC booming every Friday night. I mean it was elbow to elbow!!!! This is just an educated guess, I'm not part of the owners so I wouldn't know exactly, but I'd venture to say there was a bigger crowd then there was at High Limit, much less Midget Week or the XRS Late Model show!! Lots and lots of family groups with youngsters that hopefully had a great time and the kids had a great time and want to come back and grow into becoming young race fans to eventually keep the sport going. Also as Moreland said, $15...dirt cheap entrance price!! Wait until next week, at the Howard County 4H Fair, parking alone likely $10 lmfao. Thank you O'connor's for a very affordable gate price!!

Next the actual races. Very good Sprint car count and great racing. Reece did a great job on the track as always especially with the heat humidity and wind. Not sure what happened to JG when he dipped off into the pits but after that Robert Ballou was flat hauling the mail!!!! Pretty well ran away with it although Mitchell Moles was giving it all he had. Some others that ran well was Scotty Weir, Harley Burns, Brayden Fox, Zack Pretorius, and some others. Congratulations and great win Robert!! Great interview as well mentioning The Legendary DoubleD!! Also saying JG is the modern day DoubleD when it comes to Kokomo. Best part of the interview was RB thanking the fans and crowd and how the crowd was huge bc it was not televised...even the drivers know the crowds are getting small bc of streaming...lmfao yet some still refuse to accept the problem.

Onto the Modifieds...arguably the best Mod race in Kokomo Speedway history!! After the first couple of cautions it was full throttle outstanding racing, sometimes going 3 and 4 wide into the turns, with 1st time ever Feature winner Bradley Jameson in the 757 winning by his nose over Todd Sherman!! What an awesome race!! Nice car count for the Mods too!!

Onto the Thunder Cars. Not as many as I expected but 17 still a good number. Made for some competitive racing, especially in the Feature with the 105 of Sheldon Oberle taking the checkers and win while behind him there was lots of action and passing!!

Then Onto to the Fireworks...wow what an outstanding display of Fireworks!! Best I have seen this year anywhere!! One heck of a job!!

Overall one of the best races and atmospheres I've been to in a long long time, especially for a Regular Show!! Thank you to the teams, drivers, fans, employees/track workers for an outstanding night!! Thank you to so many fans who supported The Kokomo Speedway and The O'connor Family!! Happy Independence Day to all!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 7/4/24 at 10:30 AM.

7/4/24, 11:38 AM   #13
Moreland76

I really can’t add anymore to much to what 16j said. Except thank you to the O’conners , their staff,the fans, and all the drivers and crews for giving this 55 year old another great night and why I love going racing!!

5 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, PJ Wright, racegal, stp6237
7/4/24, 5:07 PM   #14
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

A great night of racing in all three divisions. A nice turnout of cars and drivers with plenty of racing action on a perfectly prepared track. A shout out to Harley Burns on a great run to third in the feature and to Scotty Weir on a fourth place finish from deep in the field. The modified feature was probably the best one I have ever seen in my entire race chasing. The first time winner by 73/1000th of a second with great racing through out the field.

Also a big thanks to the O'Connor family for a $15 admission price and an outstanding fireworks show to end the program. A tremendous crowd on hand to enjoy the show. It's called the Badass Bullring for a reason. Get off the couch and get out to enjoy some great racing that no streaming service can ever catch all of the action.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, Moreland76, PJ Wright, racegal
7/4/24, 6:16 PM   #15
flagboy55

I’m really happy to hear about the success of the show last night, but I have to just pause 16j a minute. You really can’t say streaming had anything to do with it. You don’t know that. I would say the 15 dollar ticket and fireworks brought more to the track than anything else. Fireworks just don’t have the same effect on TV. Also how many folks made their first trip there because they’ve seen it streamed? I don’t have any issues with anything else you said, but I don’t think streaming had anything to do with last night

4 members like this post: Aurora78, dkdorkboy, Hubie48, luckybuc97
7/4/24, 6:24 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I’m really happy to hear about the success of the show last night, but I have to just pause 16j a minute. You really can’t say streaming had anything to do with it. You don’t know that. I would say the 15 dollar ticket and fireworks brought more to the track than anything else. Fireworks just don’t have the same effect on TV. Also how many folks made their first trip there because they’ve seen it streamed? I don’t have any issues with anything else you said, but I don’t think streaming had anything to do with last night
I think all of em and Racing less, the loss of Gas City played a part. Thee is no more denying Streaming hurts in iffy or hot/cold conditions. It's a fact.

Overall I think streaming helps with more people introduced to the sport and going in, knowing more about whats going on than simply showing up for the first time.

If the Packer of Mud felt it worthy of posting. I congratulate them on a great show. Kokomo went to a limited schedule a few years ago. so see em when you can.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
7/5/24, 5:50 AM   #17
BLASTER1

Pictures of @robertballou81 outwitting the competition @kokomospeedway in some unsanctioned competition have surfaced! As we all know, this is illegal in @USACNation… well, sort of… maybe… maybe not.. well, no one is actually sure even though it’s in black and white print.
Attached Images
IMG_0576.jpeg (102.5 KB, 14 views)
Last edited by BLASTER1; 7/5/24 at 6:04 AM.

7/5/24, 7:28 AM   #18
flagboy55

Good one Blaster! What ever happened to that controversy anyway?

2 members like this post: BLASTER1, mc/rider
7/5/24, 12:14 PM   #19
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Good one Blaster! What ever happened to that controversy anyway?
Crickets...

6 members like this post: BLASTER1, Chief Wahoo, flagboy55, Grocery Guy, luckybuc97, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo