IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller USAC Article
7/20/24, 8:30 PM   #1
Kevin Miller USAC Article
Vookie

Waiting for some serious meltdowns.
https://www.speedsport.com/insider/f...forge-ahead-2/

7/20/24, 10:24 PM   #2
Re: Kevin Miller USAC Article
yeleyfan76

Birthday parties, weddings. high tech office area, off road trucks, electric 1/4 midgets and all of the rest of that literary verbage. Usac is/was known for Sprint car, Midget car, and Crown car racing. None of what I just read told a story about how in 2007 Mr. Miller raised the bar in that type of racing. If there is one thing that story told us it’s that his focus never was and will never be to promote and raise Usac sprint/midget/crown car racing to a top tier level. All this tells me is that he is a numbers guy, a tech guy, and a person who thinks by succeeding in resurrecting racing series that he wasn’t hired to do is a win, then I guess he snowed everyone. The sprint cars still only raced for 5 g the first nite of sprintacular. That is not progress. Before anyone says yes but they ran for 10 g the second nite, that’s what the minimum every nite should be! No meltdown here. This article proves the point I’ve made in the past that the Miller hire would never help the series’ he was brought on to improve.

4 members like this post: bighd0522, Dblchkrs, Hubie48, TNRustler
7/20/24, 11:41 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

IMO Midget racing is in far worse shape than when he came in.

Sprint racing as well as there were several high dollar sponsors involved. Mopar, Chevy, Tide,Kroger etc. and 30 plus car counts at almost all the races. They do have some bigger paying races. But the guys in the back are still taking a huge hit.

Champ Cars while having a brief expansion due to someone who cared are on the downturn. Although fan base has risen.

I don't know what all is the good part and what he's done to make things worse. either way. I've also seen this racing in my time only have five or six tull timers in the sprints.

I do know a couple things from Staab. They were in big trouble. Several long timers got cut including him. It was Get back in the black quick or cease to exist.

It still exist.

2 members like this post: bvall24, TNRustler
7/21/24, 10:30 AM   #4
The Old Coyote

"This is not your grandparents' USAC. Perhaps the greatest stat is that the organization's traditional sprint car and midget members account for less than three percent of their current annual membership."

Stop and think about that and let it settle in. How much attention do you pay to three percent of your household budget as compared the the attention you pay to the remaining ninety seven percent!

To me it is a miracle that USAC even bothers to run the races let alone try to grow the sport or bother to enforce the rules.

Let's face it fellow IOW'ers, the sport we so dearly love is, in the eyes of USAC management, a Conestoga wagon hitched to a crippled dinosaur.
Last edited by The Old Coyote; 7/21/24 at 10:32 AM.

5 members like this post: bighd0522, Hubie48, racenut69, tirespinner, TNRustler
7/21/24, 11:35 AM   #5
flagboy55

Coyote, you were thinking what I was thinking. In fact, I bet that 3 percent is probably not that far off in the big picture of Sprint Car consumption. It’s a complicated issue. To read this you might be led to believe that he saved USAC. Some might say his lack of interest and promoting has helped drive our part down to 3%. Here’s what I know. I don’t care about off road or electric 1/4 midgets. I care about USAC Sprint Cars, Midgets and Crowns. If all these other things are necessary to keep it afloat, then by all means do so. In fact you need to do it better and reinvest so we can grow the 3 percent

7/21/24, 12:19 PM   #6
dsc1600

Honestly this is a great article to explain why non winged sprints are so far behind their winged counterparts. Could you imagine if World Racing Group had 90% of their business coming from sources outside of winged sprints? The investment into that piece of the business would likely decrease significantly which is sadly what USAC is doing with their dirt oval programs.

5 members like this post: bighd0522, billw, PIT CART, The Old Coyote, TNRustler
7/21/24, 4:28 PM   #7
kendirt

Why don't they have any real competition on the Sprint Car side?

If you operated a winged Sprint, Late Model, or Modified series the way USAC operates someone would step up with a rival series.

2 members like this post: Dougherty20, The Old Coyote
7/21/24, 5:14 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
Why don't they have any real competition on the Sprint Car side?

If you operated a winged Sprint, Late Model, or Modified series the way USAC operates someone would step up with a rival series.

Like WRG did, Powri did etc?
THEY FAILED.

7/21/24, 6:14 PM   #9
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Like WRG did, Powri did etc?
THEY FAILED.
No, I was thinking more like someone who is willing to give it an honest effort and have non-wing Sprint Cars be the focus of their operation.

Neither of those two were ever, or ever intended to be that.

2 members like this post: bighd0522
7/21/24, 6:15 PM   #10
flagboy55

It’s very clear why there’s no competition. There’s no demand for wingless. As far as Sprint Cars are concerned, the racing public have been brainwashed since the Outlaws decided to go wings only. There’s enough demand to keep USAC going and isolated groups elsewhere. This is an indisputable truth. I do believe that USAC could improve their promotion, but taking back any kind of tangible market share is dubious. So in the words of the late great Cigar Dave, quit complaining and enjoy what you got. I need to listen to Dave as well

5 members like this post: EBookerFan, Hubie48, mc/rider, racenut69, The Old Coyote
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Miller USAC Article