IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Now is a Great Time to Order Your Knoxville Nationals Tickets!
2/22/08, 3:59 PM   #11
Re: Now is a Great Time to Order Your Knoxville Nationals Tickets!
pre-mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
I think Knoxville Nationals are overrated. The prestige and tradition is there but... Put it this way there was another person there form Indiana and they said it perfectly, the Hot Lap Nationals. Because it is like watching four nights of nothing but hot laps, no passing at all. JMHO

Bob Shutt
No passing?? On qualifying nights the heat races are completely inverted,
quick time starts dead last in the 1st heat. 2nd quick, last in the 2nd heat, and so on, and they are 10 car heats, 4 cars transfer. Yeah, they just get in line and follow each other around...........why are people that dislike the nationals so much, clicking on this thread, anyway?????????????????:kookoo:kookoo:kookoo:kooko o

2/22/08, 6:46 PM   #12
Gaines #1 Fan

:rolling:rolling:rolling:

2/22/08, 8:46 PM   #13
Racer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-mud View Post
No passing?? On qualifying nights the heat races are completely inverted,
quick time starts dead last in the 1st heat. 2nd quick, last in the 2nd heat, and so on, and they are 10 car heats, 4 cars transfer. Yeah, they just get in line and follow each other around...........why are people that dislike the nationals so much, clicking on this thread, anyway?????????????????:kookoo:kookoo:kookoo:kooko o
In comparison to any REAL (i.e. without wings) sprint car race the amount of passing is nowhere near the amount you can see at any given race in Indiana. You can say what you want but my eyes didn't lie to me. All the races on Saturday night were a bore as well as most of all the other nights also! And I clicked on this thread to post my opinion, isn't that what this message board is for? Did I say anyone was stupid for going? Nope. If you notice at the end of my post I put JMHO, that means just my honest opinion. Take it for what you want.

Bob Shutt

2/22/08, 11:12 PM   #14
petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
petey...I remember going to the Dirt Nationals held at I-55 in Pevely, MO in '98 I think. It was a 2 day show ran in conjunction with the WoO. 2 classes, awesome racing...but they moved it to THAT.
Tony: The US Dirt Nats. was originally a WoO event held at the Indy State Fairgrounds in 1992 then was ran at THAT from 93 to 95. I was there for the later two of those years. Then it was deemed a WoO race at Hartford, Mich. in 96 then it was moved to Pevely for 97 and 98 with wingless racing on the later year. Then it was moved back to THAT for 99 (a rain out) then the last real one in 2000 which was a WoO Gumout series race with ASCS and a 410 wingless event.

I didn't go but in 96 and I think 97 THAT held their own event with multiple sprint classes in dispute over the race being moved to Hartford and Pevely.

2/23/08, 6:57 AM   #15
Dwight Shelton

Pre Mud, welcome to the board. I think your very first post was a good one and pointed out part of what makes Knoxville an event for many sprint car fans.
While I personally prefer non-wing sprints, I have seen many exciting winged races and will continue to attend and enjoy into the future.
It seems that several posters on IOW feel it is their responsibility and calling in life to attempt to belittle winged sprinters. They remind me of the traveling salvation show preachers bellowing at a loud voice that only they know the true meaning of life and if you don't quit liking winged sprint cars you are doomed to spend eternity in hell!!!:rolling

2/23/08, 6:05 PM   #16
Tim Watson

I wouldn't mind going some year just to see it but my dislike about Knoxville is that the track is just to big. :redflag:

2/23/08, 7:15 PM   #17
Hawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
Tony: The US Dirt Nats. was originally a WoO event held at the Indy State Fairgrounds in 1992 then was ran at THAT from 93 to 95. I was there for the later two of those years. Then it was deemed a WoO race at Hartford, Mich. in 96 then it was moved to Pevely for 97 and 98 with wingless racing on the later year. Then it was moved back to THAT for 99 (a rain out) then the last real one in 2000 which was a WoO Gumout series race with ASCS and a 410 wingless event.

I didn't go but in 96 and I think 97 THAT held their own event with multiple sprint classes in dispute over the race being moved to Hartford and Pevely.
I was there in '98. Awesome racing. Tony Elliott missed the first night due to a race in CA, started scratch the second night an won from 24th!!!

The WoO dash was one of the top 3 races I have seen in over 40 years. 5 laps with at least 10 lead changes!!! I remember Sammy going from last to first to last in ONE LAP!!!

As far as the Knoxville Nationals go? It may be winged, but the racing on Wednesday and Thursday night is better than ANY racing in the country. If it doesn't light you up, your no openwheel fan.

2/23/08, 10:12 PM   #18
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post

As far as the Knoxville Nationals go? It may be winged, but the racing on Wednesday and Thursday night is better than ANY racing in the country. If it doesn't light you up, your no openwheel fan.

It used to be,but hasnt been the last few years. Your lucky to see the inverted drivers even make it to a qualifying position from 10th anymore.

Last year I was willing to possibly miss a qualifying night (from the crappy weather they were having) to go to Little Belleville for the Arnie Knepper memorial race. I had to pick up an item I had on display at the Hall of Fame,otherwise I wouldnt have even gone back to Knoxville from Little Belleville,I would have headed over to Indiana Midget week.

The atmosphere isnt there anymore for me,and neither is the racing aspect either. Its finally gotten to the point that it costs to much just for the social aspect of it,hence I am not going back this year,and neither are my 2 longtime room mates.

I am looking forward to Indiana midget week instead.

2/23/08, 11:14 PM   #19
Jimmydiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
It used to be,but hasnt been the last few years. Your lucky to see the inverted drivers even make it to a qualifying position from 10th anymore.

Last year I was willing to possibly miss a qualifying night (from the crappy weather they were having) to go to Little Belleville for the Arnie Knepper memorial race. I had to pick up an item I had on display at the Hall of Fame,otherwise I wouldnt have even gone back to Knoxville from Little Belleville,I would have headed over to Indiana Midget week.

The atmosphere isnt there anymore for me,and neither is the racing aspect either. Its finally gotten to the point that it costs to much just for the social aspect of it,hence I am not going back this year,and neither are my 2 longtime room mates.

I am looking forward to Indiana midget week instead.
:respectitto:Steer

2/23/08, 11:54 PM   #20
Joe Whisler

I got the pleasure of going to the 1993 Knoxville Nationals with my buddy (the King's nephew). After a short rain delay, the King held off a hard charging Stevie Smith with Mark Kinser finishing third. That to date is right up there with my first feature win as my most memorable racing moments. Talk about a party!

The Knoxville Nationals is a special event that I believe everyone should experience at least once. I fall asleep at least 4 nights a week to a tape of one of the past Nationals. I still say that I would've given up an entire year of racing to be at the 2005 race when Kraig won. If anybody questions the impact of this event, I beg you to watch our heroes brought to tears of joy & excitement on that famed stage.

I dream of one day just being a part of that week of racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alO1uC_g5yU

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Now is a Great Time to Order Your Knoxville Nationals Tickets!