IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MAVERICK/IRA AT Tri-State 6/22
6/23/24, 1:19 AM   #11
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
And once again, after 11pm mind you, they gotta go and ruin a fine and racy track with yet another re-work.
Go ahead and say, "well don't watch it if you don't like it".
I will in fact do just that. Can't stand watching anymore tractor parades when they are clearly not needed.
I’m sure that you were in attendance.

Dude, he has only been prepping the track the way he wants for 40 years. He doesn’t care if you like it or not or if you watch it on FLO. Get a grip on reality.

Yes I guess when you open your new racetrack, you can do with it whatever you please. I probably won’t be there though.

Crowd was pretty darn good considering 98 degree temperature.

Thanks to IRA and Maverick for organizing this mini summer series!
Last edited by Rpracing1; 6/23/24 at 1:30 AM.

6/23/24, 8:05 AM   #12
diversified

I’m guessing Crankin doesn’t realize Haubstadt is in the Central time zone LOL

3 members like this post: nathans1012, oppweld, Rpracing1
6/23/24, 10:48 AM   #13
Re: MAVERICK/IRA AT Tri-State 6/22
Crankin

You're absolutely right Chief, I forgot about the pockets of Indiana that stay on Central time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
I’m sure that you were in attendance.
The words "don't watch" should be your first clue as to where I was at.

Quote:
Dude, he has only been prepping the track the way he wants for 40 years. He doesn’t care if you like it or not or if you watch it on FLO. Get a grip on reality.
Reality? Here is the reality I have never understood about that place.
First, the track's design already lends itself to fantastic racing, much more than designs of some other tracks. Yet they continue to constantly f%*k with it every night? Why? When 70 minutes of your evening is taken up by tractor and then push truck packing races? I will say though, that they get it done in 35 minutes, which is pretty good when compared to some other re-works. Anyway.
Look, I get it when the sun is up and 50 cars hot lap and qualify on it, and you want to start with a fresh track for the racing that evening. But after that, unless as mentioned earlier, it rubbers up, or is single file huggy pole, leave it alone!

Did you see how racy the B was? Awesome racing with tons of passing, which that place delivers. WHY RE-WORK when the track already gives you that kind of racing, and you only have the A-Main to go? (yes I know the Mini Sprints were there too, but there B-Main is not going to affect the track that much.

So here's what you get. You get 15 laps of a 30 lap race running the track back into the shape it already was beforehand? Half of the main event of the evening is used up doing something that doesn't need to be done, and the lack of good racing (early) usually proves that out.
Again, you just watched some fantastic (later) heat races, and an exciting B. Then comes the big race, and the leader passed 1 car on the start, to win. 2nd place passed 2 cars. 3rd passed 2 cars. 4th lost 3 spots, and 5th gained 1 spot.... 95% of those spots were gained and lost on the start. Hell, T-Mez, whose really good there, only passed 1 car. You have to go back to 9th and 10th place finishers before you see Philo passed 5 cars, and Bacon passed 7. Imagine how different all that would have been if the track was left alone?
Instead, you got 35 minutes of tractors, for a 12 minute race. That's reality.

I've heard it many times before when USAC runs there. Hold your position until the track comes back in, then start racing. Translated, the paying customer, in a way, is kind of getting short changed by only seeing good racing for 1/2 of the main event.
The last 1/2 of USAC mains there are usually fantastic! Why not give em the full 30?

Quote:
Yes I guess when you open your new racetrack, you can do with it whatever you please. I probably won’t be there though.
Well that's bummer. I was counting on you to be my first investor? Cause I thought I told you that the track was going to be a copy in design of Haubstadt.

Quote:
Crowd was pretty darn good considering 98 degree temperature.
So why make them sit out there even longer? That sort of stuff effects future attendance for some people.

Quote:
Thanks to IRA and Maverick for organizing this mini summer series!
Totally agree. I would bet next year will be even bigger, with possibly more tracks involved!
Last edited by Crankin; 6/23/24 at 10:54 AM.

6/23/24, 12:13 PM   #14
erich45

Maybe if they didn't work the track, the first 15 laps of the A would be great, and the last 15 would be dry slick or rubbered up?

7 members like this post: 2rock21, okie, oldfan49, oppweld, RacingFan52, Rpracing1, TNRustler
6/23/24, 1:02 PM   #15
flagboy55

I’ve enjoyed watching this series. Thanks be to God that the IRA came on board to sanction it and get it streamed otherwise even fewer people would see it. From what I’ve seen the only track that may have broke even so far would be Haubstadt. I hope they do as well today at the iconic Action Track. I’m not sure if the weather did them a favor by having warm sunshine days here in Indiana, and having adverse weather elsewhere. I think the IRA is a great regional series that’s well run, and this should definitely bring some attention to the club. But with that attention, and bad weather elsewhere, came some unintended heavy hitters that displaced some of the regulars from needed points and podiums. All in all, I have been entertained. If the Maverick series catches on, great, but if not I’m ok with that too. Someplace has got to be the wingless Capital of the World, I’m just lucky it’s Indiana

3 members like this post: erich45, nathans1012, oppweld
6/23/24, 3:03 PM   #16
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

I'd like to think that this mini-series helped both tours with some recognition. Damn good car counts the first 3 races and still TBA for what the car counts might be for tonight at Terre Haute. Racing has been pretty decent so far for the first 3 races.

Thinking a head to the future wonder if there would ever be the possibility of a triple sanctioned show with Maverick / IRA / MOWA.

Maybe a midwestern speed week with Wisconsin, Illinois, & Indiana. Not sure what tracks would jump abord for something like that but just a thought.

6/23/24, 6:09 PM   #17
flagboy55

I heard that MOWA wanted no part of affiliation with Maverick. I don’t swear to that but it’s what I heard.

6/23/24, 9:23 PM   #18
kdobson

Not true in the slightest. As the one who schedules for MOWA there was just no point in forcing our guys to spend 4 days in Indiana in huge fields where many would leave with just tow money to get series points.

Instead we purposefully didn't race 410s in Jacksonville on Friday (The only night this season we won't) and raced 360s instead so that those who wanted to go participate could...and those who didn't, weren't pressured to.

We wholeheartedly support the event and laid down at Jacksonville to give it space. We work very closely with the IRA for scheduling to allow as many as possible to chase points with both. I don't really know the Maverick team, but was told we could formally participate if we wished. We chose not to for other reasons but for sure not because of any animosity. We fully support their efforts to build wing racing in Indiana and I'm sure we will work together as friendly neighbors at some point in the future.

Oh.... And FWIW, I'm on Tom's side of the track prep issue. Tires are insanely expensive, and you want it racey at the end if possible. It's doubtful the track could have avoided rubber in that heat without the rework. And that team is simply the best
Last edited by kdobson; 6/23/24 at 9:37 PM.

6/23/24, 11:13 PM   #19
flagboy55

Thanks Kenny for clarification. You always seem to be very transparent on motive’s of operations. I was hoping you would reply. Now with your endorsement, can we give ol Helfrich a break?

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, racenut69, Rpracing1
6/24/24, 12:17 AM   #20
openwheelfan1

I WATCHED all four nights of Maverick Mayhem, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. When the 4 night event was first announced, I expected car counts in the low to mid 20’s and less than great racing. I thought the racing was very good throughout the event and even though the partnership with the IRA boosted car counts, I don’t think anyone expected car counts to average 46 cars across the 4 nights.

I attended my first race at Tri-State Speedway/ Haubstadt in 1964. As long as I can remember, they have at times over worked the track. With that said, the result is USUALLY worth the time. The track is almost always multi-groove and competitive with a lot of passing. I live 2+ hrs from the track, so I am very sensitive to time, and while I’d like to get home 45 minutes earlier than we usually do, I also don’t want to spend $50 in fuel to see a one lane parade.

My compliments to the teams and tracks for a fun 4 nights to watch!
Last edited by openwheelfan1; 6/24/24 at 12:19 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MAVERICK/IRA AT Tri-State 6/22