IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Boston41 (Offline)
  #11 7/9/08 10:25 AM
Sponsorships are not directly tied driver, and the Stewart/Home Depot relationship is no different. My guess is that those die hard Home Depot fans cheered for the 20 car, and will cheer just as loud when the next driver takes the wheel...

And, I would hardly consider Tony Stewart to be a traitor as you so ineloquently portray him to be. In fact, I think this will be better for the sport (more competitive teams = more competition)... am I wrong?

By the way, all of your points are pretty dumb. You are comparing Mattel with GM and using that as a reason to question how General Motors spends its marketing money? (which is used to increase business)

Originally Posted by okokok:
I feel for all those loyal Home Depot employees.

They have supported Stewart so well. Treated him like a god.... Extreme loyality.

Now, Tony is moving on.....

Bet it is a real blow to those loyal Home Depot employees/fans!

"Show me the $$$$$" --- Tony, you are like all the rest of the high pay sports figures. Your actions, just reduces NASCAR to the low level of NFL, NBA, Baseball....

You make those contractual committemts --- If the employer want to get rid of you,, then you want the $$$, if you want to leave for the $$$ - that is fine with you.

Tony, how many times have I seen you in victory circle talking about the Home Depot Employees -- now, you just sweep them to the gutter...

As they say in NASCAR "Let's go Racin'" === this needs to be changed - "Let's go Racin' for the $$$"

And, to tie the topic to this board--- half owner of NASCAR team (a very bad team) appears to me to be a monster of a job.

Think of all the perils he has ahead of him. Paying the Bills.

Will all the effort for the new business endeavor - effect Eldora and the Sprint car teams? Only time will tell - but, I would not be surprised that he will have to realign his priorities.

I wonder if the timing is bad. Seems like a major focus on Chevrolet. Well, General Motors is in bad shape! Did you know, based on Market Capitalization, that Mattel Toys (6.6 Bill) is worth more than General Motors ( 6.1 Bill)!! Yes, the people that make Matchbox cars is worth more than the "mighty" GM!

With the bad shape of GM - will they cut back promotional $$ -- They are burning thru billions and has to stop the bleeding. Will racing / NASCAR take a big hit? Would seem like a possibility.

IN my opinion - I think Tony is moving into an extremely risky endeavor. I sure hope he is not putting his hard earned Home Depot $$$ into the new team. High risk to me!!
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #12 7/9/08 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by okokok:
I feel for all those loyal Home Depot employees.

They have supported Stewart so well. Treated him like a god.... Extreme loyality.

Now, Tony is moving on.....

Bet it is a real blow to those loyal Home Depot employees/fans!

"Show me the $$$$$" --- Tony, you are like all the rest of the high pay sports figures. Your actions, just reduces NASCAR to the low level of NFL, NBA, Baseball....

You make those contractual committemts --- If the employer want to get rid of you,, then you want the $$$, if you want to leave for the $$$ - that is fine with you.

Tony, how many times have I seen you in victory circle talking about the Home Depot Employees -- now, you just sweep them to the gutter...

As they say in NASCAR "Let's go Racin'" === this needs to be changed - "Let's go Racin' for the $$$"

And, to tie the topic to this board--- half owner of NASCAR team (a very bad team) appears to me to be a monster of a job.

Think of all the perils he has ahead of him. Paying the Bills.

Will all the effort for the new business endeavor - effect Eldora and the Sprint car teams? Only time will tell - but, I would not be surprised that he will have to realign his priorities.

I wonder if the timing is bad. Seems like a major focus on Chevrolet. Well, General Motors is in bad shape! Did you know, based on Market Capitalization, that Mattel Toys (6.6 Bill) is worth more than General Motors ( 6.1 Bill)!! Yes, the people that make Matchbox cars is worth more than the "mighty" GM!

With the bad shape of GM - will they cut back promotional $$ -- They are burning thru billions and has to stop the bleeding. Will racing / NASCAR take a big hit? Would seem like a possibility.

IN my opinion - I think Tony is moving into an extremely risky endeavor. I sure hope he is not putting his hard earned Home Depot $$$ into the new team. High risk to me!!

Do you work for Home Depot?

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
sprinter25 (Offline)
  #13 7/9/08 11:01 AM
Kind of odd, but yesterday I was in a Home Depot store in the Pittsburgh area, and they had a cardboard stand-up of Carl Edwards, in his Office Depot garb - and attached to the stand-up was a picture of an Indy Car!

So I'm thinking that maybe the employees of that particular Home Depot weren't such loyal Tony fans/supporters.....

And ok states that its now about the $$$$.... let's not kind ourselves, it has ALWAYS been about the $$$....

And how does ok know whether or not Home Depot will follow Tony to his new team?????

And TS's comments regarding the "...Home Depot Employees...", well, he is being paid by the corporation. Did you think that maybe the company wanted TS to acknowledge them when he got the chance?
Tim Clauson (Offline)
  #14 7/9/08 11:09 AM
If NASCAR would to ever "Franchise" these teams, this would be a brilliant move by Tony and the other drivers who are taking ownership rolls.
mscs20 (Offline)
  #15 7/9/08 11:23 AM
If Tony is getting paid all of this money to be the new "Highest Paid Driver" in NASCAR, where is the rational that he is spending any of his money to become part owner? One of the PR guys from Bass Pro Shop said earlier when this goes down, his share of ownership will be part of his salary. So there truly isn't much risk. Plus it is normal now for some drivers to get a percentage off the top of the sponsor dollar commitment, at the beginning of the year, if they are involved in bringing it.
Even with Haas in jail, he is one rich mo-fo. And I heard it with my own ears, Tony says he will be free of "contractual limitations" which I assume meant he could run with us more if he wanted. Or the Indy 500 even. Weather he ever does or not is one thing, but at least he will have more freedom of choice.

Home Depot fans take heart, Joey Lagano will be fun to watch and cheer for. Budwiser fans got a good one in Kasey K. And how about Kasey and that 5th place run at Eldora last night?
ClaytonYeley (Offline)
  #16 7/9/08 11:34 AM
It would be good if he grabbed JJ out of his half a$$ ride.
Joey Woods (Offline)
  #17 7/9/08 12:11 PM
I did not see the Newman thing coming.
Moses
  #18 7/9/08 12:13 PM
Did anyone notice this from the AP story about Stewart:

"Assuming Stewart does buy Haas-CNC, he'll re-establish his long
relationship with Chevrolet. The partnership was partially fractured this
season when Gibbs moved to Toyota. General Motors continued to sponsor the
sprint cup (sic) teams that Stewart also owns."

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/.../d91q7n5o2.txt

Sprint Cup=Sprint Car apparently.

Yeah, whats the difference anyway? Sloppy reporting from the AP.
BuckWheat
  #19 7/9/08 12:18 PM
I just say, GOOD FOR SMOKE!
Work hard and grab the reward!

Nobody has pointed out the other MAJOR benefit, not having to see at that stupid look on Kyle Busch's face at the shop anymore!

:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
arctic monkey21 (Offline)
  #20 7/9/08 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Joey Woods:
I did not see the Newman thing coming.
His contract is up and its a team that is going to be in the go or go home group. If you've gotta get in on time who's better than Ryan? It wasn't that long ago that Newman was among the better drivers, but since it seems like the whole Penske organization has been off. Especially with the new cars. His old crew chief Matt Borland is at Haas now and it might lead to them being put together again.