IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It might get even harder to get kids interested.
4/22/15, 12:58 PM   #11
Re: It might get even harder to get kids interested.
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
On the interweb news on Yahoo, this AM, was an article about this very thing, the Auto Companies are looking at a bill, that was written, and passed, in 1998, I think, that would prohibit anyone but a Certified ASME mechanic, from performing any repairs on any car, built by the manufacturers of today, at anywhere but the Dealers repair centers. Now comes the question, the dog caught the car, now what's he do, how will this be policed, but it is a sad state of affairs, when things like this look to be controlled by Big Brother. Food for thought! Bob
Bob

OBD III when implemented will not only set a light but send a notice to the dealer telling them about your automobile's problem they will in turn contact the owner to make arrangements for them to bring the car in to be serviced.

When elected president my first day in the Oval Office I will send out pink slips to everyone working for the EPA. Day two I think the OSHA people will get theirs

Honest Dad himself

4 members like this post: jim goerge, racer-x, turn4, xoxide
4/22/15, 1:50 PM   #12
ossuks

Just the other day with my class of 8th graders I asked them the following.... "How cool would it be if instead of typing messages to your friends, if you could just pick up a device, punch in a small series of numbers and actually talk to them?"

OK, being a little more serious...todays teens are doing very well for themselves..their education is vastly improved over my generation...the use of technology, as scary as it might be to some of the older generations, is the major reason contributing to their improving education!

We understand full face helmets, roll cages, soft walls, fuel injection, neck restraints, ect.. But my dad thought the roll cage would "ruin" racing .

Those points that had to be replaced every other year or so...my 2007 pickup has 211,000 miles and the only thing I have ever done to it is change the oil maybe 4 times (and brake pads)!
Last edited by ossuks; 4/22/15 at 7:04 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
4/22/15, 5:31 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Wait, What, Huh? What are you calling a kid? A 18 year old?

Dad started taking me at five or six to the races. I didn't know crap about cars and he only knew the basic maintainence.

Didn't stop me from finding it to be COOL.

Get em there a few times, You never know. Take your neighbors kids.

Chuck, who can still remember Bert Swafford saying Tony Saliminto goes in front of Johnny Krebs. Marvin Deputy etc.

While T shirts are cool and help some race sponsors. Giving out Sprint Car, Modified Hotwheels would be COOLER and have them making little sprint tracks in their sandbox or dirt pile.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/22/15 at 5:33 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DAD
4/22/15, 6:18 PM   #14
jim goerge

I started traveling with Dad when I was round 5 6 to USAC sprints and midgets. It was Dad and me and 3 of his buddies, my seat was front seat middle. When we went to the old Speeddome or Haubstadt I got 3 of my buddies to go with us. Thinking back I guess my buddies liked it cuz I remember them being at house in time for breakfast lunch and each of us getting a sack supper from mom to eat at track Now my own son could care less My Daughter takes pictures and says she would love to try doing the cars but seems something always comes up to stop her I still get looks when I tell my kids back in my day we used to use a phone to talk on I have my fingers crossed for my grandson

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/22/15, 6:28 PM   #15
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Wait, What, Huh? What are you calling a kid? A 18 year old?

Dad started taking me at five or six to the races. I didn't know crap about cars and he only knew the basic maintainence.

Didn't stop me from finding it to be COOL.

Get em there a few times, You never know. Take your neighbors kids.

Chuck, who can still remember Bert Swafford saying Tony Saliminto goes in front of Johnny Krebs. Marvin Deputy etc.

While T shirts are cool and help some race sponsors. Giving out Sprint Car, Modified Hotwheels would be COOLER and have them making little sprint tracks in their sandbox or dirt pile.
Charles

I know of one kid that would take home clay from the actual tracks he attended and build those specific tracks on pieces of plywood. They would include pits bill boards and even push trucks and race cars. He is still racing today with his own race cars and doing a pretty good job at it.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/22/15, 11:14 PM   #16
Longtime sprinter

When I went to the Burg with my brother when I was 6 or so, I remember just wanting the feature to get over, so they would open the gate, and let us fans out on the track to see the cars and drivers and even get to sit in one. The cars & drivers would come out on the front stretch after the checkers, and the interaction with the racers had a profound effect on us kids. About 55 years later, and I still get chills when I get out of my car in the parking lot, and hear the engines roar.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/24/15, 5:55 PM   #17
ThePurple73

Maybe every kids beginning race track experiences are different, but mine were exciting to say the least.
We went to Jalopy racing where they ran 1930 ford coupes and the like. It seemed the jalopies went 200 mph back then. But there was always some major excitement.
I remember one night a fairly good sized wife of a driver was mad and climbed the flagstand to talk with the flagman and a rung broke and she was kicking her feet, yelling at the flagman. The flagman climbed down the fence and ran and she dropped to the ground and chased him.
Back then my mom would give me a quarter to spend at the races, and I could buy a bottle of Pepsi, Popcorn and a Three Muskateers bar.
It was exciting enough I guess that any racetrack I go to today has that magic appeal.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 4/24/15 at 5:56 PM.

2 members like this post: fish, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It might get even harder to get kids interested.