IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It’s back!
9/23/24, 12:02 AM   #31
Re: It’s back!
jdull99

How wide were the rear tires on the Mods, back when they ran as part of the 4 crown? Was that a more limited car count? Idr
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

9/23/24, 7:54 AM   #32

First off I was not there, had to watch on Flo.

Yes the dust was bad. I thought I was watching a New York dirt track. Sorry but most of the ss races are dust bowls. Track wise.... was pretty decent for a slick track. Passing until the final SC feature. To me it looked like a Late Model track. So I was surprised the racing was decent. Forget the drought, forget the sun. The current version of the track is very choppy when wet. With the speeds that they turn, do you went heavy and rough, or slick and smooth? Currently that seems to be the only 2 options.

Now I was impressed with the crowd. Then add in the great car counts, almost makes me wonder if this thing should turn into a 3 day show?

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/23/24, 10:44 AM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It's what it's become. Everything there is better and nicer than it was under Earl. EXCEPT THE TRACK.

Todays generation will never see the NO LIFT CUSHION POUNDING Winged racing I seen in the 80s-early 2000s It made people hold their breath and jump up to see the bomb sliders. Not only that. guys like Haud would go up and grab that little bit of cushion off of four and two to straighten em out and send em down the straight. Just mind blowing speed.

They sometimes qualify close to them speeds. but the racing I think is probably two seconds slower per lap throughout the night.

Im sorry, when a driver (Not Ballou} says I'd of run the wall, BUT YOU CAN'T SEE THE WALL unless your the leader. Somethings bad wrong.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/23/24 at 10:46 AM.

9/23/24, 11:26 AM   #34
flagboy55

A lot to unpack here from my favorite event. I’m going to throw a couple quick points out as break is almost over. I’ve been trying to be a little less critical, but some things you just can’t defend. The dust storm was terrible. A track that has a marquee that says World’s Greatest Dirt Track, should be ashamed. I too have been going to Eldora for decades and I can’t remember it being worse. The sad part is they tried to give us what we wanted. The USAC Sprint feature was going to be first, instead we couldn’t see it. The track rework had to be done or we would’ve gotten 3 and a half features of the last half of the big car race. Many of you have made valid points on this thread, perhaps none more accurate than 76’s point about 2 mini tractors and pickup with a water tote. Seems a track that is bold enough to take on the aforementioned moniker, would have a more suitable fleet. That’s it for now

2 members like this post: PIT CART, TQ97
9/23/24, 12:03 PM   #35
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
A lot to unpack here from my favorite event. I’m going to throw a couple quick points out as break is almost over. I’ve been trying to be a little less critical, but some things you just can’t defend. The dust storm was terrible. A track that has a marquee that says World’s Greatest Dirt Track, should be ashamed. I too have been going to Eldora for decades and I can’t remember it being worse. The sad part is they tried to give us what we wanted. The USAC Sprint feature was going to be first, instead we couldn’t see it. The track rework had to be done or we would’ve gotten 3 and a half features of the last half of the big car race. Many of you have made valid points on this thread, perhaps none more accurate than 76’s point about 2 mini tractors and pickup with a water tote. Seems a track that is bold enough to take on the aforementioned moniker, would have a more suitable fleet. That’s it for now
I doubt we will ever agree on much, except the track conditions Saturday. And the lack of proper equipment.

Chuck makes a great point and kudos to Tony for all of the investment into the physical plant. He and his staff have done a great job in that regard. And kudos to Eldora for weathering COVID and coming back like they did, many small businesses got crushed including race tracks.

Gotta disagree to an extent about the track re-work, it should never have been done from top to bottom. Top 1/3 might have been enough, and perhaps only in the corners. With what they did it was going to continue to peel off and throw dust until it got cleaned off.

TV didn't do Saturday justice as to how bad it really was. When you can win the USAC sprint B main by never sliding your car, that's an indication of a bad track. I've never heard so much throttle feathering at Eldora as I did Saturday.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART
9/23/24, 1:00 PM   #36
Rpracing1

I had a 20-year-old relative from Columbus Ohio there for his first time with GF and her dad. Left at midnight. They won't return he told me. Not how you make fans unfortunately.
Last edited by Rpracing1; 9/23/24 at 1:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: Dirtfan
9/23/24, 2:52 PM   #37
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
I had a 20-year-old relative from Columbus Ohio there for his first time with GF and her dad. Left at midnight. They won't return he told me. Not how you make fans unfortunately.

Not gonna grow the fan base that way😳.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It’s back!