IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel Alums Filling Daytona Field
2/21/14, 5:37 PM   #11
Re: Open Wheel Alums Filling Daytona Field
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Hell, some of the Indy rides their governments purchase the rides for them.

Theres always been a lot of international racers in indycar, The only problem now is the Talented Americans don't get a fair shot based on talent alone like they used too.

Bring 5 million in sponsorship of half a milion just for indy and we'll talk about maybe putting you in a car, Doesn't matter that you've won or dominated in everything you've ever raced, Clauson, Larson, Bell among the younger ones being lost is a travisty and theres almost two three whole generations back to the Foyt, Unser days that never stood a chance. Some got rides here or there but It was always the race thursday at Terre Haute then sunday in the INDY 500, Then off to Springfield saturday then Milwalkee mile crowds could follow the same drivers in different divisions, all the papers wrote about it, They became Folklore, Not just a couple weeks news of the INDY 500 winner alone.

4 members like this post: DAD, FishBurger, kart31rac, team3521
2/21/14, 7:13 PM   #12
racephoto1

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but it would be a brilliant move for NASCAR to buy USAC. They would truly be a from the cradle to the winner's circle deal. From .25 midgets up to the cup series. There talent predominately comes from Midwest open wheel racing, so they would own the pipeline that supplies drivers for their series. They would build up name recognition from the talent pool they possessed . It wouldn't be whose Kyle Larson, it would be Kyle Larson , the guy you've watched since he was 5 in .25 midgets.

No , I don't like stock cars, but without them open wheel racing is a dead end street for a lot of people. Forty years ago or so it took you to Indy, now it's cash only. In Nascar at least they know the value of talent, they pay you. It's sad to see it this way, but it is what it is.

1 member likes this post: Panama
2/22/14, 10:06 AM   #13
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but it would be a brilliant move for NASCAR to buy USAC. They would truly be a from the cradle to the winner's circle deal. From .25 midgets up to the cup series. There talent predominately comes from Midwest open wheel racing, so they would own the pipeline that supplies drivers for their series. They would build up name recognition from the talent pool they possessed . It wouldn't be whose Kyle Larson, it would be Kyle Larson , the guy you've watched since he was 5 in .25 midgets.

No , I don't like stock cars, but without them open wheel racing is a dead end street for a lot of people. Forty years ago or so it took you to Indy, now it's cash only. In Nascar at least they know the value of talent, they pay you. It's sad to see it this way, but it is what it is.
Race

I know that hurt you to say that. But it is probably the truth. Why did USAC barge in on the QMA?

Do you think you could get a 5 year old to follow a script.

We need to ask ourselves why do open wheel drivers make great stock car drivers.

1. They learn respect for their cars, and other drivers at an early age. Rubbing wheels has more consequences than rubbing fenders.

2.They learn to drive race cars under all types of conditions, Loose>>Tight and still get the most out of the car.

3.They learn to drive on small BULL RING race tracks that require super fast reflexes and response to racing situations.

4.They learn to respect money invested in their race cars, because it is usually hard to come by.

5.They love racing in general and will race anything from tricycles to school buses, given a chance.

6. If they find that they can not advance any further in open wheel racing and are given a chance in another form of racing, "WHAT THE HECK GO FOR IT", It's still racing after all isn't it.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/22/14 at 10:18 AM.

3 members like this post: kart31rac, racephoto1, Task Force
2/22/14, 10:59 AM   #14
SpfldMile

I think Bobby Labonte ran the Chili Bowl a couple times. I hope the open wheel graduates do well. It's the real reason I'll be watching.

2/22/14, 11:21 AM   #15
miledirt

The number of open wheel guys starting in the 500 tomorrow is amazing. It is for me as well one of the main reasons why I am so eager to watch. It's just really disappointing to me that these guys can from .25 midgets to midgets/sprints to champ dirt cars and then a major open wheel IndyCar style division at places like Phoenix, Milwaukee, and yes Indy is not even an option.

You go on other IndyCar websites and try to discuss this and guys on there say that the likes of Clauson and Larson couldn't make it in IndyCar. So I get they are satisfied with just ride buyers and the continued decline of tv ratings.

OK enough of a Saturday morning rant! My hope is that Andy Hillenburg and team owners can give a rebirth to the Silver Crown division and make those events big shows again!

6 members like this post: DAD, jdull99, racephoto1, racing2bwithu2, SpfldMile, team3521
2/22/14, 1:17 PM   #16
DAD

Mile

Those guys are probably right. Seems that go-Kart racers make better F-1 and Indy car drivers. I guess with 1/4 turn lock to lock steering they are a lot closer to go-karts than other types of race car.
If they wanted to they could replace that rudimentary $10,000.00 play station steering wheels with a joy stick for the driver to use (open up the driver pool a little more) or perhaps even better a guy in California sitting in a big old recliner with a joy stick and TV screen in front of him. That would be really neat don't you think?

Lets take the danger out of racing and war, it would make both so much more enjoyable for all of us.

Honest Dad himself

2/22/14, 2:35 PM   #17
racephoto1

Actually, the open wheel guys that have got the opportunity acquit themselves well in Indy cars. BC 4 wide at Indy is a good example. The problem is Indy racing is so small in the national spot light, they can't afford to pay the talent like NASCAR. There aren't many large corporate sponsors. So the American talent goes were they get paid, NASCAR.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
2/22/14, 3:28 PM   #18
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Actually, the open wheel guys that have got the opportunity acquit themselves well in Indy cars. BC 4 wide at Indy is a good example. The problem is Indy racing is so small in the national spot light, they can't afford to pay the talent like NASCAR. There aren't many large corporate sponsors. So the American talent goes were they get paid, NASCAR.
Race

So what I am hearing is they have so much money invested in equipment and race cars they can't afford to pay for for good Open Wheel drivers? Back before the rear engined cars we all thought that an Offy was unaffordable. At least most racers felt that way, and that the Indy USAC guys were the elite racers among us. Those race cars were very expensive for the time and the car builders and owners had to get the most out of the car that they could, so they hired good drivers. Now I guess we could say that an Indy car is UBER expensive and the drivers monentary contribution to the team is much more important than his driving talent. So what they are really looking for now is the best financed driver they can find that has some driving ability with a lot of go-kart experience.

I would like for them to change their business model just a little and use a little less exotic equipment, I really don't care if they slow down 20 or 25 miles per hour doing so. But if they want to draw a crowd to their races they ought to highlight their drivers talents instead of their drivers national diversity and wealth. The group that they chose as customers or fan base is not large enough to sustain Indy as we grew up knowing it.

So that leaves me napping through a fender race tomorrow on TV listening for a familiar name while tons of red neck NASCAR fans stand up the whole race down there in Daytona only stooping long enough to reach down and pop another pull tab.
Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/22/14 at 3:33 PM.

2/22/14, 10:20 PM   #19
racephoto1

When the switch first went to rear engines, tires were free, Goodyear and Firestone were at war. Heck Foyt and Andretti made a killing financially from the tire companies. Twin cam fords were free, Ford supplied them. You could build a competitive car on your own, ask D.O., his family built the Mongoose. Costs were a lot less.

Similar to when the IRL started. $75,000 for a motor you OWNED. You took care of it, and made it fast yourself. The drivers were sprint car guys, Hewitt, Kinser, Brian Tyler, and such. They seemed to do well.

Then someone saw they could make a buck on the deal. Here comes the Japanese with engine lease programs, cubic dollars are now required. There goes the locals.

As they say though,"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Indy car racing is proof.

3 members like this post: jdull99, miledirt, Ricks Pics
2/23/14, 12:10 AM   #20
oljonesy

yeah no need to bring money, go ask kunz.

1 member likes this post: Task Force
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel Alums Filling Daytona Field