IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anyone at Montpellier?
9/16/24, 6:30 PM   #11
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
Maybe just run sprints?
I should have specified that to Mud Packer. If the promoter is interested, make it just USAC sprint cars and one support division. That would be profitable.

On a side note, how was Gas City able to have two USAC divisions in one evening? No other tracks host USAC sprint cars and midgets the same evening. It's not like those stands could hold thousands of people. The back gate clearly helped them. Jerry was quite the promoter, too.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, LUCKYONE, PIT CART
9/16/24, 6:39 PM   #12
Re: Anyone at Montpellier?
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
I should have specified that to Mud Packer. If the promoter is interested, make it just USAC sprint cars and one support division. That would be profitable.

On a side note, how was Gas City able to have two USAC divisions in one evening? No other tracks host USAC sprint cars and midgets the same evening. It's not like those stands could hold thousands of people. The back gate clearly helped them. Jerry was quite the promoter, too.
That I will agree with. I'm just pointing out that this promoter is new and it takes time to build a reputation. Jerry Gappens (RIP) was a very skilled and seasoned promoter and Gas City at the time was an established venue. I don't want to see a new promoter get into trouble by trying to over do it right away.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/16/24, 9:14 PM   #13
BrentTFunk

And Gas City was more of a proven product than Montpelier, open wheel wise. Was easier access at Gas City.

1 member likes this post: Grocery Guy
9/16/24, 11:35 PM   #14
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Here's a better idea...IF the promoter and/or promotion team is interested, create your own James Dean Festival Race. Why do you need USAC???

Clearly a well ran efficient show with multiple classes including but not limited to Sprint Cars on a night that USAC was running at Haubstadt and there were 30+ Sprints, 20+ Hornets, 20+ Crown Vics, and 17+ Mods. Why do you need USAC???

Location is not a problem. Montpelier has a State Highway running through it. Many many teams with big outfits and big haulers have raced at Montpelier with no problems. Other State Highways lead up or into Montpelier, Marion, Gas City, and Fairmount. I69 not far off. Lots of community activities in those towns and cities during the day, big race and celebration with or without fireworks at the track at night. Doesn't have to be on that original Thursday.

Wait until Eldora post their schedule in 2025, have the race the weekend after the 4Crown if it's like this year's schedule bc then the race would actually be the weekend of alot of the festivals, if not have it the weekend before.

As far as the name goes, since it appears its not happening this year at any track, obviously not GC, then USAC loses that name if they didn't copyright it. Even if they did, create your own name...James Dean Festival Race at Montpelier. It's not hard, think outside the box and quit worrying about USAC and what their doing. Obviously lots of teams and drivers wasn't worried about what USAC was doing this past weekend.

Purse? Well purses was pretty good this past weekend it sounded like with 4 classes. Make it 3 classes and bump each purse up. Promote it enough and make the purse a lil higher that way. Current promoter and promotion team is doing a great job and having really good shows and success this year, I'm sure could get even more sponsors for next year. If it's not a big enough purse, noone is forcing you to come and race or watch the race.

Why do you need USAC??? Clearly had a very nice big successful show this past weekend without USAC being involved!! Pretty simple. Great job Montpelier Speedway, keep up the great work!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 9/17/24 at 12:01 AM.

4 members like this post: Barr, Hammer, Hustlin-Hoosier, TQ29m
9/17/24, 8:10 AM   #15
The Old Coyote

I like your plan, DirtTrackTherapy16J, with one exception. That is I believe the Thursday before the Four Crown is important because of all the out of region fans who are in town for the Four Crown.

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, erich45, Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Anyone at Montpellier?