IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
2/8/08, 10:43 PM   #11
Re: Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future
speedy20

Bipes flipping through the fence between 1 and 2(really nasty). It was Leon who flipped in the back of a pick-up. What about the nite Skylar Hinkle flipped down the front stretch, I was scoring at the Burg at that time, we thought the worst had happened that nite. We stopped racing for the nite after that flip. The big "rivalry" between Staab and Thickstun who would win every week. Dont ever forget about, probably the nicest guys to every race at the Burg, Danny Milburn. I sure do miss him. Others you forgot to mention, Gary Gray, Joe Miller, Allan Barr, The Rice's, Mickey Smith, and Larry Bland. I'm probably leaving a bunch out. I don't remember Leon Thickstun driving for Hoffman, I remember him driving the Law Bros 77. Jeff Thickstun drove there on ocasions in the Bayless 17.
I look forward to driving my LM at the "New" Burg making it the fastest 3/8 track in the country. Can't wait go racing it should be intresting. What about the nite Jack Hewitt punched out Sammy Swindell after the HFC.

Jeff Simonton

2/8/08, 10:46 PM   #12
flipalong

Jeff thickstun also drove Denny Johnson's #15 car there a few times.

2/8/08, 10:47 PM   #13
mtek56

Chuck don't know you but I've beengoing to the burg since the mid 80's. Remember vividly the flip in turn 3, car was higher than light pole. Also remember Gordon's first night at the burg. parked it in turn 4 infield if I recall correctly. Just seeing the the names brought back alot of memories.

2/9/08, 12:21 AM   #14
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 51

The Past, seems like ancient history!

Thanks to SteveHardin.com
More of the old falling apart Lawrenceburg
http://www.stevehardin.com/htm/lawrenceburg.htm

I miss the old rusted out Pee troughs

Jim Keeker's wild ride was one of the worst I have seen. He started flipping before the flagstand and did not stop until hiiting the fence well into turn 1.

Check out some old L'burg Cover scans I sent this Guy
http://www.progcovers.com
The Yellow 1980 program is from the Cecil98 era.:respect:

2/9/08, 1:06 AM   #15
Z-man

Keith
If you want to relive some history looks like the pit accomodations haven't changed. Nice photos.

2/9/08, 6:52 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy20 View Post
Bipes flipping through the fence between 1 and 2(really nasty). It was Leon who flipped in the back of a pick-up. What about the nite Skylar Hinkle flipped down the front stretch, I was scoring at the Burg at that time, we thought the worst had happened that nite. We stopped racing for the nite after that flip. The big "rivalry" between Staab and Thickstun who would win every week. Dont ever forget about, probably the nicest guys to every race at the Burg, Danny Milburn. I sure do miss him. Others you forgot to mention, Gary Gray, Joe Miller, Allan Barr, The Rice's, Mickey Smith, and Larry Bland. I'm probably leaving a bunch out. I don't remember Leon Thickstun driving for Hoffman, I remember him driving the Law Bros 77. Jeff Thickstun drove there on ocasions in the Bayless 17.
I look forward to driving my LM at the "New" Burg making it the fastest 3/8 track in the country. Can't wait go racing it should be intresting. What about the nite Jack Hewitt punched out Sammy Swindell after the HFC.

Jeff Simonton

When naming names, Im always gonna forget some (Not because they weren't memerable. Of course I remember Bland in the black duece and Danny Milburn who over the years raced a little bit of everything. I even remember a pure stock named the Blue Mule with two horseshoes on the rear quarter

That night Hewitt decked Sammy was full well desereved, Sammy never did run the Burg again. That was the year of the USA-WOO split and Sammy was cherry picking including Ohio Speedweek

I remember clearly Larry Bland comming off four on a wheelie, setting it down about five feet from the wall and watching the car become a zig zag from the impact.

Indiana's Andy Hillenburg drove for Hoffman also but I believe that first year Rob was Chief. Leon did most of it. *I could be wrong*

We always talk about the good old days but ten years from now, Todays races are the good old days. Yeah there have been greats and sold out houses in all era's

Chuck, feeling a Marv Fish moment coming on

2/9/08, 7:58 AM   #17
cecil98

I believe you might be right Chuck, it could have been Leon. Was it the red #22....fishnman

Chuck and Dave, Jeff Thickstun ran weekly at the burg beginning in either '81 or '82, when I had the track (can't remember exactly). He and his dad both drove red #22's. About the only difference in the appearance of the cars was, Jeff's tail tank didn't have the head rest molded into it and Jeffs car had an aluminum windshield (old style) for lack of something better to call it. I have an old video of Jeff racing in that car at the burg during my tenure .

2/9/08, 8:19 AM   #18
cecil98

My childhood days saw drivers like Ross Smith, Tommy Mattlin, Wayne Wolf, Roy Robbins, Stan Bowman, Calvin Gilstrap, Jim Cushman, Jim Bob Luebbert, Dick Gaines, Mike Smith, Mike Johnson, Bud Detmer, Frankie Mack, Joe Pflum, Gil Hess, Larry & Steve Cannon, Bill Teegarden (yes, in a sprinter), Sheldon Kinser (Brewer Cadillac#14) Hugh Randell, and CECIL Beavers (hint, hint:O. All of these guys ran sprinters (or sprint coup/modifieds as they were called) at the Burg fairly regularly at one point in time during the 60's. The 60's was a transition period where the old openwheel modified coups evolved into sprint cars. I remember when the Detmers (Bud and Dale) switched from the old chopped down coup body to a sprint car body on their modified. There are a lot more but that is all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

PS...if any of you old guys can add to this list from the late 50's thru the 60's, have at it! I need to have my memory jarred!

2/9/08, 8:19 AM   #19
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Leon Thickston still has a sprint car, it runs weekly at Paragon and is driven by Steve Rone of Bloomington. Last year Steve won the track championship at Paragon. Rest in peace Jeff.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2/9/08, 12:36 PM   #20
smith19

Cecil,we Ran Down There From Time To Time In The 60's But Our Driver Wasn't As Known As Some Of Those Guys (don Hewitt).

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg, Past, Present, Future