IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lloyd Ruby 1960-1969--a tribute
12/29/11, 7:45 PM   #11
Re: Lloyd Ruby 1960-1969--a tribute
TQ29m

I was so close that day, I almost felt like I was in the way, best seats we'd ever had, seemed like we weren't more than 3 or 4 rows up, from Lloyd's pit, but, wasn't anything I could do, except remember what happened. That's hard to take, for anyone! Bob!

12/30/11, 10:00 AM   #12
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdirtfan View Post
Very nicely done, Brian. Geez those Indy roadsters were beautiful machines, weren't they? Or is it just my generation (born in '43) that thinks so? I have to admit to one surprise, though. I did not remember the rear engined cars running on dirt. Can you or anyone else elaborate? Thanks, and keep up the good work.
Can't remember if it was '67 or '68 but LLoyd did run the Gene White Mongoose on dirt a couple of times that year. The first was either Nazareth (or Syracuse??) with the turbo-Offy. He made the show and, if I remember correctly, was running 4th at one point but didn't finish the race. He also tried to make the show at the Hoosier 100 that year with the DOHC Ford in it but, failed to qualify...

12/31/11, 10:24 PM   #13
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Can't remember if it was '67 or '68 but LLoyd did run the Gene White Mongoose on dirt a couple of times that year. The first was either Nazareth (or Syracuse??) with the turbo-Offy. He made the show and, if I remember correctly, was running 4th at one point but didn't finish the race. He also tried to make the show at the Hoosier 100 that year with the DOHC Ford in it but, failed to qualify...
I believe he also tried to qualify at DuQuoin that year.

---------- Post added at 8:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian26 View Post
Lloyd, Al Unser from what I hear and mayyyybe AJ tried to run their rear engine cars on dirt just as a trial deal. Lloyd I think tried to qualify for the Hoosier 100 . Didn't work, but he tried.

---------- Post added at 2:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:07 AM ----------

Lloyd was known more for losing out in the '69 race. But down here he felt he had a better shot at the '66 show instead. Wichita Falls is just 73 miles from me , and I talk to some of those that knew him day to day.

Here's the crazy part- you guys probably know more about Lloyds career than we do down here! He NEVER bragged about what he did, or tooted his own horn. A top-notch class act for sure, but hard to know. Always drew a crowd.
In 1966, Lloyd was the only American born driver to lead the race; looked like he was on the way to the win but the cam tower began leaking oil. He was, and still is, one of my all time favorites.

12/31/11, 11:20 PM   #14
Johnhunt

Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasdirtfan View Post
Very nicely done, Brian. Geez those Indy roadsters were beautiful machines, weren't they? Or is it just my generation (born in '43) that thinks so? I have to admit to one surprise, though. I did not remember the rear engined cars running on dirt. Can you or anyone else elaborate? Thanks, and keep up the good work.
Nope. I'm 31 and think the roadsters are magnificent!

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lloyd Ruby 1960-1969--a tribute