IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How Far is Too Far
10/14/24, 9:44 AM   #11
Scott Daloisio

When I am on the road announcing a night race, I usually set the limit of 250 or less and I am driving home. That is with one exception, the Mohave Valley Raceway in Arizona. It is about 231 miles. If I have someone with me, I drive home from there. Alone, no way. 140 miles of that trip is through the desert. With the exception of a couple rest stops and gas stations, there is nothing and that includes lights. Great desert landscapes in the daylight, but on a moonless night, it is like driving in a dark tunnel. Not the place to be driving if you are tired. I announced the USAC/CRA there this past Saturday, got about four hours sleep at the hotel and left for home at 4:45 AM. Still drove about halfway through it in the dark but being rested, it was fine. If I have someone with me after a race there, I make that drive, but never alone. These days in California where I live ( about 35 miles east of Los Angeles) there are only three oval tracks within 100 miles of my home. Perris, Irwindale and the Orange Show Speedway.
Last edited by Scott Daloisio; 10/14/24 at 9:47 AM.

5 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, ronmil, Speedmax3, WinglessLovers
10/14/24, 10:48 AM   #12
JJMooney

25 years ago my weekly routine was:

FRIDAY - Drive from St Louis to Gas City (5 hours one way). Stay over in Indy.
SATURDAY – 16th Street or Putnamville. Sometimes both! Then drive back to St Louis (3-4 hours). I was often home by 3-4am.
SUNDAY – Get up and drive to Haubstadt (2.5 hours). See the show there then drive home (2.5 hours). Get a few hours sleep and back to work Monday morning fresh as a daisy.

I loved every minute of it, but I just can’t do that anymore. These days, I’m perfectly content on going to one, maybe two, special shows per month. That’s it. If I have to drive more than couple hours, I’ll splurge for a hotel.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy
10/14/24, 12:28 PM   #13
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Lawrenceburg is seven plus hours round trip.
I never stay over.
I’m 85 and drive by myself. That’s why I said it was too far.
I once drove the 5 hours plus to Eldora
Saw the 4 Crown and drove back to Evansville. Earlene was with me. We got home at after 7:00am
Since she’s in rehab in a nursing home I’m not about to make the trip to Lawrenceburg by myself.

4 members like this post: Grocery Guy, jdull99, mc/rider, TQ29m
10/14/24, 12:32 PM   #14
TQ29m

Only if I have a race car to drive, and that's not likely anymore, at 87.

1 member likes this post: Grocery Guy
10/14/24, 3:48 PM   #15
Re: How Far is Too Far
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I never stay over.
Saw the 4 Crown and drove back to Evansville. Earlene was with me. We got home at after 7:00am
Since she’s in rehab in a nursing home I’m not about to make the trip to Lawrenceburg by myself.
God Bless you Ron, you don't have to explain yourself to anybody.

2 members like this post: mc/rider, TQ29m
10/14/24, 4:54 PM   #16
Re: How Far is Too Far
beaner

Had a 4 hr. drive home this year for the longest and that really is too much. The 2-2.5 hr is a better sweet spot for max time or look to tie in a hotel these days. When possible, I like to hit the pits after the races so the shorter drive allows for that also. Always sad at end of the racing season but may still have Montpelier in the crosshairs for 1 more.

10/14/24, 5:05 PM   #17
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I never stay over.
That's amazing Ron. I want to meet you someday next year. I wanna be like you! Keep it up,...you're an inspiration!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How Far is Too Far