IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield time trials
8/10/24, 1:13 PM   #1
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Not sure why USAC did tandem qualifying at Salt City with only 19 cars but they better not even think about messing with Springfield or Du Quoin. You can only watch one car at a time so it screws the fans out of half of qualifying which is a third of the program at a silver crown race. These races harken back to the days of the championship/Indy circuit and they did not qualify two at a time. It cheapens the product. Group qualifying seemed to start with winged racing. Their time trials are so boring, half the fans are still at their RV’s drinking. USAC fans like time trials and seeing each car one at a time like was done at sprint week (minus Terre Haute which should have been). USAC has enough people still pissed about the cheating at Macon, they can’t afford to piss off any more of their strongest and most long time supporters.
Last edited by ThrowbackRacingTeam; 8/10/24 at 1:15 PM.

8/10/24, 6:03 PM   #2
Re: Springfield time trials
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'm not ******** but IMO while I was a big fan of single car qualifying. I say either do it that way or group qualify. The J.O thing broke my heart on it and honestly it's half the reason it's so damn expensive.

Also can't understand the non uniformity of formats. Burg and LPS are techncally the same size, yet one gets double car qualifying and eight lap heats, the other gets single car and ten lap heats.

I say except for Crown, Group qualify.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, TNRustler
8/11/24, 2:45 PM   #3
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Group qualifying seemed to start with winged racing. Their time trials are so boring, half the fans are still at their RV’s drinking.
I was at Knoxville all week and didn't see half the fans missing qualifying while drinking at their RVs. Be curious where you came up with this stat. Now grant you at Knoxville you could change it to "half the fans are still at Dingus Lounge drinking" and be correct but at Pevely WoO the week before the stands were full for qualifying.

Speaking of time trials and boring, watching qualifying at a daytime mile dirt race, with no moisture left in it, and 360ci overweight 100" cars. No thanks and I like dirt champ cars.

As for my opinion on all qualifying I'll use my race friend from Pennsylvania line, "I ain't paying until they start praying".
Last edited by opnwhlmnd; 8/11/24 at 2:49 PM. Reason: Too harsh for today's world.

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, TBONE, tirespinner
8/12/24, 7:03 AM   #4
Hubie48

I am torn on the issue. When there are large numbers of cars for the supporting classes it can lead to a very long show. Long shows puts you in peril for weather..... Group qualifying is kind of a whirlwind event where you really don't know what is going on. Most tracks overall have weak PA systems or announcers miss with the timing as the car roars past the speakers and the audio is lost.

Single Car qualifying does have it's charm, if only the fact that is how it's always been done.

I want to mention again what a great job the track crews did this year for the Sprint Week events. Terre Haute especially...... that was just awesome effort!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, rimrider69, tirespinner
8/12/24, 8:09 AM   #5
The Old Coyote

One thing I do like about Silver Crown single car qualifying is using the inverse order of practice times as the qualifying order.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Springfield time trials