IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The BEST you have ever seen?
1/17/08, 6:07 PM   #11
Re: The BEST you have ever seen?
cecil98

The best was Parnelli Jones, smooth and a nice guy that won a lot of stuff as well....D.O.

I agree D.O. Parnelli was simply incredible to watch live. He didn't have the best equipment but could make anything win if it would finish. He also quit openwheel so very quickly! He arrived in the Midwest from Torrence, CA in 1960. He won the USAC sprint championships in 60-61-62. Finished 2nd in 63 and quit the sprinters altogether. 1964 was his last full year in Indy/Champ cars. Did two Indy car races per year in 1965-66. Ran his last OW race (midget) winning the Turkey Nite Grand Prix at Ascot Park in 1966. Retired from OW racing completely after the 1967 500. Won a bunch of road races in sports cars and won a bunch of TransAm races on the road courses in Bud Moore's Mercury Cougars against the best road racers in the world. He doesn't have AJ, Mario and AL Sr's record but, he was the greatest I've ever seen. Who knows what he could of accomplished had he not quit OW, essentially, after only four years.

1/17/08, 6:54 PM   #12
Dwayne

A.J.Foyt Steve Kinser Ron Shuman

1/17/08, 7:02 PM   #13
tailtank

Sheldon Kinser. I remember seeing him at a USAC show down this way back in the 70's as a kid. The man could flat drive the wheels off a sprintcar.

1/17/08, 7:04 PM   #14
Heromaker

Ricky Shelton if it wasn't for a few bad choices he may have got somewhere. First time he seen a 1/2 mile pavement track (winchester) he smoked them. There is nothing he couldn't do with a race car.

1/17/08, 7:28 PM   #15
Hawker

Sprint Car - Sammy Swindell (I pick him over Steve because he sets up his own car)
Supers - James McElreath
Midgets - Page Jones

1/17/08, 7:36 PM   #16
PIT CART

Bob Psurny on pavement,Steve Kinser on dirt.

1/17/08, 7:41 PM   #17
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Oh, I don't know where to start, Hurtibise,Foyt, Hewitt,Wolfgang,Steve Kinser,Darland, Sheldon Kinser and the list goes on.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1/17/08, 8:03 PM   #18
hbr2004

Tony Stewart, Bobby Allison, AJ. Foyt...the best IMO.

1/17/08, 8:11 PM   #19
bigmojo5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heromaker View Post
Ricky Shelton if it wasn't for a few bad choices he may have got somewhere. First time he seen a 1/2 mile pavement track (winchester) he smoked them. There is nothing he couldn't do with a race car.

From JIM MORRISON
The question here is qualified with "I have ever seen." That eliminates Parnelli. I never seen him race.

Of those I did,

Best overall -- A.J. Foyt Jr. I've seen him race midgets, sprints, dirt cars and Indy. The one I remember was 1976 Hoosier Hundred when he went from last to finish second. Whatta drive.

Stewart is yet to win on the road courses like Foyt, but Foyt never won in a winged sprinter. Granted, it was a 360 but Stewart still brought it home first. I've seen Tony win in TQs, modifieds, midgets, sprints, Silver Crown, Indy Car, NASCAR, dirt late model and 360 winged sprint car.

Most fearless -- Pancho Carter
Best on the High Banks -- Pancho Carter

Smoothest -- Dick Gaines.

Most determined -- Steve Kinser

Clearly, this could go on forever and I've already left off several great drivers.

1/17/08, 9:27 PM   #20
SPRINTCAR

Roy Robbin's, he won the first Knoxville Nationals........no wings.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The BEST you have ever seen?