IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Asteroids and Half Miles
10/13/24, 12:40 AM   #31
Re: Asteroids and Half Miles
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Exactly! You were way easier on him than I would’ve been but I just chalked it up to him being drunk
I’m guessing neither of you watched the documentary about dirt racing where he said racing without a wing isn’t worth it??? Then Sweet comes on and says the same thing. Please don’t turn this thread into another how great Larson is thread. Please.

10/13/24, 8:27 AM   #32
Re: Asteroids and Half Miles
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Back when Smoke still had a non wing team, USAC raced Terre Haute and had a low car count. Smoke said get the backup out. I'll race it.
Afterwards he said it's the stupidest thing he's ever done.

I took it as he meant it. That to do it. You gotta be committed to it and now that he was beyond that (Nascar, Winged racing at that time) It was just not worth the risk.

Nevermind that Larson, Smoke, Sweet, Newman, Briscoe, Gordon etc honed their skill non winged for several years before getting the backing to move on. Not just on half miles. But Miles.

Nascar's been full of USAC Champions for decades now. Shame Indycar can't figure it out.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 10/13/24 at 8:28 AM.

3 members like this post: dirtybob29, flagboy55, mc/rider
10/13/24, 5:45 PM   #33
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
After further thought, I'll answer some of my own question...I remember reading that ISW was not part of the USAC schedule; maybe til later in those years posted? (or right after?). &, could it be said the CRA sprint car series was actually more popular in those years than it is now? Also, were there more weekly tracks running traditional sprints back then?
There were a LOT of factors in play in the middle 80’s. The WoO was growing at an extremely rapid rate…big fields, big money and big crowds. Many local tracks were switching from non-winged to winged sprint cars. USAC was struggling to attract new owners and drivers and they polled their owners, drivers and promoters to see what they wanted. It was ultimately decided that the track promoter could decide whether their race (dirt only) would be winged or non-winged.

ISW was INITIALLY (IF I remember correctly) 3 races, Bloomington, LPS and Kokomo. It was unsanctioned. Paragon was added shortly after, but it would be about 8 years or so before USAC would begin sanctioning ISW.

CRA was arguably NEARLY USAC’s equal, and in the middle 80’s maybe even more prominent than USAC. HOWEVER, they too began to struggle and the loss of Ascot in 1990 was a blow that they couldn’t recover from. The formation of the SCRA in 1993 extended their run, until they were merged with USAC. The races in the Midwest by the CRA/SCRA were some of the best races in history IMO. Some were co-sanctioned by USAC, some weren’t, but they almost all pulled huge fields.

During the 80’s, to the best of my recollection, the tracks running sprint cars weekly in IN were Bloomington, Warsaw (Friday’s) Paragon, LPS, Lawrenceburg(Saturday’s) Tri-State and Kokomo(Sundays). At various times through the 80’s they ran winged shows weekly and non winged.

Not sure if this answers you question jdull99, but hopefully it gives you some background

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Asteroids and Half Miles