others(write in) 3 30.00%
dont go to college 2 20.00%
other profession(write in) 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > college help
2/9/13, 8:43 PM   #11
Re: college help
D.L. 122

Thanks for all of the replies! Colin25 i have your sons number i will give him a call sometime. Thanks for the input I will definately look into an engeenering disciplined degree.

2/9/13, 11:23 PM   #12
racephoto1

Purdue or Rose Hulman. With either one of those schools on your sheepskin, with an engineering degree, you can do pretty much anything you want.

3 members like this post: D.L. 122, koolaid89, team3521
2/9/13, 11:37 PM   #13
sw1911

There is always Kettering fka General Motors Institute.

the fellow who owns http://www.roehrigengineering.com/

went there. https://www.kettering.edu/me It is a coop program.

2/10/13, 1:32 AM   #14
Hotshoe65s

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Purdue or Rose Hulman. With either one of those schools on your sheepskin, with an engineering degree, you can do pretty much anything you want.
I'd recommend rose hulman, but I'm a little biased.
They have been rated #1mechanical engineering school in the country for 14 years in a row. The work load is extremely tough, but that's what makes them a well respected school. They also have some cool programs like formula SAE (racing deal) that you can join and it will teach you a lot about chassis design.

That would probably be your best bet to get a job in Motorsports. Teams want engineers. And of you decide you don't want to work in Motorsports, being an engineer will help your personal racing program.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: D.L. 122
2/10/13, 2:18 AM   #15
SDHill89

My advice to you would be get a degree that gives you options, not one that is only good for your first choice of careers. Your first choice in careers might not work out how you'd like it to so having options gives you a backup plan. My other advice is, once you're in college, go to class. It's really tempting and easy to skip class but from personal experience going to class makes a difference. Good luck and I graduated college less than a year ago so if you have any questions about college in general feel free to PM me.

2 members like this post: D.L. 122, wvwildthg
2/10/13, 10:55 AM   #16
mini27

I graduated from UNOH Oct 2012. You will learn alot of stuff about cars, some you will find very helpful some you will have 0 use for. while there i met some very smart people.
last week during the 24hr of daytona i seen students i graduated with on tv working on team sahlen prototype.
Unoh also places alot of students on NHRA teams and arca teams, i know several doing that and are living there deam job.
AS far as my education, im not the worlds best Student, i have a hard time focusing on home work and other school work, UNOH is almost fail proof, show up everyday do your hands on work and you pass.
you can get a business and others with you rmotorsports degree, if your advanced student and can stay focused do both while there.
I will agree with others, engineering will be helpful also, but i know some that degree and cant find a job.

The number 1 thing you must have is a class A CDL! with out that you will be waisting your time looking for a job in racing, dont care what degree you have. UNOH has CDL class, that where i got mine.
hope this helped, good luck

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
2/10/13, 12:31 PM   #17
darnall

I was also an advanced student, in a very small school with few advanced classes. We did have a math teacher who to this day remains the smartest man I have ever met. I had him 2 hours as a sophomore, 2 hours as a junior, and had him scheduled for Calc and Physics 2 hours as a senior. He would turn me loose on stuff way ahead of the rest of the class and challenge the hell outta me to find a way to apply it to my interest (motorsports). He helped me decide that mechanical engineering was my way into a motorsports job that paid enough that I could also play as a driver. This was back in 1990-91. 6 years later every NASCAR team had an engineer, as well as multiple on each Indycar team, F1 team, Indy lights, etc.

This teacher died in a farm accident 2 weeks into my senior year. The only replacement the school could find was a newly graduated basic math teacher. I actually taught my physics class the rest of the year because I was more qualified than her. She was horrible at calculus. I felt like I hadn't learned anything my senior year so even though I had already been accepted into Missouri Rolla (excellent engineering school) I was afraid I would be in over my head and went to a normal university thinking I could get caught back up then transfer.

Wrong!!!

I was bored outta my head. Only had to show up on test days and was still setting the curve in my math classes. Could not stand the fact that they were making me pay them to take fine arts credits and physical ed credits and literature credits when that had nothing to do with what I wanted to study. I decided to quit school and took a job that paid 30-40K per year. Great money for a 20 year old in 1993 right?

Fast forward 20 years...never went back to school..still in that salary range but married with a child. I am lucky enough to get to drive other peoples racecars off and on but that falls short of my life's aspirations.

I was on track to be kissing the bricks with the rest of the team while Hornish or Marco or BC was thanking me for the setup I gave them that let them run qualifying speeds on old tires. A freak twist of fate caused me to make a couple bad decisions regarding school and I wiped out any shot at that. Although I am very happy with my life, my family and everything we have been blessed with I still can't go one day without thinking "What if".

My advice to you would be....GO TO SCHOOL!!! Go to an engineering school. Take classes that make you work your butt off. Challenge yourself to finish in 4 years. (Most people with engineering degrees end up needing 5 plus years) Stay home and study on nights/weekends. Studying doesn't cost you a dime. If you need something to do unrelated to school find a local raceteam that will pay for your pitpass that you can help on the weekends. Be willing to live in poverty for a few years now. Baloney sandwiches and Kool Aid instead of beer and steak. Don't let a short term job opportunity take you away from school. 4 years of sacrifice now will sure make for a much cooler 60 years to finish your time on earth.

2/10/13, 12:46 PM   #18
Tony74

I’m a Purdue MET (mechanical engineering technology) grad. So I’m biased but engineering is for sure the way to go in your shoes. Once I learned about the school of technology it made for a perfect fit, it is more hands on and less theoretical i.e. you will have lab classes where you run a lath, mill, and weld also pour castings. Helps to make you very well rounded, Purdue West Lafayette also has several student groups that are involved with some type of motorsports. I know the IUPUI motorsports deal has very similar class to that of MET.
At my current company we are looking to hire an engineer …. It will be a Purdue MET grad if I have any say.

2/10/13, 3:27 PM   #19
D.L. 122

Thanks everyone! I am looking into several colleges for engineering related topics. Dad recommended nuclear engineering but hes a tad bit biased Also has anyone ever heard of Forsyth Technical Institute?

2/10/13, 4:46 PM   #20
Joe Kidd
Banned

I am not a big Purdue fan. But if your going for an engineering degree I would recommend Purdue. Most of the engineers I know come from Purdue that work in the automotive side.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > college help