IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New guy looking for some advice!
9/28/24, 2:25 PM   #21
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

I raced 360s and 410s, on a budget with limited help. Go 600 racing. The amount of work and time required for the big cars if you don't have a solid background and support.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
9/30/24, 11:35 AM   #22
Re: New guy looking for some advice!
Mikey2274

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
There is one closer to Indiana too:

https://www.sippelracin.com/index.html
I'm going to look into this school. My younger brother lives about an hour away from both of those tracks and it seems like a good place to pick up a ton of knowledge.

10/2/24, 7:28 PM   #23
HDbill

I think that you said that you went to one or two tracks all season. What do they race at the tracks closest to you? (great idea from whoever suggested it already). Travel can be a killer. I also "like" the rental ride that was suggested. But there are 4 or 5 planets between racing go karts and sprint cars. Carts are probably the best fun for the dollar, simply because of the simplicity and lack of suspension. The tire bill is a little easier to swallow also. Ancient quote "speed is expensive; how much do you want to spend?" Maintenance also gets involved. The advice to race with a team for an entire season is probably the best advice; if you will actually listen and learn and maybe be allowed to pick up wrenches and do things that help. Nobody is fast by accident. When you see a car win a race, believe me they earned it 20 times over and they have put in the time to learn what works, what needs a ton of attention so that it doesn't fail 3 laps before the checker, etc etc. You will have a chance to learn how stagger, tire pressure, wheel offsets, adnauseum, affect the car responds to your input. So, bottom line? Do the rent a ride just for the experience. And think hard about the racers that you watched this year, Maybe there is a chance to be on that crew for a full season? If you pick anything more than a go Kart you are going to need help with the car keeping it ready to go back to the trace. Pick the smallest race car that you can fit in to start and make sure you have dependable help if you want trace anything that needs a trailer. Good luck.

10/3/24, 3:40 PM   #24
Mikey2274

So it looks like I am travelling up to Wisconsin this weekend to buy a Bailey Lightning sprint with a freshly rebuilt 1000cc motor out of a GSXR with guhl alcohol injection. 4 new dual adjustable Super Shocks. It has 3 front wings, 2 rear wings, 3 sets of wheels with tires, and all kinds of assorted odds and ends. The guy is moving up to 305 Race Saver class and he wants to liquidate. He is offering me everything I need, and then some, to go racing. I am super excited about it! I plan on racing in the MMSA, with some occasional Lightning spint races thrown in here and there. Now....to find a trailer to bring it all home! LOL!

3 members like this post: jdull99, jonboat15, Russ
10/3/24, 4:17 PM   #25
jonboat15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2274 View Post
So it looks like I am travelling up to Wisconsin this weekend to buy a Bailey Lightning sprint with a freshly rebuilt 1000cc motor out of a GSXR with guhl alcohol injection. 4 new dual adjustable Super Shocks. It has 3 front wings, 2 rear wings, 3 sets of wheels with tires, and all kinds of assorted odds and ends. The guy is moving up to 305 Race Saver class and he wants to liquidate. He is offering me everything I need, and then some, to go racing. I am super excited about it! I plan on racing in the MMSA, with some occasional Lightning spint races thrown in here and there. Now....to find a trailer to bring it all home! LOL!
Congrats! Have fun, it's an experience you won't forget.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New guy looking for some advice!