Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ARCA-Dakoda Armstrong
9/20/09, 2:05 PM   #11
Re: ARCA-Dakoda Armstrong
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmaniac View Post
No jealousy here
Re-read your comments about Kevin Swindell,Brad Loyet and now Dakoda Armstrong and re-think this position.

If I am to take your latest screed seriously, you are advocating for Dave Darland (age 43), Jerry Coons Jr (age 37), Jon Stanbrough (42 in October), Tracy Hines (there and back - age 37) as better candidates for a developmental program than high school senior Dakoda Armstrong.
You would also begrudge Dakoda the chance to run ARCA so Brad Sweet can (Brad is already racing ARCA events).
Better yet, you figure Levi Jones is more deserving (consider how many midget races he has been asked to run since TSR shut him down).
Dominating success in non-wing sprint cars on dirt alone does not guarantee stock car success or Brad Noffsinger would be in the chase this year.

Who's left from that list?

Cole Whitt: an extremely underfunded, but hard working kid who would surely capture the eyes of the developmental gurus at the higher levels if only his funding were better? That doesn't sound like an accurate description of his program to me. I believe he will be moving on eventually anyway. He seems to have everything needed to be a success in professional pavement racing. Driving talent, youth, funding and a great personality.

Brad Kuhn.

The real reason you rag on all of the other up and coming midget guys.
I don't know if you're a relative or just a fan, but you are not nearly as objective as you claim. Although Devin has the screenname, you are the #1 Brad Kuhn fan in my book.
Brad is starting to get to the age (28 in October) where his chances for success at any level higher than the one he is at are declining rapidly. Your posts suggest bitterness about that and if there is, I don't blame Brad for that. Short of winning some of the major titles (USAC, Chili Bowl, Belleville etc.) there isn't much more for him to accomplish in midgets. He has done enough to prove that he has special talent. If he is to have any chance at all of advancement, he is going to have to show a car owner how that talent will carry over into driving long events on pavement. I am surprised that he isn't a Silver Crown regular. I think that would help.

Now, if I may get back on topic. Congratulations to Dakoda Armstrong for his strong finish at Salem. One of only three cars left on the lead lap!

Looking at the results, I also see ex-midget competitor Tom Hessert notched an 8th place finish.

2 members like this post: 1956offy, AustinSprinter
9/20/09, 2:20 PM   #12
Heromaker

Who's left from that list?

Cole Whitt: an extremely underfunded, but hard working kid who would surely capture the eyes of the developmental gurus at the higher levels if only his funding were better? That doesn't sound like an accurate description of his program to me. I believe he will be moving on eventually anyway. He seems to have everything needed to be a success in professional pavement racing. Driving talent, youth, funding and a great personality.

Are you serious!!!!!!! That is an oxymoron if I have ever heard one!!!!!

9/20/09, 2:21 PM   #13
Lauren Besecker

9/20/09, 2:48 PM   #14
midgetmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Besecker View Post
Hey, you might be right. However, some of those drivers have gone "head to head" with Dakoda so to speak in stock car "situations" in the past...and um, they didn't out perform him. Of course, you would have no way of knowing that b/c it wasn't posted on any message boards....

Lauren

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

OH...and I should also mention...be it this post or the 23847239827384829374 other posts that discredit any good runs drivers have based on "startiing position"....

Um, **NEWSFLASH***drivers qualify to get their cars close to the front.

Kthanksbye.
Um ,I know some of these drivers have broke or been within a .10th of existing stock car track records and have been told "we would love to put you in a car but how much $ do you have". Although qualifying is apart of racing , it does not necessarily make one a good driver.

9/20/09, 3:01 PM   #15
Elliottbrand.Com

I was at the race and Dakoda put on quite a show! Congrats Dakoda!

The jealousy and complete lack of facts in here sure can be amazing sometimes. Just think what some of you could accomplish if you spent the time and effort you waste attempting to cut drivers down, towards building yourself or favorite driver up?

5 members like this post: AustinSprinter, buck2, dirtnonwingfan, PJ Wright, tjtomthumb
9/20/09, 4:08 PM   #16
Kuhn74

I usually lurk from a far distance, but this one I just couldn't.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Brad Kuhn.

The real reason you rag on all of the other up and coming midget guys.
I don't know if you're a relative or just a fan, but you are not nearly as objective as you claim. Although Devin has the screenname, you are the #1 Brad Kuhn fan in my book.
Brad is starting to get to the age (28 in October) where his chances for success at any level higher than the one he is at are declining rapidly. Your posts suggest bitterness about that and if there is, I don't blame Brad for that. Short of winning some of the major titles (USAC, Chili Bowl, Belleville etc.) there isn't much more for him to accomplish in midgets. He has done enough to prove that he has special talent. If he is to have any chance at all of advancement, he is going to have to show a car owner how that talent will carry over into driving long events on pavement. I am surprised that he isn't a Silver Crown regular. I think that would help.
Tom,

Where do you get off dragging me into a post that has nothing to do with me??? My name was never mentioned until you decided to throw it out there as your depiction of why you think this person is so negative. On a side not, just so you know how accurate your stats are, my birthday is not in October.

Back to my point.......how does this person going off on a tangent about what is or isn't true have anything to do with me? You suggest he is my biggest fan, but then go on to call me bitter........not him. Bitter about what Tom? Winning races and Championships? Bitter about driving for the best team going right now? Bitter about winning races for some of the biggest names in racing? I am not bitter Tom, I am blessed. The places I have been, the people I have met, the races I have won, the teams I have driven for.........I am truly blessed. So what if NASCAR isn't the end destination.

I know that you and I have never seen eye to eye in your position as assistant to the announcer/information gatherer at Angell Park, but that isn't really a reason to drag me into a disagreement you have with someone on a message board. Seriously Tom, how can you call me bitter or anything else based on some racing fans opinon about anything. If you want to call me something currently, call me pissed off. That is what I am, pissed off. At guys like you that, twist posts on message boards and drag drivers/owners/teams/crews into situations based on what a fan of theirs puts out there on some message board. If a supporter of mine comes on this board a posts something, that is great. But that doesn't mean that we share the same opinions or views about anything. Doesn't matter if that person is a fan/family member/spouse/whatever.

Sorry to all for this post being off topic (Dakoda), but that just pissed me off. On the topic of Dakoda, congrats for your accomplishment. Third place at Salem Speedway is good in stock car or a turtle race. Also a congrats to Kevin Besecker........he's been around coaching that kid for a long time.

Brad Kuhn

9/20/09, 4:12 PM   #17
smith19

cole witt is underfunded....................................... ..............................

9/20/09, 6:37 PM   #18
chadyracing

Congrats to Dakoda on the strong run. I'm glad he was able to stay away from Tim George Jr. At least Dakoda has talent to go along with the funding. Here's a question. What if the Armstrongs had decided to start their own team instead. What would your feelings be then. We are fortunate to have a family friend that has been involved with Kyle's racing since we started and he put together an ARCA car for Kyle to drive at Springfield and Du quoin on the dirt miles. Although the car is very good, it was done on a very small budget. Small compared to what ESR and Cunningham and the likes have. However, we're still talking significant dollars plus all of the race day expenses. This is 1 car with an engine that now has 3 races on it. It's not freshened after every race. There is no backup car. When you get put into the wall by someone like Tim George Jr. it's another big expense that puts the next race in jeopardy. How much do you think it would cost to put a whole "COMPETITIVE" team together. Financially, to me it's a no brain-er. If I had the money I'd do it for Kyle. People have been bringing funding to rides for decades. It's nothing new and it will go on. I would be lying if I wouldn't admit that I would love for Kyle to have an opportunity at one of those types of rides or that I'm a bit jealous of those that have the finances to do so. I don't, however despise those who can. I made the decisions that have lead to the level of income at which we live. Anyway, these teams need funding and if there's someone out there that can bring the cash to the table, it's just smart business for them.

Dan Chady
Last edited by chadyracing; 9/20/09 at 7:18 PM.

9/20/09, 8:35 PM   #19
NONASCRAP4ME

First off, congratulations to young Mr. Armstrong for his very respectable finish at Salem Speedway with the ARCA REMAX Series.

While the driver in question here might show flashes of brilliance at times, I don’t think he’s really any more talented than the next guy, or the next guy, or the next guy after that. With the driver name being totally irrelevant, money and established PR representation surpassed talent …. many a moon ago.

The question is, 1.) is it really “jealousy“ on a posters behalf, as in the word term as used herein? Or 2.) is it “reality“, as in some of us really see all of this for what it is?

Personally, I’m thinking its #2.

Remember folks …. Back in 2002 the world, via the Red Bull Driver search, told ALL of US that Scott Speed was the best open wheel driver in the USA. Hands down, this kid was the best, as we were told. Therefore they sent him over the pond to represent, US. The rest of the story, well, you know.

To save face afterwards, Red Bull that is, thought he was more suited for Tin Tops, thus he did a little ABC&T racing. He had a few good showings, and a truck win. Great, now show me more I say. And it’s not like he was driving someone’s under funded $hitboxes either. Just the opposite, the equipment he drove was ALL, top caliber, best of the best. A trained monkey would have had the same results in the equipment he was driving. In some cases, the trained monkey would have had better results. As for the rest of the ARCA story, well, you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ANaTaNYz20

Then, it was on to NASCRAP land, where he’s 35th in driver points. As for the rest of this story, well, you know how it‘ll end.

Old school hard work, determination, skill, and talent …. left the racing building many a moon ago. Now then money, well, it’s more prevalent in the racing building more than ever. Especially when it comes to NASCRAP developmental driver, programs.
Last edited by NONASCRAP4ME; 9/20/09 at 8:47 PM.

9/20/09, 9:24 PM   #20
wideopen24

Racing is all about money.... If your involved in racing in anyform you are goin to spend alot of it...Some people spend every thing they have on hobby stocks and bombers, some on sprint cars and midgets, and some are lucky enough to have what it takes for STOCKCAR Racing....My point is most poeple including I choose the highest form of racing they can "afford" and do it to the best of their ability...I put everything I have into my sprintcar knowing thats the farthest i will ever get... If the Armstrongs are able to put everything they have into a Stockcar ride then why not it is no different....Congrats to Dakota and everyone that gets to live there dream!!! a top 3 is good in anything at that level its great!!! Good Luck to you!

And as for Cole Whitt I dont know what his funding is like but.... I do know he is an amazing racecar driver and in my opinion the best thing going in open wheel racing today....Good luck to you buddy!!!

Landon Simon

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ARCA-Dakoda Armstrong