IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How About That Struggling JG
8/25/24, 2:37 PM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

It absolutely floors me that one would say JG is struggling. Had a person said it 2 months ago, one thing bc he was in a lil slump, but to keep saying it? To even write about it in a column talking about his win on Thursday and his win on Saturday but mention not once but twice in 3 days that he's struggling? The guy would have come in being the most recent USAC Sprint winner had it not been for a rainout at Bloomington as JG won at Haubstadt which would have generally been the final night of Sprint Week. Then he completely sweeps the Silver Crown race at Springfield. Then he comes into Kokomo and wins 2 out of 3 nights and taking 3rd on the other night having to adapt and run different lines bc what he prefers of the high line wasn't the fastest...but he's struggling? All Time winningest USAC driver in Kokomo history but hes struggling? All time winningest driver in Smackdown history but he's struggling? Most Smackdown titles in Smackdown history but he's struggling? More wins right now then he did at this time last year and he won the Sprint Championship in 2023 and he's struggling? 2nd most wins in the 2024 Sprint season behind Seavey who is going to set a new record soon (not if, when), but he's struggling? 205 points seperate 3-8 in the standings but he is struggling? Drove around the track last night the wrong direction saluting the fans and waiving to the fans and beatin the h*ll out of his side panel with his left hand and arm in pure adrenaline and excitement and emotion, wow was he pumped up, that was so awesome to see, but he's struggling? And if you think JG cant run the top, then clearly you have never been to Kokomo, watched streaming all the way through a race, or forgot to put your glasses on bc JG has banged the turn 4 wall with his right rear more times in his career then there was drivers on Thursday night!!

Thank you Justin Grant for driving around, revving up the engine, slapping your hand on the side panel, way to show your emotions and heart and excitement and adrenaline!! That was awesome to see you do that and for the fans!!

You don't like JG, that's your choice. Find something realistic and true to say instead of he's struggling bc he got taken out in some wrecks and didnt finish inside the top 20 during this race and that race and that race. Pulled off bc of engine issues bc he's a smart driver instead of trying to get 19th place, who cares. Big deal, top 20 dont win races, #1 wins the race.

Mad bc a specific driver still can't win at Kokomo, fine, don't say the track was terrible or was just okay when you wasnt even there and when Kokomo is one of if not the best 1/4 mile tracks in the entire nation, much less the state.

Oh that's right, streaming shows everything doesn't it? Streaming shows track conditions and what the weather does to a track on off nights and how much work track workers put into the track all year long when a race isn't happening doesn't it? Streaming shows what one of the best track prep operators in the nation does during the week working on the track when noone is around doesn't it? You know what streaming did do, it allowed several hundred people to stay at home or sit at their campers and watch the race on a flat-screen and not pay gate price or any consessions prices. One camper alone had over 20 people watching streaming on their flat-screen all weekend instead of going inside. But that and alot of people being fed up with USAC has nothing to do with the big holes in the crowd that could be seen from the backstretch. Must have been the weather and the construction on the interstate??? Some people need to go look in the mirror and get real with themselves and then try and get real with current life.

Track was awesome, car counts was awesome, karaoke and the Flying Toasters was awesome, outstanding amount of money raised for charities throughout the weekend, kudos and great job to all who pitched in or participated in that aspect.

Got to hang out with JG Thursday and talk and have a beer, KT and Robert on Friday and have a beer, say hello to Kyle and Jake a few times...was a game changer for King of the Hill to be 3 laps instead of 2. Most the passing happened on that 3rd lap. King of the Hill was probably the best I've seen at Smackdown. One guy Friday night from PA said man our tracks and racing is awesome but I've never been to anything quite like this, this place is absolutely crazy and people everywhere and a concert, man this is awesome!!

Felt bad for KT, he was gone last night if he wouldn't have lost his powerplant. As much as I love JG, KT was gone just that simple. Loved his line though "This **** Ain't Fair"...no KT its not fair when rules aren't followed or played by then people who do follow the rules and play by the rules lose their engine on their way to $50K...bad luck for Kyle most the weekend too, felt bad for him. Robert did well, that was a plus. Cottle did well the last 2 nights. Few more local type guys did well in Max Adams and Brayden Clark, good job for them guys along with the legendary 57 Hazen machine and baby Jack.

I can't say exactly what it was bc it's not allowed on here but if you was there you know exactly what I'm talking about, the guy running side to side across the backstretch bleachers with "the flag" that was absolutely priceless and 90+% of the bleachers was cheering which made it even better!! The section doing what they do for Kyle up top, we love it!!

The new introduction in the infield, I personally liked the old way better of drivers walking the bottoms of the bleachers choosing their own individual music, but the new idea was kool for fans and especially the younger generations who have never been on the track or that close to the drivers getting high fives and fist bumps. You only see that too at The Kokomo Sprint Car Smackdown!!

As several have said and wished, and even the ones who have stopped coming bc of it, this show could happen and still be just as great without USAC, probably better. Maybe that wish will come true next season!! Can always hope!!

All in all, what a great week and awesome Smackdown!! Huge huge thank yous to The O'Connor Family, all the employees, volunteers, teams, drivers, and fans for an amazing week!!!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 8/25/24 at 3:00 PM.

8/25/24, 5:17 PM   #2
reeserx

I’m the biggest JG fan you could ever meet, I watched this kid drive a beat up Jeff walker house car getting his feet wet at Kokomo to standing by the pit fence talking to him every Sunday when he drove for Baldwin, to helping him scrape mud of the hery 40. I’m definitely a JG fan, but he was definitely struggling this year in every division until recently. He’s gettin hot at the right time which is good. He’s the king of Kokomo and it shows, pure dominance all weekend

4 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, flagboy55, progressive22, Rpracing1
8/25/24, 8:39 PM   #3
The55

When a driver sets as high a bar as Grant has the last few years, then yes he is struggling. It is relative,sure, but it’s a tough year for him in points, not even top 5. Don’t take the “struggling” as an insult, it is just a testament to how good and consistent he and the team have been.
Last edited by The55; 8/25/24 at 8:40 PM.

8/25/24, 9:36 PM   #4
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by The55 View Post
When a driver sets as high a bar as Grant has the last few years, then yes he is struggling. It is relative,sure, but it’s a tough year for him in points, not even top 5. Don’t take the “struggling” as an insult, it is just a testament to how good and consistent he and the team have been.
I sure the h*ll am not insulted, I just think its sad to say things that aren't true about a person who races clean and doesnt feed right rears to people to get his way up front. I'm sure JG isn't insulted either, he's use to it. We sat there Thursday night laughing about how much of a fool a person is to use the word struggling. So many people need to look up definitions in the dictionary. 2nd most wins in 2024 behind a record setting Seavey. That is not struggling. Points don't mean everything. He's got more wins right now then he did at this point in any of his championship title years. How is that struggling lmfao. He had a tough stretch earlier in the year so he's currently struggling? Lmfao wow...the dude has won 3/5 of the last Sprint tour races...did the same thing at the beginning of the year. How is that struggling lmfao. What a joke. Guy has a bad stretch in between great stretches but he's struggling, smfh!!!!

You know who is struggling??? The one who can't win at Kokomo!!!! Talk about that, how he can't win at Kokomo bc its the truth!! Oh he's 2nd in points though right? Oh he was caught cheating and breaking rules and nothing was done about it nor was it ever addressed, just swept under the big rug lmfao. Talk about that bc it's the truth. Talk about how there was so many empty seats all 3 nights bc of streaming and the sanctioning body that so many people are sick of. Not about how a person is struggling when their not. A slump earlier in the year is not a current struggle.

Oh and may I add...the entire Smackdown was ALL ABB NIGHTS!!!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 8/25/24 at 10:07 PM.

1 member likes this post: bighd0522
8/25/24, 10:38 PM   #5
Kart#51

Asking for a friend.

Are you a Political Action Committee member trying to rewrite the definition of struggling in Websters? If you need a donation to support your cause just put a jar in his T-shirt trailer or ask him to donate his winnings from Saturday.

Not sure what scribe hit your trigger about the word struggling but you sound butt hurt. If so, Im going to prescribe you a tube of Prep H. You can pick it up at the nearest CVS or Walgreens. It works in 2-3 days. If issues persist please consult your physician.

Lastly, the really perspective is this, If Steve Kinser was having this type of year he would be the first to say he was struggling, which would be the proper usage of the word.

8/26/24, 10:44 AM   #6
Re: How About That Struggling JG
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

I struggled to get through the whole post in one read

8/26/24, 1:13 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Love JG But being honest, was one of those skeptical of him making a Usac Championship. let alone two in a row. Seemed he always had a segment of a season things went awry.

Now he's Stanbrough, Briscoe an DD caliber (Meaning he can win at about any track he's on) and when the team and car match that caliber. Championships and a lot of wins follow.

I hate to say it but for a team to compete at that level, You have to have at least one person fully committed to that car. Having all the parts ordered, Tearing down and checking the car as often as possible. testing the bars and shocks, checking the rims for cracks etc. etc. If you want to go even further, it includes the hauler working condition, stocking etc.

Congrats JG and team, You deserve it!
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/26/24 at 1:14 PM.

8/26/24, 2:14 PM   #8
mlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Love JG But being honest, was one of those skeptical of him making a Usac Championship. let alone two in a row. Seemed he always had a segment of a season things went awry.

Now he's Stanbrough, Briscoe an DD caliber (Meaning he can win at about any track he's on) and when the team and car match that caliber. Championships and a lot of wins follow.

I hate to say it but for a team to compete at that level, You have to have at least one person fully committed to that car. Having all the parts ordered, Tearing down and checking the car as often as possible. testing the bars and shocks, checking the rims for cracks etc. etc. If you want to go even further, it includes the hauler working condition, stocking etc.

Congrats JG and team, You deserve it!
So Jeff Walker isn’t fully committed to that car? Not much on a race team he hasn’t done before. I always thought Jeff was fully committed with anything he did.

8/26/24, 2:41 PM   #9
The55

Perhaps calm down a bit. No idea why this has caused you to get so worked up. Perhaps you would feel better if it was said Grant has been very inconsistent this year.

8/26/24, 3:26 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
So Jeff Walker isn’t fully committed to that car? Not much on a race team he hasn’t done before. I always thought Jeff was fully committed with anything he did.

Where in Gods green earth did I say that?

It was more of he's one of the reasons the teams so good observation. Same with Hummel on Bacon etc. etc. The car has the best and is maintained the best and of course, Setup among the best.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/26/24 at 3:33 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How About That Struggling JG