IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's Mr. Klepper?
4/18/10, 9:08 PM   #11
Re: Where's Mr. Klepper?
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint63122 View Post
You can bet that they probably waived the penalty for not being there tonight
The only thing bein waived is RK's salary!!....usually by the host facility!!.....when thats da case....he works elsewhere!!....Hez got bills just like da rest of us!!....just not da same without all his USAC "KNOWLEDGE" present!!....A shame they don't wana pay for it!!....

4/18/10, 9:50 PM   #12
AlkyMadness

I thought the announcer tonight did a great job. He was he?

Nothing against Klepper, appreciated hearing him at Hickory with the midgets, but want to give credit where credits due.

1 member likes this post: dant
4/18/10, 10:12 PM   #13
CRA91

I saw him on t.v yesterday as a pit reporter on the Lucas Motorsports Hour show,it was showing an off road truck race.

4/18/10, 10:24 PM   #14
Dustin Proffitt

Tonights announcer did a fine job.

4/18/10, 11:40 PM   #15
jawbone

USAC won't pay him I talked to him on facebook.

4/19/10, 8:06 AM   #16
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierfan View Post
Mills said he was busy working on the Lucas Oil Motorsport Hour stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Saw an off-road truck race on Speed yesterday and Klepper was in the pits interviewing guys.

4/19/10, 9:21 AM   #17
DonMoore10

Mr. Klepper won't have any trouble finding work. He's very good at what he does. He's on his way up. He and his bro Clay are great people. He did a one on one interview with Mario Andretti on Speed Channel not too long ago and it got 4 stars in my book. It was about as good as it gets.

Don Moore
Last edited by DonMoore10; 4/19/10 at 9:24 AM.

4/19/10, 9:42 AM   #18
SprintLuvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Proffitt View Post
Tonights announcer did a fine job.
Yes, I would have to agree that it was a fine job, but who wants to be just fine. If someone tells me what I did was fine, I am pretty mad that I didn't do a better job. I went to Lawrenceburg and Kokomo and at both, the announcer was fluff, he stated the obvious, over an over and over again. He actually told the fans at Lawrenceburg that it's never good when parts come flying off of a car. Really? That's the best he had? I bet a first timer to a sprint show could deduce that himself! I believe he was fine for the novice in the stands but 99 percent of the fans going to the sprint races are more knowledgeable than that. The local announcer at Lawrenceburg kept breaking in to fill the fans in on what was going on and give them the inside look they weren't getting from the USAC announcer.

My other issue with him was that he kept calling Robert Ballou, Bobby B. I understand he was trying to jazz it up a bit but he just sounded like he didn't even know the racers he was announcing. It was like going to a funeral when the people speaking about the deceased never even knew him, it's painful! I asked Robert at Komomo if anyone ever calls him Bobby and he said no, other than this announcer guy who he didn't even know. I felt that it made him sound as if he knew nothing because if you can't get a drivers name right that you are announcing then what good are you to the fans. If Robert wanted to be called Bobby, he would put that on his entry and the the side of his race car.

I do enjoy Rob Klepper because he is intelligent, knows his racers and knows how to inform a crowd. I understand he cannot be at every race, but USAC needs to pay a traveling announcer to follow the series as Johnny Gibson does with the World of Outlaws. They need someone who knows the racers, knows what is going on with the teams and the organization, week in and week out, and in my opinion the person for that position is Rob Klepper.

Susannah Stapp

4/19/10, 9:55 AM   #19
DonMoore10

I was thrown off everytime that announcer said Bobby B. Hmm.. Who is that?? Let's see... Bobby B./// Could be Bobby E. (Bobby East). OR..

Could be the 60's singer ( who is a great singer).. Bobby Vee! LOLOLOLOLOL I don't think he drove sprint cars or does. hahahaha

4/19/10, 11:28 AM   #20
smallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintLuvr View Post
Yes, I would have to agree that it was a fine job, but who wants to be just fine. If someone tells me what I did was fine, I am pretty mad that I didn't do a better job. I went to Lawrenceburg and Kokomo and at both, the announcer was fluff, he stated the obvious, over an over and over again. He actually told the fans at Lawrenceburg that it's never good when parts come flying off of a car. Really? That's the best he had? I bet a first timer to a sprint show could deduce that himself! I believe he was fine for the novice in the stands but 99 percent of the fans going to the sprint races are more knowledgeable than that. The local announcer at Lawrenceburg kept breaking in to fill the fans in on what was going on and give them the inside look they weren't getting from the USAC announcer.

My other issue with him was that he kept calling Robert Ballou, Bobby B. I understand he was trying to jazz it up a bit but he just sounded like he didn't even know the racers he was announcing. It was like going to a funeral when the people speaking about the deceased never even knew him, it's painful! I asked Robert at Komomo if anyone ever calls him Bobby and he said no, other than this announcer guy who he didn't even know. I felt that it made him sound as if he knew nothing because if you can't get a drivers name right that you are announcing then what good are you to the fans. If Robert wanted to be called Bobby, he would put that on his entry and the the side of his race car.

I do enjoy Rob Klepper because he is intelligent, knows his racers and knows how to inform a crowd. I understand he cannot be at every race, but USAC needs to pay a traveling announcer to follow the series as Johnny Gibson does with the World of Outlaws. They need someone who knows the racers, knows what is going on with the teams and the organization, week in and week out, and in my opinion the person for that position is Rob Klepper.

Susannah Stapp
Susannah,

I'm glad that you signed your name to your post, which shows a lot of integrity, and thanks for the feedback...I was wondering what, if anything, would be said by anyone about how I did with this weekend's stuff.

Just to give you a little background, I've been calling races for 24 years now, starting with the DIRT circuit in the northeast (as both a PA guy and TV pit reporter) and now branching out to doing some USAC events when Klepper's not available.

I'm sorry if I came off sounding 'novice'...this was the first real weekend swing I've done with the AMSOIL Sprint Car Series (I usually do the Mopar .25 Midgets) and I'm just getting to know the drivers and teams.

You are right that 'Bobby B' was my own creation to jazz it up a bit...and if Robert would prefer I not use it, I'm fine with that, too...(Robert, if you read these boards and want to comment, don't hesitate to send me a PM)...

If anyone else has feedback, good or bad, I'd love to hear it...you can't improve or give people what they want unless they tell you!

Thanks everyone!
Paul Szmal

4 members like this post: ArizonaCoonsFan, AustinSprinter, mtek56, sprintcar39
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's Mr. Klepper?