IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attention "Iceman" Fans...
8/12/11, 12:42 AM   #21
Re: Attention "Iceman" Fans...
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Terre Haute was far from a good track. I ate dust all night. It was actually dustier there. Terre haute did not take rubber though which made for a better race. It was windier earlier in the day, but like I said they could've watered it more. If everyone permanently boycotted every track that had a dusty rubbery night there would be very few dirt tracks left in existence. It was the first bad track in ten years for god sake. I hope THAT is more like last year on 9/10.

8/12/11, 12:45 AM   #22
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Ok. My turn to set the record straight. Yes they didn't do near enough work on track prep at Osky but it was also sunny and 30-40mph. wind gusts all day. That will make any track dusty. It was no worse than THAT sprint week which was also sunny and windy. I'm sorry but in those conditions there's not much you can do. This was the first time in the 10 year history of the race that there was dust so lets just give them another chance. It was tacky monday for the wings because it rained like hell sunday night. The winged fans I heard in the stands know the non-wing cars put on a better show when there's something to get ahold of and I assure you it'll be better next year. The racing there is better when it isn't too tacky like last year. McCarl gives each race equal billing and pays more for the non-wing race. The crowd at Knoxville was very good. I believe the front stretch grandstand holds over 20,000 people so a crowd of 7,000 may not look very big from the pits Mr.Gulick. I garuntee they made money that night only paying the standard USAC purse. In contrast they admittedly loose money every week on their weekly winged shows. The real reason the Iceman is headed back to Indiana is the lack of success he's had all year long and it's probably a good idea for him to get some more experience with different set-ups before trying to run USAC full time. Don't blame it on the race tracks that gave you a good track to run on Sunday and the highest single day purse of the year Tuesday. Have fun sharing the bill with 3 or 4 classes of fender bender's in Indiana! Hope to see you at Terre Haute though.
Terre Haute was considered by many to be the best race of Sprint Week. There were drivers running from the bottom to the top. Several came from deep in the field to contend for top 5 positions. Ballou, Darland, Clauson, Scheurenberg and Cottle to name a few. Drivers, team owners and fans alike have described a race at Oskaloosa that wasn't even remotely like the one at Terre Haute. And that no effort was made all day at track prep. So, you're trying to say that these people all drove most of the way across the Midwest just so they could lie about a track in your state? Coming from a guy that also needed to take a professional shot at a young driver and insult the Indiana racing scene to make your point, that kind of thing doesn't surprise me, I guess. I've been to this race multiple times and know that I'm not going back until they have a couple that prove they actually care about non-wing racing. Hopefully USAC will side with driver safety and not go back there, either.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/12/11 at 12:53 AM.

2 members like this post: agar, jim goerge
8/12/11, 1:19 AM   #23
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Where did I say the Osky race was better than THAT????? I said THAT was better...actually much better but also dusty. I drive 10 hrs. round trip to go to Indiana and have sat through many dust bowls at Terre Haute and Eldora but unlike you Jerry I keep going because I know it isn't always like that. For me, it has nothing to do with what state it is in. I haven't attended a winged race at Knoxville since the 80's. I drive twice as far to go to Terre Haute instead. If I boycotted THAT after the FIRST dusty race I saw there I would've quit going there in the 80's too. Knoxville and Oskaloosa are our only two chances for non-wing sprints remotely close to home which are still 2 and 1/2 hours each way. So I plead with everyone to go next year as I'm pretty sure McCarl got the message. You don't know how good you have it in Indiana. Just think how much more money I have to spend to see the same race you go to out there. A one night race at THAT cost me $115 in gas.$65 for cheap motel and $25 race ticket. I'll gladly spend it till the day I die, dusy or not, as long as it's non-wing. THAT is lucky to have fans like me and my family and it is good to see Indiana people in Iowa. For everyone's sake I pray Osky is prepped better next year.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

I almost forgot, Jerry. If you think USAC should boycott Osky next year due to safety then I guess they better Boycott racing at THAT and Eldora where they've had to cancell races due to dust!

8/12/11, 3:53 AM   #24
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowingsjeff View Post
I was at Southern Iowa Speedway Monday for All-Stars and Tuesday for USAC. Monday's show was typical locked down winged follow the leader garbage. Yet the track prep was really good. They had a full field of winged cars run a lot of laps with NO DUST what so ever, NONE. I was really impressed by that. No dust at a winged race is very rare. So, I'm salivating all day Tuesday thinking how good USAC was going to be on a track prepared the same way. Unfortunately, as the USAC machines were idling around putting heat in the engines the dust was billowing behind and they weren't even on the gas yet!

USAC ran eight heats, with two of them being pretty good racing.The rest of them were OK, but the feature just down right sucked. It was single file on the bottom. The cars were lifting way early and coasting around the turns, especially turns 1 & 2. The stands were packed with winged people that were in the area because of the upcoming Knoxville Nationals. I heard several of them yell that USAC sucks. And in reality that night they did suck, but not because of the sanctioning body or its drivers, but because of the piss poor track. But to those winged fans it was USAC and traditional non winged sprints that was the problem. That's sad, but that was their perception and their perception is their reality.

When USAC is at Knoxville, Southern Iowa Speedway, Lincoln Speedway in PA or other winged havens a pattern has been consistent. That pattern has been dry slick piece of crap track conditions. I don't think its by mistake either, it's by design. Those tracks don't want their regular clientele to see that there's something better than what they see on a weekly basis with their winged cars. Plain and simple, they're scared. Scared their fans will want more traditional sprintcar racing. Something that they can't deliver as most of those winged guys refuse to run sans wings. That's why Williams Grove won't even book USAC, they know it's a better show than their weekly or WoO show.

My feeling is, before USAC signs a contract with these winged tracks in the future, there needs to be a clause in the contract about proper track conditions. If they can't do that, then they shouldn't race there as they aren't doing traditional sprintcar racing any favors. In-fact, they're hurting the sport, just like they did this past Tuesday with many of the people at Southern Iowa Speedway .

Also a shout out to both Robert Ballou & Dave Darland for calling out the track prep guy before the feature, but especially Robert as he really let them have it. I don't care for the politically correct world we live in, so I found his calling them out refreshing.
One of the funniest posts I've read on here in a long time!

8/12/11, 5:19 AM   #25
Redwood17257

For those naysayers on the conditions at the Action Track for sprint week, yeah it had a tad bit of dust but the photo below should tell you that there was plenty of racing going on over the course of the night. As for the gentleman who questioned Coleman's ability to light the rubber and hammer the throttle, well, the bottom photo should help ease those misbegotten thoughts.
Welcome back to Indiana Team GCR, we'll be happy to see you rock this weekend! And if you bring the lacrosse sticks, I'll be happy to have a toss too as a fellow East Coaster from the past!

4 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer, TeamCGR, wildman92
8/12/11, 7:14 AM   #26
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

1 member likes this post: TeamCGR
8/12/11, 8:56 AM   #27
coachmeece

Is the iceman planning on running next Saturday at pvill for the mscs race paying 3000 to win?????
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: jim goerge, TeamCGR
8/12/11, 10:25 AM   #28
TeamCGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmeece View Post
Is the iceman planning on running next Saturday at pvill for the mscs race paying 3000 to win?????
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe so, Yes. Thanks.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/12/11, 10:27 AM   #29
staggerman

I just sit back and watch as two teams (Hoffmans and CGR) try to keep the fans up to speed with what they are doing and every post turns into a complaining session about one thing or another. Before we know it there won't be a team owner, driver, promoter, etc that will even participate on this board as everyone of their posts turn into a ***** session. JMO

8/12/11, 10:49 AM   #30
TeamCGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Ok. My turn to set the record straight. Yes they didn't do near enough work on track prep at Osky but it was also sunny and 30-40mph. wind gusts all day. That will make any track dusty. It was no worse than THAT sprint week which was also sunny and windy. I'm sorry but in those conditions there's not much you can do. This was the first time in the 10 year history of the race that there was dust so lets just give them another chance. It was tacky monday for the wings because it rained like hell sunday night. The winged fans I heard in the stands know the non-wing cars put on a better show when there's something to get ahold of and I assure you it'll be better next year. The racing there is better when it isn't too tacky like last year. McCarl gives each race equal billing and pays more for the non-wing race. The crowd at Knoxville was very good. I believe the front stretch grandstand holds over 20,000 people so a crowd of 7,000 may not look very big from the pits Mr.Gulick. I garuntee they made money that night only paying the standard USAC purse. In contrast they admittedly loose money every week on their weekly winged shows. The real reason the Iceman is headed back to Indiana is the lack of success he's had all year long and it's probably a good idea for him to get some more experience with different set-ups before trying to run USAC full time. Don't blame it on the race tracks that gave you a good track to run on Sunday and the highest single day purse of the year Tuesday. Have fun sharing the bill with 3 or 4 classes of fender bender's in Indiana! Hope to see you at Terre Haute though.
We appreciate your point very much. That is the beauty of this site; everyone can express their opinions without bias. You might be right on with some of your comments but others may feel differently. I'm not sure what your measure of success is in this sport since it is filled with so many highs and lows but again, your entitled to your opinion and we appreciate it. We're thrilled with Coleman's progress this year; 3 wins to date, multiple podiums and a track record on the tour but for some that may not be enough. All of this while he was still 17. However that might just be the Dad in me looking through rose colored glasses. Again, we appreciate your opinion and I am pretty sure Coleman will be at Terre Haute. Have a good weekend.

Pete G.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Attention "Iceman" Fans...