IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Firemen's Nats
9/3/24, 6:23 AM   #11
Re: Firemen's Nats
miledirt

I would love to see something like Badger in our area.
- where the average guy could put together a team at a fraction of what it costs to run the other series
- get a decent car count over time
- even if they qualify .5 sec off a top flight top series, racing could be good
Last edited by miledirt; 9/3/24 at 6:45 AM.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Hubie48, The Old Coyote, TNRustler
9/3/24, 9:29 AM   #12
flagboy55

I’m not a big fan of a bunch of variations of the same car. I think that ultimately dilutes the product. However, with the product that the badger midgets puts out, maybe the National series could look at what they’re doing and actually use some of it to lower the cost overall. I have no confidence that something like that would happen but it would be a good thing if it did, right?

4 members like this post: bighd0522, captrat, Midget98, oppweld
9/3/24, 9:37 AM   #13
Hubie48

The Focus race or whatever it's called that supported the pavement race at IRP a few weeks ago was very entertaining.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99, racefan20
9/3/24, 11:57 AM   #14
DJlives

Badger quick time was 15.534. Pursley went 14.617

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirtfan
9/3/24, 12:36 PM   #15
TQ29m

I did question the first post on the time, and figured someone would update it, I like the series that badger has and compare it with Speed2,which may not be close, but close enough

9/3/24, 1:31 PM   #16
Pitdad

Night 1, Badger qualified first and Parker Jones (remember that name) dropped a 14.398. Seavey later qualified in at 14.427.

2nd night, USAC qualified first and Pursley ran 14.617, Jones ran 15.534.

3 members like this post: erich45, jdull99, oppweld
9/5/24, 8:45 AM   #17
RMR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
Night 1, Badger qualified first and Parker Jones (remember that name) dropped a 14.398. Seavey later qualified in at 14.427.

2nd night, USAC qualified first and Pursley ran 14.617, Jones ran 15.534.
Yes and USAC's minimum weight rule is 1035lbs with driver. Badger's is 1100lbs with driver. What would the Badger cars be turning if they were 65 lbs lighter?

Also, I would argue the track was better for USAC after Badger the first night than it was for Badger after USAC the second night. Badger also group qualifies not single car so traffic becomes an issue for the fast Badger teams. Parker's time of 14.398 was close to Bryan Clauson's track record for USAC at the track. Badger's is 14.1 set by Jerrys Coons Jr in 1999 with a 155CID Esslinger.
Last edited by RMR3; 9/5/24 at 8:49 AM.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld
9/5/24, 9:30 AM   #18
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I’m not a big fan of a bunch of variations of the same car. I think that ultimately dilutes the product. However, with the product that the badger midgets puts out, maybe the National series could look at what they’re doing and actually use some of it to lower the cost overall. I have no confidence that something like that would happen but it would be a good thing if it did, right?
I agree with your statement, but not the method. In my mind, the national midgets should be the biggest and the best cars out there. Then there should be a set of rules that allows for a more cost conscious solution. Badger, USAC D1, ARDC, etc shoud all have the same rules.

If you can afford to run a national midget, there should be a set of rules that all series follows. If you need to have a more cost conscious solution, there should be a set of rules that all series follows.

I was following Cale Coons run over the weekend, and his mom posted that his D1 engine was about 100HP lower than the Badger midgets. This is where we need stop the different rule packages.
Last edited by Jonr; 9/5/24 at 10:44 AM. Reason: grammar

9/5/24, 11:24 PM   #19
RMR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I agree with your statement, but not the method. In my mind, the national midgets should be the biggest and the best cars out there. Then there should be a set of rules that allows for a more cost conscious solution. Badger, USAC D1, ARDC, etc shoud all have the same rules.

If you can afford to run a national midget, there should be a set of rules that all series follows. If you need to have a more cost conscious solution, there should be a set of rules that all series follows.

I was following Cale Coons run over the weekend, and his mom posted that his D1 engine was about 100HP lower than the Badger midgets. This is where we need stop the different rule packages.
There is extreme danger in holding onto something that is failing. You hang on too long and it will go extinct. Midget racing using purpose built engines has been in decline for decades. There used to be healthy series with 30+ cars all across the United States running the same purpose built engine rules (California, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn, etc). Now POWRI has races with 7 cars. Xtreme and USAC share the same 6-9 multi-car teams to get to 20 cars.There used to be big paying races like Hut 100, Gold Crown, Turkey Night, Pepsi Nationals, Knoxville, Night Before the 500, Chili Bowl etc. The only ones left are Turkey Night and Chili Bowl. All the high paying midget races are gone.

Keep hanging on and you will lose the thing you love all together. The Badger engine rules are a path forward. They provide exceptionally good racing and they still perform at a level midget racing fans approve of as was shown by Parker Jones out qualifying USAC with a 65lbs heavier car. There are two (Badger & MARA) and soon a third series all running the same Badger engine rules. There are only two series with any legitimacy left running purpose built engine rules. I personally do no want to see midgets become a specialty sport that runs one race (Chili Bowl) a year. We are already too close to that for comfort.

One thing everyone can do if you want to see midget racing surive....quit playing down the Badger series. Build it up. The cars are FAST and they arguably put on the best midget racing in the country right now. All you have to do is watch the highlight videos to see that.
Last edited by RMR3; 9/5/24 at 11:48 PM.

7 members like this post: Hubie48, oppweld, racenut69, skids59, The Old Coyote, TNRustler, TQ29m
9/6/24, 8:35 AM   #20
flagboy55

By the way it looks like 4 Crown is paying 15k to win if the USAC website is correct

2 members like this post: jdull99, luckybuc97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Firemen's Nats