IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #1 8/7/24 11:16 AM
Well, my brother (Moreland76) and I made our first trip out to Knoxville for the Nationals. So far the town has delivered on all levels. Not even a speeding ticket just before our exit could stymie our enjoyment thus far. Now we fully understand how the close proximity of all the businesses along 14 ratchets up the vibe that much higher. If you’ve never been, there are literally campers stuffed into corners all over town.

Can’t wait for green flag action and to see the NSHOF. Have a great week yall. Good luck Emerson Axsom!

~Heath Moreland
18 Likes: BrentTFunk, dsc1600, EBookerFan, flagboy55, Grocery Guy, Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, mc/rider, mlamb, motorhead748, nathans1012, oppweld, racenut69, Speedmax3, TBONE, tirespinner, TQ29m
miledirt (Offline)
  #2 8/8/24 9:29 AM
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73:
Well, my brother (Moreland76) and I made our first trip out to Knoxville for the Nationals. So far the town has delivered on all levels. Not even a speeding ticket just before our exit could stymie our enjoyment thus far. Now we fully understand how the close proximity of all the businesses along 14 ratchets up the vibe that much higher. If you’ve never been, there are literally campers stuffed into corners all over town.

Can’t wait for green flag action and to see the NSHOF. Have a great week yall. Good luck Emerson Axsom!
Nothing like it IMO
Hit the parade on Saturday
And the bakeries in nearby Pella one morning
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
TQ29m (Online)
  #3 8/8/24 11:26 AM
Had a good friend who went often in the old days when they were most on open trailers and tents,pushing off in the streets and checking them out in parking lots, lots of people and wild parties so he said, I was never able to go with him, some of us had to work for a living, but I believe every word he said
Good old days

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
6 Likes: Daisy's dad, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, JarrettFarms73, oppweld, tirespinner
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #4 8/8/24 2:33 PM
Have fun. The Pizza place just south of the Dingus is really good, as is the rib shack.
5 Likes: flagboy55, JarrettFarms73, oppweld, TBONE, tirespinner
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #5 8/8/24 2:37 PM
Originally Posted by miledirt:
Nothing like it IMO
Hit the parade on Saturday
And the bakeries in nearby Pella one morning
Both are on the list! We’ve been told to grab a sammich from the Cattleman’s and a chicken/ shrimp & rice from the hawaiian bbq food truck. And of course a stop into the Dingus! Loooooooving this trip!

~Heath Moreland
5 Likes: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012, tirespinner
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #6 8/8/24 2:40 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
Have fun. The Pizza place just south of the Dingus is really good, as is the rib shack.
I could swear I saw the Frolic bar set up over behind turn 3.

~Heath Moreland
3 Likes: flagboy55, oppweld, tirespinner
Daisy's dad (Offline)
  #7 8/8/24 3:08 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
Had a good friend who went often in the old days when they were most on open trailers and tents,pushing off in the streets and checking them out in parking lots, lots of people and wild parties so he said, I was never able to go with him, some of us had to work for a living, but I believe every word he said
Good old days
TQ29, your friend was pretty accurate with his description. Things were pretty wild back then. I went to every Knoxville Nationals from '76 thru '92, and then discovered Indiana and kind of lost interest in the winged stuff. I went back to Knoxville a couple of times over the past few years when USAC scheduled a show there, but have never returned for the Nationals.

4 Likes: flagboy55, Hubie48, oppweld, tirespinner
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #8 8/8/24 3:32 PM
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73:
Both are on the list! We’ve been told to grab a sammich from the Cattleman’s and a chicken/ shrimp & rice from the hawaiian bbq food truck. And of course a stop into the Dingus! Loooooooving this trip!
Ribeye sandwich at Cattleman’s is a must. Knoxville is awesome, glad you’re enjoying it.
4 Likes: flagboy55, Hubie48, JarrettFarms73, PIT CART
captrat (Offline)
  #9 8/8/24 6:28 PM
Went every year from 74-85. Much different vibe compared to what I observe now. Saw my first Knoxville race in 69, have been back for non-wing more my interest, to each their own.
4 Likes: flagboy55, Hubie48, JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
JarrettFarms73 (Offline)
  #10 8/8/24 7:54 PM
Originally Posted by captrat:
Went every year from 74-85. Much different vibe compared to what I observe now. Saw my first Knoxville race in 69, have been back for non-wing more my interest, to each their own.
For my brother and I, it’s more of a bucket list thing. We call ourselves serious sprint car fans, near addicts, so getting to the HOF and a Nationals had a priority. We’lll still spend 90% of our racing money on non wing across the year. Gotta admit though that Knoxville’s (the town) layout in proximity to the track is like nothing i’ve ever seen. And every business, whether on the strip or not, knows exactly why are here and go above and beyond any city i’ve ever been to make us feel welcomed. Gotta give a hat tip where it’s due.

~Heath Moreland
13 Likes: captrat, Daisy's dad, EBookerFan, erich45, flagboy55, jdull99, mc/rider, motorhead748, PIT CART, Pitdad, racenut69, Russ, tirespinner