IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Revised USAC spec tire rule
10/31/07, 1:02 PM   #11
Re: Revised USAC spec tire rule
Rex W.

Good 'ol USAC gotta love em

10/31/07, 1:37 PM   #12
CRA91

In CRA the teams are aware that you can run the F-55 tire when track conditions require it,I know we carry a couple of them in the trailer all the time( just in case). But I also know that our Hoosier dealer doesn't carry very many of those tires due to the fact that very rarely do we face such bad track conditions.
I don't know if it really made a difference that Darren had a 55 on his car,since earlier this year when he drove the car I work on at Vegas with similar track conditions and we ran a 2 compound and it went the entire 30 laps,while other teams ran a 55 and had no more tire left than we had.Darren in my opinion is very good at working the throttle and keeping the car hooked up and not abusing his tires.:clauson:

10/31/07, 2:57 PM   #13
Seadog

Page 10 photo in NSSN on 10/31/07 shows Hagen's RR tire with smoke coming from it.

10/31/07, 3:05 PM   #14
RichC

Rob, the F-55 deal originated on the west coast during the SCRA days. When the RC1/2 became the spec tire there were a lot of problems at Manzanita. The RC1 wouldn't last and the RC2 had a tendency to delaminate and throw the tread off the tire. That is when they first allowed the F-55 out of desperation because it was a crapshoot whether or not you could finish the race on an RC2. We did a bunch of tire testing at Manzy with Hoosier and they got the RC2 sorted out but the F-55 allowance stayed on the books. It became pretty rare that you would need one. When they steamrolled SCRA under, the new group's rules became a hybrid of SCRA/USAC rules and the F-55 rule got grandfathered in. I'm sure the issue never came up for the National guys because they didn't have a tire rule prior to this year. I was under the impression that once USAC/CRA adopted the DT-3 that the F-55 was no longer legal. Apparently most everyone else thought the same thing.

I'm not defending anyone's decision here, just giving some background into the F-55 deal.

10/31/07, 8:43 PM   #15
tonyj

Is this what T-Mac meant when he replied..."USAC has too many rules", when Buckley (Jackslash) asked him about running with them...after stating that he loves the non-winged racing?

11/1/07, 8:12 AM   #16
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
Is this what T-Mac meant when he replied..."USAC has too many rules", when Buckley (Jackslash) asked him about running with them...after stating that he loves the non-winged racing?
Like the outlaws don't have too many rules? Geez.

11/1/07, 8:54 AM   #17
dirtywhiteboy

It shouldn't surprise anyone that USAC made a call like this. Look at USAC's history it is littered with horribly bad calls. 1997 Indy 500, the new Silver Crown car, ditching the old pavement Silver Crown chassis, etc.

I do have a question: Why doesn't USAC just make the hardest tire available the standard on the dirt and pavement and take the tire wear and vulnerability completely out of the equation?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Revised USAC spec tire rule