IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need Driver with CDL--A
2/5/08, 7:36 PM   #11
Re: Need Driver with CDL--A
Wolfe-e

Mark is pretty well right about the cost. I have to renew my cdl next month and I have to get finger printed and all that for the Hazmat before that. Its a 30 to 90 day wait for that. I figure I'll have a couple of hundred bucks in it before I'm done. "And thats just to Renew my licence." Its got to be pretty much a pain in the backside just to keep up on everything but I will say that if you have a CDL and take care of it, you can almost always find a Job.

2/5/08, 7:43 PM   #12
Wolfe-e

Heck Hawker, sounds like your getting off cheaper than we are. My main complaint would be about just how much safer I feel with the new Homeland Security, thats what the finger printing is for. Awh foo----ie Mostly, I;d just like to know that all those Mexican Drivers that they just started letting deliver here will have the same set of rules we do......wanna bet on that one........

2/5/08, 9:00 PM   #13
tonyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbpreformance View Post
I have been driving heavy equipment (Fork lifts, tractors, box trucks, motor homes, etc) and pulling trailers since I turned 16 and have been looking into getting my CDL for some time and if you do not currently have one that means most likely you do not have a truck to take the test in and most likely go through some sort of truck driving school. All the truck driving schools that I have found are around 3k-6k for a 6 week program.

If anyone knows of a cheaper way to get one let me know I am more then interested
smb, I know Missouri is a drive, but....Don's Towing in Sedalia, MO will get you a class A CDL in 1 day - $400. A guy in my shop did just that, last year, because he wanted an A. He drove a day cab Ford tractor with an Auotshift transmission pulling a 35' flatbed, provided by Don's Towing. I guarantee you, if HE passed it...you can too! :thumb I was lucky & grandfathered in when I had the chance in '91, so I can't tell you about the actual test, other than repeat what guys have told me....pre-trip is very important, just like Hawker said!

2/6/08, 7:20 PM   #14
Sprintcarfanatic

You'd better do the air test also. Automatic fail if not done. Here in Ohio you have to do the straight line back then go into the off line back then the instructor tells you that you will do either the parallel park or the 90 degree alley back.

2/8/08, 12:19 AM   #15
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Stop by your Highway Patrol or DOT office in the area,they should have for the asking, a CDL Manule that will explain everything that is required to obtain your Permit/Licence to include written testing,Pre-trip inspection,Driving test in Tractor Trailer...Hope this helps..good luck...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need Driver with CDL--A