IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Oldham
2/23/08, 2:01 PM   #11
Re: Kevin Oldham
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullringko View Post
Hello everyone. This is Kevin Oldham - the real deal. Although I don't normally post on the message board, I thought I'd at least mention that I haven't completely retired from the writing deal, but Scott is correct. My job and desire for a personal life outside of racing have kept the articles to a minimum, especially over the winter months. I've actually enjoyed the time away without the pressure of trying to come up with something ingenious and creative week in and week out. In reality, I've really just written the same old thing every week since I started my article back in '99. Yes, I love this sport. I always will. But how many times and different ways can I possibly say that every week? It gets tougher and tougher with every year.

I'm still unsure of my status as a writer/reporter for 2008. I suppose when the weather gets warmer the juices will start flowing more freely and I may be more motivated to write, but as of right now, I am still burned out. I want to return to simply being a fan or to write with less frequency. The work that it takes to get an article out every week combined with everything else that is going on in my world has taken its toll. The rewards simply aren't there like they used to be. The sport isn't the same sport that I wrote about back in '99 either. The familiar faces are fewer and fewer each year and the cool stories are tougher and tougher to find. But there are still cool stories to tell. It's just that the people who can tell such stories seem to vanish more and more.

Even with all that I've said, I am currently working on a massive question and answer article chronicling the career of Eric Gordon. I've been working on it for the past couple of months and in about a week or so, I will have it finished. I highly doubt that this will be my last piece and to be honest, I have no idea how I will ever completely walk away from the writing thing. As Kevin Eckert once told me, "Write when you feel like you have something to say. Don't just write for the sake of writing." Somehow I'm going to try to adhere to that advice.

Regardless, it is flattering to know that so many have enjoyed what I've had to say. I'm not a writer, but rather just a fan like everybody else who has been given the opportunity to spread the word about this fine pasttime. We'll see how much longer I can keep it up.

Thanks,
KO

I think you are being kind of selfish, sounds like you only care about what is good for you and the heck with all of your fans. :rolling

Ok now that I have got your attention we also love your work and look forward to your next article, I also understand burnout as this deal can get you down real fast if you are not careful.

We welcome you back when you are ready. :respect: :checkered:

Jerry,Sarah,Paul and Josh Spencer #66j
www.joshspencer.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kevin Oldham