IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action Track As Possible Setting For Movie About First Indy 500
10/30/07, 12:14 PM   #11
Re: Action Track As Possible Setting For Movie About First Indy 500
Offy22

Dirt tracks are like a box of chocolates, ya never sure what yer gonna get. A pavement track is like eatin' liver, it's always lousy!:rolling:

10/30/07, 1:40 PM   #12
Jerry Shaw

Guys, this isn't about paving the Action Track. That was "what if?" speculation by a Tribune-Star writer. It would cost millions to pave and add banking to a track that size. So, it's not going to get paved.

What I took from that article, that encouraged me, was that some outside entity would possibly come in, recognize the Action Track for it's "Landmark" status and spend some money on it. And, more importantly, add to the "Pop Culture" status of the track. Which, mainly due to the fact that entertainment options have expanded over time, has waned over the last 30 years. Far and away, the majority of people in this area have no idea that one of the best and most significant dirt tracks in he country, sits right in their back yard. Perhaps this could serve as a reminder for some. All it takes is for a few, out of curiosity, to go to an event and just happen to see a few drivers like The Modern Day Cowboy, The Silent Gasser, The Throttle and a guy named Levi do what they do. Then, if they come back a second time, to see that again, they'll be just like all of us.

So, if this happens, I see it as free publicity and possible mass exposure. And that's just exactly what it needs.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

10/30/07, 2:06 PM   #13
Offy22

Sorry to steal the post Jerry. I'm a fan of the Action Track and even the thought of paving it is a sacrilege. I hope it all works out for the track and community. And then maybe a decent promoter could bring racing back to it.:checkered:

10/30/07, 2:23 PM   #14
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offy22 View Post
... I'm a fan of the Action Track and even the thought of paving it is a sacrilege.
Now, there's a statement that I could not agree with more.:thumb:

Jerry

Winston Churchill

10/30/07, 8:25 PM   #15
Sprint63122

Well they do not need to pave the action track if they want to use the stands for background shots that is great but leave the dirt half-mile alone. If they want to have some filming off the cars on asphalt let them go to raceway park and film it there and since they need to redo the one lane racetrack they have there they maybe they can tear it up and make it like irwindale speedway is and then they will have a decent half-mile ashpalt oval in Indy to. IMO

10/30/07, 8:45 PM   #16
Sprint Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
So if they pave it that would be fine with me. OK, go ahead and beat me up because I like pavement. I can handle it.
:icon_smile_blackeye :icon_smile_blackeye

Man do I wish I was a 6'5" 250lbs UFC MMA fighter, I'd take you up on that offer!
But since I ain't any of those, I'll just kick my Vodoo dog and hope it works!

Seadog, you need your mouth washed out with ACTION dirt!
:-)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action Track As Possible Setting For Movie About First Indy 500