IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Destruction of Manzanita Speedway
4/20/09, 8:56 PM   #11
Re: Destruction of Manzanita Speedway
racephoto1

I don't think it is the legacy he intended to leave, but now it will forever be the one he has.

4/20/09, 10:03 PM   #12
Joey Woods

When toyota came to our area there was a rumor that Tri State Speedway had been sold to the japs. It was really stupid condiering TMMI was nearly 15 miles or so from the track but we all bought in hook line and sinker. Heartbroken yes but blaming Tommy no. In reality its just a matter of time for any track. Urban sprawl will get you everytime. We here in this area probably about to lose Ellis Park, a one of kind horse track with a very big history not only for our area but me personally. Now that is one you can legitemately chalk up to greed, this jackass doesnt even have a plan on selling it, he is just simply not getting what he wants from the Kentucky government. Ron Geary, a real
south end of a northbound donkey.
Last edited by Joey Woods; 4/20/09 at 10:06 PM.

4/20/09, 10:23 PM   #13
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Woods View Post
When toyota came to our area there was a rumor that Tri State Speedway had been sold to the japs. It was really stupid condiering TMMI was nearly 15 miles or so from the track but we all bought in hook line and sinker. Heartbroken yes but blaming Tommy no. In reality its just a matter of time for any track. Urban sprawl will get you everytime. We here in this area probably about to lose Ellis Park, a one of kind horse track with a very big history not only for our area but me personally. Now that is one you can legitemately chalk up to greed, this jackass doesnt even have a plan on selling it, he is just simply not getting what he wants from the Kentucky government. Ron Geary, a real
south end of a northbound donkey.
If it comes to that, maybe the Manzy operators will buy Ellis Park and run Sprint Cars there. There is a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow! Hey, stranger things have happened.
:cheers

4/20/09, 10:36 PM   #14
Motormasher

I would sign the petetion in a heart beat. The guy probably knew before he bought the place someone was interested in it.

Money isn't everything and try and build a new race track today. I would like to see what it would take to try and build a new one.

Obviously this guys heart wasn't in racing, its in his billfold. Sure he made a good business deal .... so what ? There is more to life than money.

4/20/09, 11:08 PM   #15
KOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
I've got to agree with Scott, the old story that "Money talks,and BS walks" hold true for Race Tracks also. It is a race track, but it is also a business, just like farming, seems like there are more people interested in getting a Box Store close to them, than they are a race track, so the Box Store wins, it has bigger bucks behind it. A few years back, we lost a mighty fine racing facility in Columbus, In, a fast half mile, with a 3 turn 1/4 or 3/8 in the middle, didn't take long, till it was a shopping mall, and I think now, some of the tennants wonder if they'll make it thru this year, it is sad, I've never been in a Wal-Wart store, have no desire to go in one, haven't lost a thing in one, my needs are simple, and as long as there are mom and pop stores left, that's where I'll buy what I need, I had my own business for several years, had a lot of good customers, hated to close it down, but no one misses you, service is not an issue anymore, if you don't like it, take it back, the Box Store's have the suppliers over a barrel, so they either give you another one, or return your money, at least that's what I've heard, it's kinda like another old story, "you reap what you sow", I suppose someday, we'll have to import all our food supplies, cause we wanted more big stores to shop in, and to heck with racetracks and downtowns. Folks that have never been in business, don't undertand, that you need to make a profit, in order to keep the business open, and when that lite gets dim, ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. It's a no win situation, you do it, because it makes you feel good, you get a chance to help people, and make a living at the same time, but it's not all roses. Bob
You have NEVER been in a Wal Mart? Hell dude, I want to shake your hand and buy you a beer! :cheers:
Last edited by KOP; 4/21/09 at 8:51 PM.

4/21/09, 6:45 AM   #16
TQ29m

You're on, if you've ever owned your own business, doesn't matter what, you'd understand why I feel I've not lost anything in there. I'll take you up on the cold Beer! Bob

4/21/09, 8:02 AM   #17
racephoto1

Bob, if your in small business , competing against wally world, you have lost one thing in there , MONEY !
Look at any small town with a walmart, good bye mom and pop stores.

4/21/09, 11:28 AM   #18
TQ29m

Honestly, I don't feel like we lost money, we just didn't make any, we did, however, lose some of our customers, that didn't understand the difference between service, quality, and product knowledge, which in the long run, didn't hurt all that much, and we did pick up some service work, which helped, as the markup in the initial sale wasn't that much. Actually, we held up pretty good, problem was that WalWart was telling the customers that things were covered by warranty, that weren't, which usually meant the left our store more aggrivated, than when they came in, but the bottom line still fell on WalWart. Like I have said, it is a "perceived" savings, or "assumed", we usually sold at prices that were lower, but just didn't see the numbers thru the doors to sell a lot of merchandise. They have really hurt the manufacturers, they have all kinds of "hoops" they have to jump thru, and they don't think a thing about calling in reps from several companies, that make about the same item, and have a "shoot out" right in the meeting, with the winner usually going broke a short time later. But, that's the age we now live in, so get used to it. Someday, that will be the only place you can buy anything, from new cars to haircuts, and it'll be on their terms, and their prices, then who'll be saving money? Bob

4/21/09, 6:22 PM   #19
sc96

You really dont want to get me started on the WAL-Mart thing what a bunch of greedy F&^%&$g B%$^&#@s they have trashed thousands of businesses and people run over each other to get inside one. BUT MARK MY WORDS THERE DAYS ARE NUMBERED. They will crash and burn big time they will reep what they got comming.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headb ang:headbang:headbang

4/22/09, 12:07 AM   #20
Spud

I went to Manzy a week before they closed it to see the ASCS Winged cars run. In the pits the people were saying that the owners of the track were going to open a new track a little further out of town. Was that just wishful thinking?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Destruction of Manzanita Speedway