IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Asteroids and Half Miles
10/9/24, 2:44 PM   #1
Asteroids and Half Miles
flagboy55

If you search what made the dinosaur extinct, you’ll find a theory about an asteroid hitting the earth as a possible cause to their elimination. Thankfully, I haven’t heard anything about an asteroid heading our way anytime soon, but it’s starting to look like half mile tracks could be going the way of the Triceratops. I saw it mentioned before last night, but if you watched the High Limit show from I-70 you heard about the plan’s to shorten yet another big track. A couple other recent occurrence’s of this nature that come to mind is Hartford Michigan, and Joliet Illinois, two big tracks that were cut down to smaller ovals. I’m old enough to remember when the United States Auto Club only ran half miles or bigger. I don’t remember exactly when they started running smaller tracks, but I thought it was a cool change of pace on the bullrings, a different style of racing. But now I find myself longing for the big tracks again after watching mostly something smaller than a half for a long time now. I’m not saying I have anything against the smaller tracks, I love ‘em, just miss that speed sometimes. I know everyone has excuses why we can’t run a big track, but in actuality, motor’s blow and people crash on all size race tracks. And racing ain’t cheap, regardless. I don’t know about you, but unlike T-Rex, I’m going to miss the big tracks if they leave

3 members like this post: jdull99, nathans1012, oppweld
10/9/24, 4:28 PM   #2
Re: Asteroids and Half Miles
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Don't know where I read it or seen it. Someone said USAC used to not run under half miles and the 305 limit was more than adequate because you didn't need a giant gear to get off the corner and didn't turn 9000 save maybe at the end of the straights. Used to hear former car owners that said regular trips to the junkyard kept them in motors. they'd just swap the cam intake and headers.

Me, I like speed. Nothing like a sprint car breathing fire. That short track slick stuff gets old real quick. I don't mind it if theres more than one groove. But too often it's all catfish.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Asteroids and Half Miles